• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L exhaust manifold dumping water.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my "freeze" plug is on the top of the uppermost fitting in the exhaust system

Being in position it would still protect for freezing??
Not exactly. Water would have to be packed in to the top to pop it out

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright so JB welded it with kiwis weld this after noon, let it sit for 1.5 hour. Calls for 1 to fully cure.

took it to the lake to lake test. It popped out on the 3rd full speed run.

guess next step is to throw slow cure JB weld On it and do a better job coating plug. Maybe trying to do a little packing behind it.

problem is it’s hanging upside down in the engine compartment.

the kiwi weld is rated for 4000psi and the regular stuff is over 5000psi.

Attachments

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, I called about gaskets if I pulled the exhaust off I am a week out to get them shipped in. No one local has them.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok if all else fails remove the manifold which shouldn't be extremely difficult and have the plug tig welded in place. A good welder should be able to put a nice bead around the edge. You will just need new gaskets

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok if all else fails remove the manifold which shouldn't be extremely difficult and have the plug tig welded in place. A good welder should be able to put a nice bead around the edge. You will just need new gaskets
This or get it tapped and put a threaded plug.

That is really weird they are popping out like that, I don’t think those can be the exact right size plug. Are you getting the epoxy all around the edge? It looks clean on the lower half of the rim in that pic.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, decided screw it. Pulled the manifold off and added more JB weld in and all around the plug. Also punched the edge so that it would pinch the opening smaller after putting the plug in.

I think our chances are good that it won’t come out this time.

it only took about 45 mins to get it out and about the same to get it back in.

I did reuse the Gasket that goes to the block.

F9EC68B0-8729-4DA5-8EE8-7B54B91CDA39.jpeg3082E654-21EA-4F15-BAFC-A35BB721224C.jpegC82B8F9E-EFA9-4E7B-80B1-025188A1A0FE.jpeg

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright. Did test run, glass conditions on the lake!

so the plug stayed in due to the punches narrowing the hold.

there is still water seeping under high pressure through the seal. Enough to kick the bilge in after day 4-5 mins of full throttle.
(One thing I didn’t think of is I have the rear hatch taking apart and I went from full throttle to idle so probably has some splash over the back that filled up the bilge too)

I was alone so didn’t have anyone to check while I was driving to see how much spray was coming out at full throttle.

my neighbor down the street aluminum welds so that may be the next step, seeing if he can just bead the whole thing in.

61505D96-9DD6-4A58-9780-EA3B0F5CC735.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder if I'm fighting the same plug issue.

I've crawled all over my engine bay while a friend drove the boat at WFO and I didn't see a leak, but man there sure are some tell tale signs of water spraying in that same area.

Add it to the list of WTF things I need to check.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I get it to seal, and I go back to no water in the hull this could be your issue too. For the last 75 hours or so the boat has been taking an water at full throttle with no luck of locating the source. Probably had our heads in the engine and the bilge first 4 hours plus trying to locate a leak.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

doing a little more research, here is the cooling water flow, this is for a 192 with a intercooler (I believe is #2) but other than that it should be the same for yours,

I'm confused because you can see the water input at the bottom of the exhaust sleeve and it appears to take some water
a. into the exhaust manifold and then into the engine
b. passes it through sleeve to the exit fitting on top of the sleeve to the

is the box in the red circle going to the exhaust system to exit via the water box or is it flowing towards the motor ?
I can't find that box on the parts schematic to give it a proper name.

SHOCooling edited.jpg

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that I hav the manifold off again.

blowing air in the bottom hose, air comes out the exhaust into theblock.

blowing air in the top port. Air comes out the back towards the water box.
3F7ED640-3AC4-41F9-A426-A338D6FE26A2.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

doing a little more research, here is the cooling water flow, this is for a 192 with a intercooler (I believe is #2) but other than that it should be the same for yours,

I'm confused because you can see the water input at the bottom of the exhaust sleeve and it appears to take some water
a. into the exhaust manifold and then into the engine
b. passes it through sleeve to the exit fitting on top of the sleeve to the

is the box in the red circle going to the exhaust system to exit via the water box or is it flowing towards the motor ?
I can't find that box on the parts schematic to give it a proper name.

View attachment 131041

I think the red circled item in the last image is the voltage regulator. At least the regulator on my '17 AR190 is water cooled.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, took the boat out to run it this morning after JB welding it. water still found its way through.

decided to pull it off again, Found a small air pocket in the JB so figured I would put more JB over it to make sure I had a good seal.
39F56B86-47D6-4437-99D5-42E188047D52.jpegCFF49C19-038E-4622-8067-E8002C17D32F.jpeg

Took it for another run tonight, still got water making it through the JB.

going to pull the manifold back off tonight or tomorrow morning and have it tig welded by a professional. Hope this works.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, took the boat out to run it this morning after JB welding it. water still found its way through.

decided to pull it off again, Found a small air pocket in the JB so figured I would put more JB over it to make sure I had a good seal.
View attachment 131095View attachment 131096

Took it for another run tonight, still got water making it through the JB.

going to pull the manifold back off tonight or tomorrow morning and have it tig welded by a professional. Hope this works.
What a giant pain, I’d be less calm than you seem.

You live on the water? You get out there a lot. It’s at least a week between test runs for me so that would make this a month long fix.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What a giant pain, I’d be less calm than you seem.

You live on the water? You get out there a lot. It’s at least a week between test runs for me so that would make this a month long fix.
This is a rental boat, I’m usually at the lake every day. This being down is costing me $2-3k in revenue loss for this weekend alone

however the goal was to get the boat paid for which I did and a large profit after that as well. I only had two weeks left in my planned season. I think I may just call it and chill the next two weekends. I have done 110 rentals this season. I’m tired. Boats had 300 hours out on it this year and sitting at 500 total.

But I am eyeing the 255 FSH as my next boat so May rent another season or two so I can pay cash for the next one.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, good thing I said I’m ready to be done with the season....

took it to be welded today and they confirmed the manifold was cracked and said it was most likely from water freezing in the pipe.
2DDEA067-85DF-4FCF-A922-92CF46A80EB6.jpegD05A5D20-D3D4-4BE0-AFA7-0401409DB1CF.jpeg

now to try and locate one, they are on back order.

@2kwik4u I would check this on yours as well.
After pulling the manifold off I can see where water was spraying from the backside of the manifold onto the engine block. this most likely was my mystery leak that we couldn’t locate.

6E512325-9E97-43A6-8F43-F498D7161D7A.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And also to mention, the cracks couldn't be seen until some sanding was done on the piece

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes to clarify, he said my JB weld probably was sealing the hole. After sanding to prep for welding and cleaning out the JB weld he noticed the cracks and as he sanded they only got bigger, But we’re not visible until he started sanding.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@B0at1n thanks for the tip!

What's a manifold removal look like mechanical and time wise?

I'll go dig around the boat here shortly and see what I can figure out.

Are you repairing or replacing the manifold?