• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 sr230 Fuel in oil, been reading, have yds but gives error.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I've been reading for hours and thanks to all who have contributed. I have a 2004 sr230, less than 170hrs on each engine, original engines. Port has fuel in oil. Been reading, seem it's the injector or the ecu, or the ecu BECAUSE of a bad injector. I ran YDS. All good on starboard side, it ran the injector test just fine. BUT on the port engine, I get the following error:

Engine is running or the throttle is too open.Test again after turning engine off or closing valve.

BUT, the engine IS off. I don't know what valve they mean but all throttle body valves are closed. I tried and tried moving the throttle and the valves but nothing helped. So because if this I can't test the injectors with YDS.

I am assuming this means a bad ECU, which means, according to what I've read, i need to send it off to Chico , CA.

I still need to pull the ECU and check it out for water etc., and I will pull the fuel rail and test the injectors, maybe this weekend. But I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this error in YDS.

Thanks everyone.
Roy

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not try to test injectors with the YDS. I wasn’t sure if it will tell you if the injector is hanging open or not so the best thing is to swap out the ECU & see if the issue follows it or stays with the engine. If it follows, it’s the ECU. If it stays with the engine, it’s more than likely the injector.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you, that is my next move. It's a bummer if it is the ECU, I really hate the idea of having fuel in the oil of both engines.

Seems like I have to test the injectors even if it proves to be the ECU because I've read here that a bad injector can damage an ECU.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wondering if it could be a bad throttle position sensor? And this is why the YDS saw the valves as open. Anyone experience this?

Looking to locate the TPS but cant find it in the manual. Maybe I could swap TPS sensors?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a TPS go bad years ago. The screws to remove it are difficult to access without removing the fuel rail and other things. But if you are willing to drill 2 holes thru the air filter housing you can get it out easily. I just put a dab of silicone to seal the holes.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pulled fuel rail, tested OHMS on injectors.

bow to stern, 16.6 ohms, 16.6 ohms, 16.8 ohms, 16.8ohms @ 72.5 degrees F.

Had to cover boat due to rain, couldn't pull ECU's.

Still super curious why YDS thought the engine was running or that the valves were open. I'm wondering if the TPS is stuck open, or if the ECU THINKS it's stuck open. Need a special bit to remove TPS to inspect, need to run out and buy one.

Buckbuck, I have the rail out but need the proper bit to remove sensor......what were the symptoms of your stuck sensor?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can swap ecu to run the same test and if you get the same result, for sure it's the ecu. No need to try to run on the other engine.

If you open the ecu box and find water trapped in there, I would just go with ECU problem myself and save the extra troubleshooting. It seems the first and common cause of failures is water inside the electric box housing the ecu.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's the plan Beachbummer.

Removing and checking the TPS is so easy now that I have the rail out, I'll just do it. Would be great to find it mechanically stuck open, a new TPS would be so easy and less time off the water vs. the ECU.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you, that is my next move. It's a bummer if it is the ECU, I really hate the idea of having fuel in the oil of both engines.

Seems like I have to test the injectors even if it proves to be the ECU because I've read here that a bad injector can damage an ECU.
I ran the bad ECU on the other engine for maybe 10seconds. Enough to verify that the issue followed the ECU.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would be so nice, but it doesn't explain the fuel in the oil... Taper the expectations, but I wish you the best of luck.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok guys I have some new info.

1: TPS Sensor

Pulled Port Engine (BAD) TPS sensor and tested it to see if it failed mechanically, to see if it was getting stuck open. It worked just fine, not sticky at all. Don't know how to test if it failed electronically yet, still learning/reading.

2: Pulled both fuel rails.

Port Engine (BAD):...................Injector OHMS bow to stern: 16.6 ohms, 16.6 ohms, 16.8 ohms, 16.8 ohms @ 72.5 degrees F.
Starboard Engine (GOOD): Injector OHMS bow to stern: 15.5 ohms, 15.5 ohms, 15.5 ohms, 15.5 ohms @ 73.1 degrees F.

Injector should be at 11.5 ohms to 12.5 ohms at 68 degrees F. I don't know how much the temperature effects them but apparently all of mine are bad, except the port engine runs great, purrs lie a kitten. so.....I don't know....anyone got real world injector ohm reading to share?

3: Pulled ECUs.

Installed ECU from BAD engine into GOOD engine and ran YDS. Functioned properly and performed injector test just fine. So the ECU is ok.
Installed ECU from GOOD into BAD engine and got the same error I got before swapping:

Engine is running or the throttle is too open.Test again after turning engine off or closing valve.

My conclusion is that it is NOT the ECU, they were dry as a bone, looked factory new, not one bit of moisture or evidence of water intrusion. The problem did NOT follow the ECU to the good engine.

So can you help me out

What would make YDS think the engine is running? Any theories?

What valve is it talking about? Throttle bodies?

Can a bad TPS cause fuel in oil?

How bad are the injector numbers I posted?

Any real world injector numbers out there?

Been a long day out in the rain, just to end up right where I started. Thanks for your time everyone.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a cylinder getting washed out from a stuck injector on the port engine causing the gas in oil ??? Check the spark plugs to see if one or more are wet after running it. You need to narrow down the issue with more than just the software. Did you run the port ECU on the starboard engine & check the plugs???

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Babin Farms, No i just used the software. I think I'm getting hung up on the error code from YDS, I just don't understand why it thinks the engine is running when it isn't. I was hoping to work this out without ending up with fuel in the oil of my good engine.

The weather got to me, raining. After work tomorrow I will pull the port plugs, they're brand new. Clean them, run it, and see which if any are wet.

Thanks!

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Had a few minutes, so much for Sunday dinner. Pulled spark plugs from port engine. Cleaned them up good ( they were already clean but still, made sure they were clean and dry.) re-installed plugs. Ran port engine, less than one minute. With it's own ECU. pulled plugs, they are clean and dry as a bone.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With all of the plugs being dry after a test run I’m not sure how gas would be getting in the oil. An injector had to be stuck at one point or another. At this point I would do a complete oil change on the port engine and run it keeping an eye on it to see if it makes oil. If it makes oil, pull the plugs immediately to see if any are wet & go from there.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, thanks Babin. Will do. I feel like the more I learn the less I know.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Buckbuck, I have the rail out but need the proper bit to remove sensor......what were the symptoms of your stuck sensor?
Would not idle as smooth as other and saw fuel on the water behind the boat. It ran fine above idle. I thought it was the dreaded ECU issue and went as far as buying a new one. TPS fixed the problem.

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Buckbuck. So no fuel in the oil i guess.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I imagine the TPS changes resistance with position no? Connect the leads for ohmmeter to bad and good engine tps see if the is any difference? (All electrical off as usual when measuring Ohms)