• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195s audio power problems! Blowing fuses. (PIC HEAVY)

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Let’s compare notes….What’s odd… similar issue..when I mounted my first amp. The auto on worked just fine.. now after this upgrade for some reason (even with key off) when I turn the battery switch on the whole system turns on. Not sure if it’s because I added acr and dual battery, or if I wired something wrong with the remote wire through the sound system.

3rd thought - maybe something to do with having the NOCO charger hooked up?
Checked the auto on off - when I power off the stereo the amps turn off- so the issue has to be somewhere else… good new amps wires fine.

TXtraumaRN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Let’s compare notes….What’s odd… similar issue..when I mounted my first amp. The auto on worked just fine.. now after this upgrade for some reason (even with key off) when I turn the battery switch on the whole system turns on. Not sure if it’s because I added acr and dual battery, or if I wired something wrong with the remote wire through the sound system.
Are you running your remote wire off the head unit or independently? I would think the the dual battery system shouldn't have an effect either way.
Also, before I even changed, added, or altered anything, my head unit and display has always fired up when the battery is turned on. If not acknowledged in some way (volume, connecting BT, or changing song/station) it will power back down in a minute or so.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you running your remote wire off the head unit or independently? I would think the the dual battery system shouldn't have an effect either way.
Also, before I even changed, added, or altered anything, my head unit and display has always fired up when the battery is turned on. If not acknowledged in some way (volume, connecting BT, or changing song/station) it will power back down in a minute or so.
Ok good to know maybe Everything is fine. I’ll give it some time and see.

Yes I am using the blue wire from the head unit for the remote on off. Wired to the remote connection in the amp then bridged to the second amp. I also have the powered sub remote blue wire connected there at the amp remote connection.

Attachments

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like I just needed som patience - you were right. So summary - when i turn on battery everything starts to boot. When I turn off it takes a little while but it “boots down” or powers down. Now key off electronics off! Yay!!! Got worried I had messed something up.

TXtraumaRN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
looking at your pictures it may be the MA4505, minimum 4 gauge wire.

There is no need for a distribution block if you are only running one amp from the source.

Typically the amp turn on should come from the receiver.

check all of your +12VDC wiring to make sure it isn't shorted to ground.
Correct, I'm running the MA4505 to push two JBL 8.5" MT8HLB Tower speakers and a
Kicker 46CWTB104 (10" enclosed sub). The distribution block is because I'm also going to be running a JBL MA704 to push the 4x6.5" cabin speakers and a 300w 26k lumen light bar.
The toggle switch for the remote wire (pictured) is just for testing so that I'm not having to keep turning the whole system on/off. But I will be running the remote through a switch panel for the reasons noted in my response to @Farny above.

Doublechecked all wiring and everything was wired correctly, but still blowing fuses. Bypassed the distribution block and voila, everything is working. So I need to figure out the block problem, then I'll be upgrading to a 120a inline fuse with a 3' 2awg run to a new distribution block and 100a fuses with 4awg runs to each Amp (<24" each run).

Last edited:

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Curious - where are you mounting your two subs?

TXtraumaRN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Curious - where are you mounting your two subs?
Currently they are under the starboard aft passenger seat, but not really sure I'm happy with it being enclosed. I'll play with it and figure something out. I still have a long way to go...

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Currently they are under the starboard aft passenger seat, but not really sure I'm happy with it being enclosed. I'll play with it and figure something out. I still have a long way to go...
Yea not sure there is any optimal place to put the subs on our boats. I would like to put one on the anchor locker wall in the bow , but it’s not really flat and very unprotected there..

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Watching this thread as I pick up my 195s in 10 days. And I don't want to derail this thread, but what panel did you mount your amps to? You both seem to have mounted it to the same panel, I just cannot tell where it is from? Thanks.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Watching this thread as I pick up my 195s in 10 days. And I don't want to derail this thread, but what panel did you mount your amps to? You both seem to have mounted it to the same panel, I just cannot tell where it is from? Thanks.
I believe you need to look in the port side seat at the back - it's the panel between the transom access area and the storage area under the seat.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The port aft storage compartment- behind the batteries. 4 screws to remove but you do have to get in the compartment to unscrew them.

Benefits - shorter power, speaker and head unit runs. More storage space preserved, dry area.
Lots of space to hide wires as well (you will see when you climb in there)

Down side- you have to get into the compartment to remove and replace the board.

Caudio18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Looks like I just needed som patience - you were right. So summary - when i turn on battery everything starts to boot. When I turn off it takes a little while but it “boots down” or powers down. Now key off electronics off! Yay!!! Got worried I had messed something up.
So amps are loaded with capacitors, they do take some time to discharge so the LED light may stay on for just a bit. Its not gonna be an instant off, its more of a shut down cycle when the remote wire is turned off.

TXtraumaRN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I believe you need to look in the port side seat at the back - it's the panel between the transom access area and the storage area under the seat.
@212s is correct. Port aft well under the passenger seat. There is a removable wall separating the transom access and storage that faces forward, BUT you have to crawl into the storage area to remove it.
This was my initial idea for mounting, but I think I want something more sturdy and accessible so I will be building an Amp mount that will lay (elevated) in the aft portion of the storage, next to the batteries. I don't imagine I'll be using the storage that far back under the seat for anything purposeful so it'll just be wasted space anyway.