• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 Yamaha sx230 Water In oIl

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got a 2004 fx 140 with a mr1 non ho engine for a ok ish price damaged hull. It was a rental 400 hours engine runs sounds good looks to be replaced at some point as its painted black Pulling that out today to check it over ect before it gets installed in the boat. I will keep the other engine and fix it one day as a spare it has to be something stupid with it but at least I can get the boat in the water. Also anyone know if the cdi box/ecu from the 140 is the same as what's on the jet boat? wondering because I know they are expensive il keep it if it is i am parting out rest of ski.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 I do not think ski ecu has No-Wake control.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 I do not think ski ecu has No-Wake control.
I don't think my boat does either unless I am missing something I watched few vids how does it work? I saw other boats have a switch for it.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 Perhaps that option was not available in 2004. Depressing the No-Wake mode switch places rpms at approximately 2200.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the best oil to use in these things? have to change oil on both engines.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a electrical issue I start 1 motor tach works for a second then stops if I bump the other key it works again for a bit whatever engine is running tach will work for a bit then I have to bump the opposite key.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you recently run YDS. You had to disconnect your dash to do that. You may have to reconnect.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you recently run YDS. You had to disconnect your dash to do that. You may have to reconnect.
I have not but its just weird it works for a bit then stops why would bumping the opposite key make it work? I will go un plug and re plug in those connectors i have also noticed someone has been under the dash before :( some wires marked/aftermarket lights rigged up that im going to remove.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not but its just weird it works for a bit then stops why would bumping the opposite key make it work? I will go un plug and re plug in those connectors i have also noticed someone has been under the dash before :( some wires marked/aftermarket lights rigged up that im going to remove.
So... I had this "issue" with my 2004 SX230. I don't know if it was from the factory or from a previous owner. I was getting electrical gremlins, like you are having. One engine starts, you go to start the other one and the other one shuts off, weird stuff like that.

Anyways... the issue was that the big heavy red "lead" from the battery to the starter was routed UNDER the protective shroud where the shaft comes out the back of the engine, rather than above it! When we finally figured it out, the cable was worn 2/3 of the way through and I can only imagine the shorts and sparks that were happening in the engine bay. After replacing the cable and properly routing it over the shroud away from the spinning shaft, no more electrical problems.

I doubt that's your problem, but you never know. It's worth a quick check.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So... I had this "issue" with my 2004 SX230. I don't know if it was from the factory or from a previous owner. I was getting electrical gremlins, like you are having. One engine starts, you go to start the other one and the other one shuts off, weird stuff like that.

Anyways... the issue was that the big heavy red "lead" from the battery to the starter was routed UNDER the protective shroud where the shaft comes out the back of the engine, rather than above it! When we finally figured it out, the cable was worn 2/3 of the way through and I can only imagine the shorts and sparks that were happening in the engine bay. After replacing the cable and properly routing it over the shroud away from the spinning shaft, no more electrical problems.

I doubt that's your problem, but you never know. It's worth a quick check.
Yea all my wires in engine bay are good I just re installed engines tied everything up neat.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I ran it today and I noticed the new/used motor I put in I could touch the exhaust the other one was way hotter. Both where pissing out the side so water was flowing what should the temps be? I will get my temp gun next time also are Tstats known to go bad on these? i might just change em for the fk of it to make sure.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 This is for 2007 SX230HO.
1624816486236.png
1624816982984.png