• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L Timing Chain Confirmation

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 AR192 and had concerns regarding the timing chain issues, discussed at length here, on the 1.8 liter engines. Swatski posted he had been told Yamaha addressed the timing chain issue in the 1.8l engines built after 7/15 by putting in beefier timing chains consisting of 4/5 links as opposed to the 3/4 linked chain in models prior.

I popped the plastic cover off my engine last night and the label on the top indicated it was built 7/15 (of course). I went ahead and unbolted the top of the engine to reveal that my engine built in 7/15 did indeed have the thicker, 4/5 linked timing chain. I just wanted to confirm what Swatski was told by his Yamaha tech and hopefully put a few minds at ease.

20171025_213842.jpg

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you pulled off the valve cover is the gasket an o ring or some type of reusable gasket?

Thanks,
Mark

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No gasket or o-ring, the cover just lifts up. This may help:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's not just the timing chain that was changed but this is the easiest way to confirm. I've only seen one report on greenhulk of an updated timing chain break and that was on a race ski IIRC. So far so good for the 2016+ upgrades :thumbsup:. Ultimately time will tell. It took several years for some of the 2010's to show some issues. The 2014-15's seemed to much happen sooner so hopefully this is a sign they have fixed the weak link(s) ...excuse my corny pun :D.

Now my next mod for increasing longevity and reliability is to install a BOV to save my SC clutch.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to clarify, the way I understand this debacle, the timing chain part has changed for 2016 MY.
It is shared between N/A, SHO and SVHO models.
The old part is 94591-66152-00, new 94591-74152-00. Here is the visual:

14-15 Chain 3Link/4Link

16 Chain 4Link/5Link

@ROGUE111 - thank for the pics! Looks like you do not have that problem.

--

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ROGUE111

I mean the valve cover not the plastic cover. I just don’t want to pull it then not have a gasket.

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ROGUE111

I mean the valve cover not the plastic cover. I just don’t want to pull it then not have a gasket.
Yes sir, when pulling up the valve cover there wasn't a gasket or any type of seal. After removing the SP boots and little sensor at the stern end, there were 8 bolts to remove the valve cover. I pulled it up enough to snap a pic and put back down and bolted everything back in reverse.

Hope that helps.

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well crap, I looked in the SHO service manual and apparently there is a "not reusable" gasket that must have stayed on the cover when i pulled it up.

Those with mechanic knowledge believe I should go back in and replace the gasket?

20171026_131923.jpg 20171026_131743.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it were me I wouldn't reuse it.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure to use yamabond4 when you replace the gasket as indicated in your pic of the service manual. Otherwise the cam "notches" will suck in and leak badly. Ask me how I know ;)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would ABSOLUTELY replace the gasket.

--

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure to use yamabond4 when you replace the gasket as indicated in your pic of the service manual. Otherwise the cam "notches" will suck in and leak badly. Ask me how I know ;)
Thanks, will do. Anyone wanting to check their own chain, Yamaha Sports Plaza has replacement gaskets (item 6BH-11193-00-00) for $28.

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the gasket is soft and plyable you can reuse it but always apply sealant to the half round portions and and spot where there is a seam from different components.
You can always tell a good gasket when you place it down firmly and watch when you tighten the bolts it still squishes down further.
When the gasket sits completely in the cover it should be raised from the cover surface

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know if the timing chain on the pre 2016 chain can be replaced with the new chain? It doesn't look like it would be that hard.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It can but you need many other components. Since the sprockets are different you need those too and the crank sprocket is part of the crank itself. Cam sprockets too which i am not sure is they are removable or part of the cams, chain guides, tensioner.....
Lots of expensive parts. On Greenhulk forums there was a complete kit and it was in the thousands