• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 212x Lack of power out of the hole?

Fordcrawln

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The boat does ok on its own, but pulling a skier or wakeboard it is really slow to get on plane. I have never replaced the impellers or wear rings and I was wondering if this could be the issue. I also had a dealer tell me that they don't have wear rings and have bearing that need to be pressed in, which sounded wrong to me. Any help would be appreciated. Also, how big of a job is it todo myself? I have built V-drive boats and trucks, but never messed with a jet.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
check for any obstructions in the jet tunnels and the condition of the impeller leading edges and the stator housing leading edges... bubbles in the jet pump output? Whats the condition of the jet tunnel sealant? check the clearance between the impellers and housings...

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You definitely have an issue. Your boat should be able to rip the handle from them under full throttle. Post some pictures of the impellers as @84rzv500r suggested.

Fordcrawln

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will take it apart this weekend. I was going to take it to a shop, but I can’t find one near me that will work on it. I guess 10 years is as old as they want. I was told that the impeller won’t come off the shaft and that I will need to replace the whole shaft and impeller, does that sound right? This boat has been great, but this will be the first time replacing any of it.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that is a possibility however there is no need to pull the impeller from the shaft unless it is damaged or out of spec OR unless there is damage Bearing, Seal or Vein)/water intrusion in the bearing/stator housing. my advice is get a service manual for your boat, read up here on jet pump and cavitation and then check /inspect everything you can before you just disassemble... the common things are stated here...

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was told that the impeller won’t come off the shaft and that I will need to replace the whole shaft and impeller, does that sound right?
A yamaha dealer told you this ??????

removing the impeller and shaft is an easy job, if the impeller didn't look good you could take it to a PWC shop and they can easily fix it,

first job is remove it and post some pictures for us,

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If this just happened and was not a gradual thing Most likely there is something in the pump even a small piece of fishing line will make it cavitate so carefully inspect the pump from under the boat on the trailer and see what you can find.
" I also had a dealer tell me that they don't have wear rings and have bearing that need to be pressed in, " if a dealer told you that stay away from that dealer

Last edited:

Fordcrawln

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you all for you input. Zipper, your link was great and it was really easy to take apart. I found a shop an hour away that didn't want to work on them, but finally said ok as long as I brought the parts in. I guess nobody wants to deal with these boats around here. The impellers were in good shape, but had too much clearance between the wear rings. The shop sent them out with the wear rings and had them reshaped to match the wear rings. The clearance now is super tight and I am looking forward to seeing how she runs. The only thing I noticed is that one of the impellers sits further into the wear ring than the other and I was wondering if that is common?

Fordcrawln

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anyone know where to buy the plastic washer things that go on the connection between the steering cable and the cone?

Attachments