• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 AR230 saga continues, now I have water in the oil

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an update: four trips now (estimate +10 hours). Here is the repair.
IMG_2135.JPG

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is time to beat on it hard.:)

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, its been just over 3 years and the SBT motor failed. Now to figure out what is next.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is my repair three years later.
2A4EBCC8-9FBD-4F26-8DF1-23B154B4A118.jpeg
At first I thought I saw a crack on the left side (if you zoom in); but it was just the layered cure line from when I pressed wax paper in there while it was wet to form it better.
6AEB7408-134D-4700-A3DF-DDF7B68CB23A.jpeg

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
awesome!!! Glad its holding up!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Turns out I still had an oil leak and should have sent the motor back to SBT, but didn't....

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bummer! Sounds like there is a story there. Details?

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long story short.... got the SBT replacement motor (3 years ago), it spun a bearing on break in, shipped it back under warranty. Got it back to find the valve cover gasket leaking oil really bad. Call SBT, they sent me a new valve cover gasket, replaced it and I still had a slow oil leak, somewhere, was a PITA due to oil in my hull. Now the motor went low oil pressure, tells me, most likely another bearing, since I put a brand new oil pump in when I got the motor back the second time. Took it home and changed the oil, started it and it died after 2 seconds of running, and didn't die in a sputter, but more like a halt. Started it again and same thing, now it won't even turn over, its sealed. When I sent it back for the first spun bearing, I have a feeling they pulled the motor apart and change the single bad bearing and used all the same seals and bearings that were ok. Thats why I had an oil leak and now a sealed motor. I should have sent it back with the oil leak and made them fix it correctly. Lesson learned.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What a bummer. Hopefully you can get it back up and running soon. I still have a spare engine (my original one that I swapped over to a new block) just in case I have other issues. crossing my fingers that I’ll never need it.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, the seal popped out a bit at the end of the head where there is a half circle indent in the head, so it's a pretty big hole that sprays oil. Spoke with SBT, and they are sending me a new gasket. It's not gushing, more of a fine mist of oil, but it's all over the place.
What about that filter in your air box under the injectors? If that is saturated with oil, wouldn't that over pressurize your valve cover? It has to breathe.

Jason Hall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cybuch- Just had 2 SBT New Motors installed and picked up from Mechanic yesterday. Best advice on breaking in and what to look for before 2yr warranty is up

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I found my problem....the rivets in the rotor broke and took out the stator, which then clogged the old filter screen.

I have another new SBT motor. Thoughts on what would need to be done to keep this as a spare? Do I need to do a full rebuild or can I just pop off the oil pan and clean it all out?

now I need a new stator and rotor.

Attachments

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cybuch- Just had 2 SBT New Motors installed and picked up from Mechanic yesterday. Best advice on breaking in and what to look for before 2yr warranty is up
Just follow their instructions for sure! Also, keep an eye out for oil leaks.

Jason Hall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just follow their instructions for sure! Also, keep an eye out for oil leaks.
Thanks Cybuch and I sure hope YOU and I finally are back on the Water with NO ISSUES!!! Been a great boat since I purchased Brand New and now paying for allowing friends & Adult Kids/with Friends take the boat on many trips with out the one RESPONSIBLE for the boat. But a great 15yrs!!!

Attachments

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two more years have passed so I figure I will log a report on the JB Weld block repair. I think my last YDS read said I am around 385 hours and I am 5 years since the repair. First pic 2017, second pic 2020, third pic 2022. Still crossing fingers and still hunting a VX Cruiser; but that is still pointless with where COVID drove prices. Closest I got was $5800 for a clean 2009 but with a heap of a trailer that I feared would not make the tow home in the dark.
4D01D8F3-A630-45C5-B863-322822DCAF76.jpeg
0D112033-7184-4480-8FFD-021249AD2795.jpeg
F4B2B1AE-71D9-468C-9815-2D360FF83099.jpeg

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Good news and well, good news. I figured out it is water by dripping it on a hot plate. The other good news is I found the issue and @itsdgm was on to it. It was the water pipe coming up fro the valve cover. No only did the o-ring fail but the valve cover gasket did as well. The o-ring was leaking and the rubber stopper around the metal tube held the water in there until it was forced into the valve cover. I will be leaving that rubber stopper off and removing the other one as well (at least I will have a visual of water leaking from the o-ring and save me some time. I didnt need to pull the motor, but glad I did so I can get all the bad oil out of there in one shot. Here are a few pictures:
This forum proved great today! I had my tech winterizing my SR210 today and found milky oil in the port engine. Pulled the cover to the oil cooler and it was not pretty. He looked around a bit more then pulled the valve cover and found exactly what was posted above!

I had logged on here to find common reasons why this might happen, clicked the 'know issues' sticky thread, found the milky oil thread and ran through them quickly and spoke to my tech. That made diagnosing this issue pretty quick!