• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 Yamaha sx230 Water In oIl

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I saw someone else had a boat that started itself, I would recommend searching the threads pretty hard to find it. I really can't remember the fix, but I do clearly remember someone having the same issue.

Glad you found your water ingestion issue!!

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How badly corroded are the sealing surfaces on the exhaust? Ours were really bad and I had to replace the elbow and pipe also.
It is not to bad I am going to clean it up aswell as use a little sealant when I re install just lot of surface corrosion no deep pitting.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I saw someone else had a boat that started itself, I would recommend searching the threads pretty hard to find it. I really can't remember the fix, but I do clearly remember someone having the same issue.

Glad you found your water ingestion issue!!
I am pre sure its the ignition switch also have some other electrical issues with my tachs if I start 1 engine tac will work for like 60s then stop if I bump the key for the other engine the tac works again? whatever engine is off if I bump the key it will work again hard to explain but that's for another post/day ahah

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does this boat have water separators or fuel filters anywhere like the jet skis do? I don't see any would expect at least water separator no?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It does not appear to have an oil separator. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does this boat have water separators or fuel filters anywhere like the jet skis do? I don't see any would expect at least water separator no?
The only fuel filters that I know of are in the inlet of the fuel pumps.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It does not appear to have an oil separator. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.
was talking about Fuel/water separator not oil most boats have them Kind of surprised this doesn't wonder if its possible to add one.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
You can very easily add a fuel water sep to about any boat. Both yamaha and mercury make the kit. Just goes inline and mounts to a bulkhead

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got it all back together new seal and boot pressure tested it still leaks something is not sitting right going to tear it apart 1 more time and try to fix again before I sell the fking thing or buy a whole exhaust off someone.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your posted compression readings seemed low. Also, the time to do leakdown test is when engine is out and exhaust manifolds are removed.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your posted compression readings seemed low. Also, the time to do leakdown test is when engine is out and exhaust manifolds are removed.
I am certain at this point it is a exhaust issue from my tests I am this close to just pulling the motor again its so hard to work on it in the boat and to be fair when I did compression check the engine never really ran much with the new rings will do another one now that it has ran a bit. And it still shoots air out cylinders when I pressurize system maybe I didnt click the pipe back in all the way when I replaced the seal at least i hope its this simple.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulling motor makes exhaust work much easier. In fact it was the only way I could work on my 2007 SX 230.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep it didnt seal i made sure the big gasket sealed and with some gasket maker engines coming out to see wtf whatever it is its a HUGE leak in the exhaust somewhere has to be a hole or something or maybe wrong exhaust gasket somewhere.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am certain at this point it is a exhaust issue from my tests I am this close to just pulling the motor again its so hard to work on it in the boat and to be fair when I did compression check the engine never really ran much with the new rings will do another one now that it has ran a bit. And it still shoots air out cylinders when I pressurize system maybe I didnt click the pipe back in all the way when I replaced the seal at least i hope its this simple.
Is your water box still connected to the exhaust? If it is disconnect it at the rubber boot in the engine compartment then do the pressure test on the exhaust.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is your water box still connected to the exhaust? If it is disconnect it at the rubber boot in the engine compartment then do the pressure test on the exhaust.
It is I will try this but as it is now i pressurize the system and re connect the line to the big boot air comes out my cylinders threw the exhaust ports on whatever valve is open at the time. at what point does exhaust and water mix in the pipes?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Edit: Not at big boot but before it enters water box at #14 in diagram. Six holes in pipe flange, 3 to bolt it to exhaust and three for water passage into hot exhaust.

Attachments

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Edit: Not at big boot but before it enters water box at #14 in diagram. Six holes in pipe flange, 3 to bolt it to exhaust and three for water passage into hot exhaust.
Oh ok thanks.