• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hr service how much grease for the bearing housing

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have searched the other forum endlessly to find this answer and it varies drastically. The manual says fill the grease slowly because it can damage the hoses and joints at 10 hr service 1.11-1.18 every 100 hr .20-.27. The 2013 242 doesn't have a hose. I have seen people say they do 3-4 pumps, some do 20 and some do 40 on the 10 hr service. Who is right? I definitely do not want to over fill. I have also read the 1 oz amount applies to boats that have the hose and the manual was wrong. I'm doing the 10 hr service this week and would love some feedback on this.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm interested in the answers as well as this maintenance item seems like and enigma to me! The last time I did it I pinched the hose with my fingers to feel how easy it was to pinch. Then I added a few pumps of grease and just kept pinching the hose to see how much firmer it got, and stopped at the point where I could just barely depress the hose by pinching.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't know what the answer is without the hose to verify it is getting full. The amounts are spec'ed in the manual, but you really have to know the amount your gun pumps with each stroke of the handle in order to know how much you put in without the hose to help verify. Of course you know that the 10 hour service is installing grease in the housing for the first time. The grease that it is assembled with isn't the housing grease and for some reason, Yamaha delivers it without full housing grease. Hence the reason the 10 hour service gets so much more than the typical annual service. I will be facing this too and may end up measuring the grease to verify stroke quantity. Another idea, is to attach a zerk gun fitting to a clear 50cc syringe. That way you can install an exact amount. Any ideas on how to attach a zerk nozzle on a syringe?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
In looking up how to calibrate a grease gun, they recommend using a postal or food scale to measure the weight of grease applied per stroke and then adjust strokes to equal the amount of grease desired. Apparently, common grease gun delivery rates for 1 oz of grease is 26, 28, or 40 strokes...but I read that they are really all over the map in reality. I intend to use my food scale, and measure the grams of 3 separate strokes, divide by three, and use that number to deliver the grams needed to install the grease. There are 28.3495 grams per 1 oz. Then it dawned on me...our manuals call for a volume, not a weight. Ugh.
240/242 boats...intermediate bearing housing..
At 10 hour service - 33.0 ~ 35.0 cc (1.11 ~ 1.18 oz.)
Annual service - 6.0 ~ 8.0 cc (0.20 ~ 0.27 oz.)

Any idea of a good way to measure volume per stroke? I am guessing using a very small cc marked vessel may be the easiest and just do it the same, measure out 3 strokes and divide by three. One other note, everything says to clear the gun of air or voids with as many strokes as necessary to what appears to be a full stroke before you install grease. That is in addition to cleaning both the zerk and gun nozzle before application. I am not sure I have ever cleaned the zerk and they are always dirty on most applications. No need to introduce contaminants, but mainly, you could plug up the zerk and make your job harder. I am hoping someone has a better way to do this and can pass it along too.

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Dumb idea. What if you took a glass vile that measures CC's squeeze say 10 shots of grease. Apply a little heat to break it down then you have your base for 10 shots?

I'm just thinking as I have to address this this week as well.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I intend to use one of my wife's syringes to measure the volume of a few strokes of the handle and get an average per stroke...at least until someone else determines an easier way.

On the 230 boats, pumping while watching the hose carefully is an adequate alternative, the hose begins to become rigid as it fills to minimal resistance.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I intend to use one of my wife's syringes to measure the volume of a few strokes of the handle and get an average per stroke...at least until someone else determines an easier way.

On the 230 boats, pumping while watching the hose carefully is an adequate alternative, the hose begins to become rigid as it fills to minimal resistance.
In the CARB boats you can do the same. There is a hose from the fitting on the top back of engine.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have no hose...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no hose...
I will gladly lend you one of mine!

Ho's.jpg

I typically make sure that the gun is full and put two or three squeezes into each - I figure some is better than none and too much can cause an issue. Based on what Group K posted, this is a seal, not a lubricant - the bearings are sealed.

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did the 10 hour service yesterday and yamaha put the hose back on the bearing. Not sure where it was on the older boats but it sure is handy where it is now.
photo.JPG

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a hose attached to the zerk fitting that runs down the back of the engine to the bearing housing.

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Thanks. I just did mine this week and I have no tube running to the zerk fitting. had to measure output of grease gun ( 1 cc per squeeze) so I got the right amount into the housing.

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did the same thing with the grease gun. I have a pistol grip one and it put out around .7 cc per squeeze.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did mine by feel. Just pump very slowly and you will feel the resistance in the gun. I didn't believe it before I did it either. Oh, and I have a hose but not on the bearing on the boat.

As to measuring, get a graduated cylinder, fill it half with water, pump your grease into the water and measure the difference.

mattmila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are supposed to use Yamalube A grease for the bearing housing? Does anybody know what is its base? Is it aluminum, lithium or calcium?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know what the answer is without the hose to verify it is getting full. The amounts are spec'ed in the manual, but you really have to know the amount your gun pumps with each stroke of the handle in order to know how much you put in without the hose to help verify. Of course you know that the 10 hour service is installing grease in the housing for the first time. The grease that it is assembled with isn't the housing grease and for some reason, Yamaha delivers it without full housing grease. Hence the reason the 10 hour service gets so much more than the typical annual service. I will be facing this too and may end up measuring the grease to verify stroke quantity. Another idea, is to attach a zerk gun fitting to a clear 50cc syringe. That way you can install an exact amount. Any ideas on how to attach a zerk nozzle on a syringe?

This is all assuming of course that they actually bother to grease the bearings at the 10-hour service. I'm looking at YOU Team Winnebagoland in Oshkosh WI. :mad: I let them do the 10-hour. When I went to grease them myself at the end of the following season, the hoses were bone dry and clean. No way they had ever seen grease. Lucky for my bearings, I don't put a lot of hours on the thing.

Will a dealer ever see my boat again? No way.

Didn't mean to hijack. Just feel the need to vent whenever this topic comes up.

Moral of the story: Make sure you're getting what you paid for.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And to reiterate, not to beat a dead horse, the bearings are sealed and do not get any of this grease as lubrication. The grease forms a seal and protects against water intrusion into the intermediate bearing housing. For the life of me, I don't know why they can't just fill the thing the first time at the factory, instead of all this. I sure would like to see a cross section of the inside of this housing and how it fits with the rest of the boat, and what the actual purpose is.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FWIW, this is the seal side of the housing (from a LX2000) that butts up against the transom plate. This is what the grease is protecting from drying out, becoming brittle, and leaking. It's a cylindrical void from the edge of the seal to the intermediate shaft.
IMG_2903.JPG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yes, the grease protects the seal, not the bearings. so if I am seeing this right, the drive shaft with the impeller mounted on it, slides int this unit through the transom plate, that is sandwiching the hull between it and the seal side of this, the intermediate bearing housing? In this hub, what is the grease, what is the seal? I can see the bearings there, and it looks like they are exposed and open to the grease to me. But they are reported to be sealed bearings on the newer boats, but admittedly, I have not googled them to see exactly what bearings they are. In V-drive boats, you have a packing that must be kept up. I just wish we had a little more explanation of what we do and why. I get the manual and can do just that, but what am I doing and why. Any chance you can diagram this part and what each of the rings are made of and the purpose as you see it? And where exactly is the grease going in this? It looks like the nipple is on the other side of whatever we are looking at.