• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Archive

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok … starting to think I’m paranoid and over thinking this. (One of my bad habits). Gotten some great advice so

Last edited:

Tony Prwivo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
How does the oil look on the dip stick ?

Tony Prwivo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Even on the dip stick it shows milky after you changed the oil and ran it ? If that is the case it doesn’t seem right.

Tony Prwivo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
i gues you could put some tape around where the dipstick goes in the tube seal it real good can’t see any way condensation could get in there that way and maybe give it another check just for peace of mind

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Might even pull the plugs and look for water droplets. In my past with 2 stroke PWC motors, if there was a gasket leak/crack and or if it had been submerged etc. the water would sputter the motor on hard acceleration from idle and clean up as it spun up the rpm. Water logged engines would clean up and run A-Ok once the water was gone. The head gasket - cracked head scenario would never clear up.

Good Luck.

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Might even pull the plugs and look for water droplets. In my past with 2 stroke PWC motors, if there was a gasket leak/crack and or if it had been submerged etc. the water would sputter the motor on hard acceleration from idle and clean up as it spun up the rpm. Water logged engines would clean up and run A-Ok once the water was gone. The head gasket - cracked head scenario would never clear up.

Good Luck.
Plugs looked ok to me- thoughts? 14A9A157-8A0A-46F5-9869-EC947D9ACA94.jpeg

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t like the look of either dipstick or that second bottle of oil. I’m not the milky oil expert, and there are quite a few here that are. Definitely do a search on “milky oil” here and hopefully others will chime in today.
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC @biffdotorg @drewkaree @Babin Farms

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Plugs looked ok to me- thoughts? View attachment 198285
Do all the plugs look the same? If you have water leaking into a combustion chamber, that cylinder will get steam cleaned. Top of the piston will be clean and the plug will be clean with respect to other cylinders

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Gonna break down and swing the oil by the dealership get their thoughts. Maybe fuel in the oil ? Could that be a possibility?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you smelled the oil? Smell like gas?
What does the underside of the fill cap look like? Milky?

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have you smelled the oil? Smell like gas?
What does the underside of the fill cap look like? Milky?
It had a bit of lighter residue- not much. Hard to tell on the smell - all smells a bit chemically to me. Not like pure gas tho

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would change the oil and filters again and see what happens.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A little gas in oil smells a lot like gas, not just chemicals.

What’s that bottle look like after sitting a couple days? Did it settle out or separate? If milky there would be water separating. If bubbles they should settle out.

It kinda just looks like clean oil with a decent amount of dirty oil in it to me, like you suggested.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little gas in oil smells a lot like gas, not just chemicals.

What’s that bottle look like after sitting a couple days? Did it settle out or separate? If milky there would be water separating. If bubbles they should settle out.

It kinda just looks like clean oil with a decent amount of dirty oil in it to me, like you suggested.
Kinda looks like aeration to me but I would still change it again to be sure.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As previously stated the condensation will build up under the oil filler cap and the oil would be very lite colored like milk, did you check the oil level with it sitting in the water ? It should be in the middle of the 2 marks on the stick maybe you have a hose leaking in the hull spraying water inside how does the air filter element look ?

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update: just changed oil & filter again, ran 20 minutes on the hose here is the result. Starting more and more to think that it was just new oil mixing with old oil not extracted from the pan.
starting to think some condensation made me paranoid. Think maybe I’m like a new mother with a coughing baby.
View attachment 198321View attachment 198325
That looks a lot better. I may even say “normal”.

Better for you to behave like you have a newborn than not. Costs less in the end.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i gues you could put some tape around where the dipstick goes in the tube seal it real good can’t see any way condensation could get in there that way and maybe give it another check just for peace of mind
What type of storage is the boat kept in? Uncovered, covered, heated, unheated?

I have a compressor kept in a detached garage, the cold and warm cycling of temps causes condensation inside the tank, as well as using it when it's cold outside. I leave the valve open unless it's going to be used, for this reason. I know TX had some weird weather, so maybe this is a similar occurrence.

Your plug looks beautiful, seems like this isn't related. The oil definitely LOOKS milky, but it wasn't bad in the first pic you showed. Perhaps running it heated everything up and hastened the trip into the oil, maybe there's just enough condensation to change the color, but not cause problems since you're heating everything up and maybe burning off any water over time.

I agree with @Babin Farms change everything and see, if it's better, you know to run it hard at the beginning of the season and THEN change the oil, and maybe just use a cheap oil and wait to change the filter. On your second or third Trip out, use your "good stuff" and call it good until the next season.

@AZMark is right, gas in your oil stinks like you mixed in a bit of oil with your gas, it's unmistakable.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score