• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 AR230 saga continues, now I have water in the oil

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm , where did you find a used one? The last time I bought the FXHO and pulled that motor. Then I had mine rebuilt and put it back into the FXHO. I don't want to go that path again, don't need 2 jet skis and a boat. Lol.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm , where did you find a used one? The last time I bought the FXHO and pulled that motor. Then I had mine rebuilt and put it back into the FXHO. I don't want to go that path again, don't need 2 jet skis and a boat. Lol.
I found mine on eBay. It is a non ho (vx 110) equivalent. There was at least 6 guys with short blocks without the gear reduction, oil cooler and without the heads for under $1k. But they looked a bit used and abused. I did find a couple of engines that were fresh water/low hours that were more complete in the 2k range. Mine was without oil cooler, but complete from the exhaust manifold to the gear reduction. So it had never been torn into. I just had to add my oil cooler, the rest of my exhaust and intake/fuel injection and it was good to go.

But I'm not sure about FXHO engines. I was lucky to find a motor that came from a freshwater ski that had hull damage and didn't sink ;)

Good luck with your search. I too will be rebuilding my old one when I find the time.

Out of curiousity, did you ever have head work done on the affected engine? I'm wondering if the head studs are stretching and blowing out the bottom of the block when they get re-torqued. Very strange that your crack is directly below the same head stud as mine.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha, I will do a bit of searching. No, this motor has never had any issues at all. Never tore into it, but I am not the original owner.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha, I will do a bit of searching. No, this motor has never had any issues at all. Never tore into it, but I am not the original owner.
Ok, good to know. It's quite possible that mine was cracked all along and didn't get bad enough to notice until I had the stuck valve issue.

Good luck with your search. This is a good time to find a better price on things.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in a similar situation. '04 ar230 with bad compassion on 2 and 3, milkshake oil. What is the procedure to pull the engine? Can I do it alone? I have a cherry picker, but I'm not sure it goes high enough. What all did you remove before you pulled it. Mine is down to the valve cover, but I prefer working on it in my shop. I'm hoping mine is just the hg and not cracked.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in a similar situation. '04 ar230 with bad compassion on 2 and 3, milkshake oil. What is the procedure to pull the engine? Can I do it alone? I have a cherry picker, but I'm not sure it goes high enough. What all did you remove before you pulled it. Mine is down to the valve cover, but I prefer working on it in my shop. I'm hoping mine is just the hg and not cracked.
I built a gantry and used a chain hoist. I have removed and reinstalled the engine four times now and have it down to about 3 hours to remove and the same to install.

A standard engine hoist won't get it high enough. I tried :(.

Here's what I built.

Pm me @Jgorm if you want to go over how to get it done.
IMG_9039.JPG IMG_8922.JPG IMG_8921.JPG

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
3 hours?!!!
You are going to get some job offers.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can pull it in about an hour by myself. Of course I am all setup for it and its way easier in a ar230. The only thing I need help with is removing the engine cover. Here is my setup.

Attachments

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn. I was going there was an easy way I was missing. For the amount of effort buying it building a crane would take, I'm hoping to be done. What's it weigh? I wonder if I could weld an extension on my hf 2 ton picker.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn. I was going there was an easy way I was missing. For the amount of effort buying it building a crane would take, I'm hoping to be done. What's it weigh? I wonder if I could weld an extension on my hf 2 ton picker.
Only weighs a couple hundred pounds max. Looking at @cybuch pics you won't have as high of a lift. My boat requires me to lift the engine out high enough to clear the rear seats, but it looks like that seat comes out with the engine cover.

Where is your boat located @Jgorm in Colorado or San Diego?

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm I like your setup! Too bad we have to have a setup :(, and you are correct. The rear seats come out and makes it super easy to reach everything. @Jgorm , I don't think the picker will get high enough even with a pole. The first time I did it, I used a come-a-long and a chain wrapped around my rafters. Then I moved the boat and lowered the engine to the ground.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can pull it in about an hour by myself. Of course I am all setup for it and its way easier in a ar230. The only thing I need help with is removing the engine cover. Here is my setup.
Off topic, but I like the mini split in your garage. I need one!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't remember exactly, but I want to say ~300. Has only been in fresh water and no chance of freezing, I keep it in the garage in AZ.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, motor is out and I think I found my problem, cracked case. Not only am I getting water in the oil, but I am also getting water coming out of the case. I guess a call to SBT for a new motor.
Wow!! Sorry to hear that.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@cybuch little off topic/unrelated, but what temps do your engines normally run at? asking bc I plan to buy the same Trail Tech sensors you installed near your thermostats. just curious as to what I should expect with mine.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
ok, great. thanks.

UPDATE : getting about 121*F on my Trail Techs at WOT runs. i seem to have resolved my internal scale issues.

Last edited:

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I pulled the trigger on the SBT motor with the 2year no fault warranty. Fingers crossed it all works out. Should be here on Monday. I will keep you guys updated once I get it in the boat and in the water for break in.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, motor is out and I think I found my problem, cracked case. Not only am I getting water in the oil, but I am also getting water coming out of the case. I guess a call to SBT for a new motor.
Can you describe where exactly this crack is, or take a picture from father back? Could I see it with the engine in the boat?