• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone replaced the connext screen with a larger better option?

Craigmc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would like a larger screen in place of the 4.3 factory screen anyone done this?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No real options unless you add converters to the output on all the engen sensors as Yamaha is not using standard communication protocals. Many have tried and failed.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
replace it with the current connext screen or something aftermarket? I think both would be pretty difficult and expensive.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It would be super nice to be able to replace with a nice simrad or something, but I think it's all too proprietary.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would like a larger screen in place of the 4.3 factory screen anyone done this?
You are pretty much stuck with what you have. Yamaha's stuff is proprietary. Once of the best things they could do is to make it compatible.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm wondering if the connext screen is for reporting info, or if there's some need to have it in the mix as well.

If it can't be disconnected, what about simply removing it from the dash and mounting/stowing it in the gunnel area behind the throttles or somewhere similar to where you might mount an extra speaker? Like having it set up as almost an auxiliary screen at your right hand?

At the very least, somewhere just behind the helm, inside the door? Alarms would be a bit more of a PITA there, and I dunno if the cables would allow it to reach close enough to the door opening, but it could remain in play, while still being out of the way

Fabrication of a new panel wouldn't be that hard if you have the proper tools, and if you don't have the tools, you're not likely to be the person looking to attempt this after looking into it.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As the boats age and the connext units start to fail this will create all types of issues somewhere on this world someone or a team designed these things and has all the info of exactly how they work. It sucks that its under lock and key and that info could be so handy I would rather have analog controls for all the items that connext controls. These screens are already becoming a sought after item and after only a few years are not available from Yamaha.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As the boats age and the connext units start to fail this will create all types of issues somewhere on this world someone or a team designed these things and has all the info of exactly how they work. It sucks that its under lock and key and that info could be so handy I would rather have analog controls for all the items that connext controls. These screens are already becoming a sought after item and after only a few years are not available from Yamaha.
Apple's planned obsolescence model, on items costing multi tens of thousands of dollars.

This became clear to the average Joe, finally, when cars couldn't be bought due to the "supply chain". My current car was sought by me precisely because it didn't come with the in-dash map/control display. The maps won't be updated after a while, and if there's another issue with the screen, heat, a/c, radio, maps, etc are rendered useless, with the repair screen costing a thousand or more just to have a car with operable functions that used to be handled by a $5-50 switch that didn't disrupt 12 other functions.

Someone will come up with a workaround, but the person with an itch to upgrade will pass

midwest22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I went with just adding a tablet as a second screen on my 212S. Works nice for playing music and navigation with the navionics boating app. Used 2 suction window mounts to do it as a no drill option. Fits over the existing cell phone mount. Screenshot_20230818-231957.png
Screenshot_20230818-232459.png
I've replaced the USBC cable with a short black u shaped one since this pic so looks more clean.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with just adding a tablet as a second screen on my 212S. Works nice for playing music and navigation with the navionics boating app. Used 2 suction window mounts to do it as a no drill option. Fits over the existing cell phone mount. View attachment 206778
View attachment 206779
I've replaced the USBC cable with a short black u shaped one since this pic so looks more clean.
To my eye, that's a great upgrade! On my boat, that area has the tachs, and I don't find a need for them, so your idea is even better than moving the Connext screen, as it leaves it accessible to shut off alarms easier than moving it behind the helm would allow.

That might be one to copy, thanks for sharing!

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a tablet I use as well, with Navionics, but havent mounted it yet, where did you get the suction mounts, and how do they attach to tablet?

midwest22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a tablet I use as well, with Navionics, but havent mounted it yet, where did you get the suction mounts, and how do they attach to tablet?
I think I got mine at Costco as a 2 pack a while ago. They are Scosche brand Magic Mounts. They can use a adhesive metal plate on the decice, but the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite I use has either magnets or metal of its own that stick pretty good. Nice part about it being an Android tablet is it has split screen so I have the nav and my music app open in split screen.

This looks like it is the same ones I have...
Scosche MAGWSM-SP1 Magic Mount Magnetic Dash/Window Suction Mount for Mobile Devices Adjustable 360 Scosche MAGWSM-SP1 Magic Mount Magnetic Dash/Window Suction Mount for Mobile Devices Adjustable 360 - Walmart.com

Here is the short USB c cable I use to power it. Clips to the mount as well to keep things in place... Amazon.com

Here is the power adapter I use that can do fast charging since the USB A cables typically can't charge fast enough while using the device and it has 2 ports if you want to charge a phone...Amazon.com

Pic with the new cable...
PXL_20230820_032040446.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To my eye, that's a great upgrade! On my boat, that area has the tachs, and I don't find a need for them, so your idea is even better than moving the Connext screen, as it leaves it accessible to shut off alarms easier than moving it behind the helm would allow.

That might be one to copy, thanks for sharing!
How can you confirm both engines are running if you don't see the tachs? I don't have engine rpm's on my connext, screen. That is why I put the chart plotter on a ram mount so I can swivel out of the way and see the tachs when I stat.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How can you confirm both engines are running if you don't see the tachs? I don't have engine rpm's on my connext, screen. That is why I put the chart plotter on a ram mount so I can swivel out of the way and see the tachs when I stat.
I can't explain it, and I'm not saying you have a problem, but for some reason, I have stellar hearing at my age, and I notice the sound. The tachs offer visual verification, but I've never guessed wrong, so that's why I don't see them to be as vital to me.

That is a great point, however, and I see the utility of them regarding your point. It's another thing to think through, and address in some fashion, for the time where I start to slip, or the situation that's out of the ordinary from my typical boating. The suction cup mounts can be found with a hinge, so you could flip the tablet up, or more thought could net a better solution... This conversation is exactly what needs to happen, to trigger ideas

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't explain it, and I'm not saying you have a problem, but for some reason, I have stellar hearing at my age, and I notice the sound. The tachs offer visual verification, but I've never guessed wrong, so that's why I don't see them to be as vital to me.

That is a great point, however, and I see the utility of them regarding your point. It's another thing to think through, and address in some fashion, for the time where I start to slip, or the situation that's out of the ordinary from my typical boating. The suction cup mounts can be found with a hinge, so you could flip the tablet up, or more thought could net a better solution... This conversation is exactly what needs to happen, to trigger ideas
With kids in the boat, people talking, etc. music (not Loud) waves, other boat firing up there engines at the ramps, etc. etc. And my hearing is average I guess, hunting and target range have taken their toll a bit, as well as all the loud concerts I went to as a kid. I am not going to risk an engine on sound alone. I always take a visual on the tachs after starting. Also, the Admiral drives once in a while, the kids can drive and do once in a while. Especially when I feel like wakeboarding or tubing, etc. Would love to get them to the point where they could actually launch, dock or load the boat....... ah my dreams are small...... Part of their routine, is to very that that both engines are running. The can be a few things going on when a rider falls of and there are boats around. sometimes you need to come around pretty rapidly to head back toward your rider.. Engines get started and stopped, or can be multiple times while approaching people in the water.

One mistake and I could be out an engine.

Anyhow, I would of liked to remove the tachs or to put them inside the helm and secure them and cut/mod the dash panel to drop in the Chartplotter, but since our boats don't have the tachs on the Connext, that was a no go. I would much prefer having an in dash Chartplotter, and ALSO a Ram mounted tablet and the connext. But having to leave the tachs in I ran out of room. Unfortunately. Would be very cool if everything was NMEA compatible. Hate that Yamaha does their own thing.

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I think I got mine at Costco as a 2 pack a while ago. They are Scosche brand Magic Mounts. They can use a adhesive metal plate on the decice, but the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite I use has either magnets or metal of its own that stick pretty good. Nice part about it being an Android tablet is it has split screen so I have the nav and my music app open in split screen.

This looks like it is the same ones I have...
Scosche MAGWSM-SP1 Magic Mount Magnetic Dash/Window Suction Mount for Mobile Devices Adjustable 360 Scosche MAGWSM-SP1 Magic Mount Magnetic Dash/Window Suction Mount for Mobile Devices Adjustable 360 - Walmart.com

Here is the short USB c cable I use to power it. Clips to the mount as well to keep things in place... Amazon.com

Here is the power adapter I use that can do fast charging since the USB A cables typically can't charge fast enough while using the device and it has 2 ports if you want to charge a phone...Amazon.com

Pic with the new cable...
View attachment 206813
Thanks, I will have to check those out

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With kids in the boat, people talking, etc. music (not Loud) waves, other boat firing up there engines at the ramps, etc. etc. And my hearing is average I guess, hunting and target range have taken their toll a bit, as well as all the loud concerts I went to as a kid. I am not going to risk an engine on sound alone. I always take a visual on the tachs after starting. Also, the Admiral drives once in a while, the kids can drive and do once in a while. Especially when I feel like wakeboarding or tubing, etc. Would love to get them to the point where they could actually launch, dock or load the boat....... ah my dreams are small...... Part of their routine, is to very that that both engines are running. The can be a few things going on when a rider falls of and there are boats around. sometimes you need to come around pretty rapidly to head back toward your rider.. Engines get started and stopped, or can be multiple times while approaching people in the water.

One mistake and I could be out an engine.

Anyhow, I would of liked to remove the tachs or to put them inside the helm and secure them and cut/mod the dash panel to drop in the Chartplotter, but since our boats don't have the tachs on the Connext, that was a no go. I would much prefer having an in dash Chartplotter, and ALSO a Ram mounted tablet and the connext. But having to leave the tachs in I ran out of room. Unfortunately. Would be very cool if everything was NMEA compatible. Hate that Yamaha does their own thing.
I forgot about your cupholder mount, that's an easy fix too, that's not permanent, but still provides the same result. You had RAM mounts for everything IIRC, which is the mounts I'm 100% sold on, despite the price. They have never failed me in a semi, or delivery truck, which is more than enough proof of their quality.

Going down the path of trying to keep them visible, I know they make gauge clusters for cars that guys use for aftermarket setups, I wonder how much cable is available for something like that, to remove them from that area, but still have them out for ready access 🤔

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone tried replacing the AR 250 7” connext screen with the 12 inch version or even just a basic touchscreen monitor?