• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L Timing Chain Confirmation

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It can but you need many other components. Since the sprockets are different you need those too and the crank sprocket is part of the crank itself. Cam sprockets too which i am not sure is they are removable or part of the cams, chain guides, tensioner.....
Lots of expensive parts. On Greenhulk forums there was a complete kit and it was in the thousands
Thanks, I couldn't tell from the pic of the timing chains if the sprockets were different.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure you torque the bolts down to the specification plus sometimes you have to follow a sequence.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Interesting how this kinda went away and didnt continue with many more failures.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting how this kinda went away and didnt continue with many more failures.
They fixed most all SVHO skis which accounted for almost all of the failures, and the problem (almost) went away. It was very rare in HOs. All new (past 7/15) production 1.8s have the beefier TC and tensioners .

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Really unusual since I had one break at about 360hrs and the other has 520hrs on it and it is still running strong but how can you trust it? And I had a 2010 supercharged with about 650hrs on it with no chain issues. And those were the ones that were the first to hatch from what I remember. I also recall people saying only the supercharged engines were hatching at first due to the extra stress on the chains.
So maybe they tried using the weaker ones in a less stressful situation like naturally aspirated engines thinking they would be ok in that situation only to have those hatch and damage the reputation of the 1800 engines in all categories, both supercharged and non supercharged.
It is also rather odd that at the end some of those chains were hatching at very very low hours , so It makes me lean toward a bad batch of chains and wonder how they ended up in all the engines ? And then the new chains and gears came along and all is well with the 1800 engines N A and supercharged.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shouldn't Yamaha do a recall on this since they put a shitty chain on here in the first place? Seems to me this is their fault for using this part....

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hoping I never have to deal with this issue.......
It is extremely rare to happen in boat N/As.
I have followed this issue pretty closely. I would guesstimate a frequency of TC failure in 1.8 N/As would be in the 1/500 - 1/1000 range, maybe even lower. If that is the case - it is not much different that a rate of MR-1 engine failures, which are considered bullet proof. So - overall - still extremely reliable engines.
The bottom line: if your boat were to ever experience a serious issue, it will more likely be something else (than TC failure).

--

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is extremely rare to happen in boat N/As.
I have followed this issue pretty closely. I would guesstimate a frequency of TC failure in 1.8 N/As would be in the 1/500 - 1/1000 range, maybe even lower. If that is the case - it is not much different that a rate of MR-1 engine failures, which are considered bullet proof. So - overall - still extremely reliable engines.
The bottom line: if your boat were to ever experience a serious issue, it will more likely be something else (than TC failure).

--
We can hope mine is a sx190 with the n/a HO

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Shouldn't Yamaha do a recall on this since they put a shitty chain on here in the first place? Seems to me this is their fault for using this part....
It sounds like Yamaha is opting to replace the damaged engines (even out of warranty from what I have been reading) rather than put out a very expensive recall. They sure take their time getting parts to people effected though. It seems to me like they are riding the line between a class-action suit pretty hard considering the safety issues at stake when there is a power loss at 50mph out in the ocean. My fingers are crossed and I am hoping for the best on my AR192.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like Yamaha is opting to replace the damaged engines (even out of warranty from what I have been reading) rather than put out a very expensive recall. They sure take their time getting parts to people effected though. It seems to me like they are riding the line between a class-action suit pretty hard considering the safety issues at stake when there is a power loss at 50mph out in the ocean. My fingers are crossed and I am hoping for the best on my AR192.
I don't really think it's as widespread as it seems reading message boards. I could see the possibility for injury in skis, but it would have to be a perfect storm for injury on a boat. That's where lawsuits would come in play if there is injury. While Yamaha may take the sweet time fixing them (they are fixing them) you aren't going to get a class action against them for inconvenience.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So if my boat is 2016 SX 240, but both motors are built 06/2015. What does that mean? Should I worry?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So if my boat is 2016 SX 240, but both motors are built 06/2015. What does that mean? Should I worry?
Not really, seems to be a supercharged model problem. Even if you have the weaker chain, I doubt you would have an issue. At least that's my understanding of the issue.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh! I would be very curious to know. The only way to find out (I think) is the pull the head cover, not a big job but needs a new gasket.

--

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only have bit over 40 hours on it. Bought is used last month with 20 hours on it... but it took some major elbow grease to get it looking good again. Not sure how someone can neglect boat so much..e

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only have bit over 40 hours on it. Bought is used last month with 20 hours on it... but it took some major elbow grease to get it looking good again. Not sure how someone can neglect boat so much..e
IIRC mine are 7/2015.
I was assured that's w/new TCs (4-links) but if you pull your head cover I guess I shall feel obligated to pull mine? lol.

But in all seriousness I wouldn't lose sleep over that.

--

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol!! I have more pressing issues to deal with! I am maxing out 7300rpm..can’t get to my top speed. During test drive, when I was buying the boat, I was hitting 48mph at 7500rpms. Now, 20 hours of tubing and wake boarding later, my top speed is down to 44mph.
I put new spark plugs today, but it did not change rpms. Checked throttle cables and they all good. Oil seems bit dirty and bit high, that’s about it. I wonder if dealer put something like octane booster in...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if dealer put something like octane booster in...
No, that wouldn;t work. If it was only that simple! These n/a engine have no knock sensors and don;t pull timing so you will actually run hotter/stronger on low octane fuel.
Wouldn't hurt to check the air filters, but another big factor is air temps and humidity. Also hull cleanliness albeit dirty hull would slow down the speed but not necessarily drop RPM (in a jet boat) as much.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Timing chain failures are not just supercharged engines I had one go at 350 hours just cruising along , it is a non supercharged 1800 2014 model The supercharged chains did seem to be more susceptible to the issue in the beginning however I had a 2010 supercharged with over 600 hours with no problems. I have had no issues with my other 2014 1800 engine that now has over 700 hours. We may never know why some fail and some don't but one theory is it was a bad batch of chains and we will never know why some people report that Yamaha covered the issue and some that say Yamaha left them flat and refused to cover the issue. My chain was under warranty and fixed just fine. Want to know if you have the new chains I am told you can pull the valve cover and look at it also you can look at the chain and see if any parts are broken while rotating the engine to allow you to view the entire chain.