• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 Challenger 180 SE - BEEPING! 12V Low

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So. Last weekend was my first full weekend on the lake with my new boat. With only 49 hours on the clock, didn't expect a whole lot of trouble. And there wasn't...Saturday. Sunday, I was getting a LOUD beeeeeep, somewhat sporadically just about all day. No warning lights, nothing else funny, just the beeping. Drove me NUTS. But, I wasn't about to let that ruin my day. Had 2 others boats with us, so I knew I had a tow back if necessary.

Long story short, never needed the tow. Finally though, as I was entering the no wake zone at the end of the day, it finally flashed an error at me - 12V too low - and the battery light flickered.

Now, I've never wrenched on a boat before, but I've done cars (well, Volkswagen and Audi), my entire life. So, I have a pretty good understanding of how everything should work. With that said, I of course first asked my favorite technical support helpline (aka Google). Nothing really common on my boat. Lots of regulator problems on the older seadoos, but it was supposed to be fixed for the 4tec engines. So, I broke out the multimeter and got to testing.

Familiarized myself with everything in there first, which was already overdue. Found the rectifier/voltage regulator right on top of the airbox, real easy to get to. So, I started there. These things use a stator on the engine to provide AC voltage which is sent to the rectifier/regulator assembly (one unit), which then converts the AC to DC voltage to charge the battery and power up everything.

So, DMM in hand, I fire up the boat and check the stator. It's a 3-pin connector, and any 2 combination of pins make up one phase. So, you basically just check pins 1-2, 2-3, and 1-3. They should all be similar readings, and around 28vAC around 3000rpms. Perfect, mine checked out beautifully. So, I probe the output of the regulator - only 2 wires here, easy. 5vDC. No bueno. Easy peasy, bad regulator. Right? Wrong.

This was Wednesday night. So, Thursday I of course had the local dealer overnight me a new one to the tune of $230, I knew I just had to be back on the water this weekend. Installed last night - same results. Sunnofa.

So, at this point I figure the regulator has to see a load on the other end before it puts out the power. So, I start following the harness. Ground first, easy. Goes down, around the engine, and straight to the engine block. Another wire from there to the battery. Continuity tested all good there. Power wire ran all the way around the engine as well, but then looped back. Goes through an inline 30a fuse holder, to the starter relay, and then to the battery. Again, circuit tested good. So I thought to myself, self, you know continuity doesn't tell you anything about the load carrying capacity of your circuit. So, I did a voltage drop test.

Yes. That 30a fuse just cost me $230. That fuse that tested good with a DMM on a basic continuity test. $230. That dam fuse.

So... during my googling, I really didn't find any good information, hence my write up here. I hope it helps someone at some point! I'll probably go back and add some pics later, but it was all very simple tests that anyone could do. Now, time to hit the lake.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good tip..thanks for the contribution. I'm sure your not the first SeaDoo'r to have spent $230 on a $5 fix..

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
lol, I'm sure you got that right. On the other hand, I bet I would've spent more than that had I taken it into the dealer. Was out there all day yesterday and no more beeping though! And, that is priceless.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great find! You can always sell the part, or keep it as a spare....... It's a little known fact that components you have spares for never fail! :D

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
hah. I've got a 12x14 shed and a 10x40 trailer full of VW parts that confirm your theory.

Albysure

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have the same boat and year and the same issue....charging system checks out perfect...stator,rectifier....battery is good also...I have checked every connection...
I have replaced both fuses in the charging system and still no change....so I cut out the fuse holder and replace with new? If so which one or both, 30amp,20amp?
Thanks

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Off memory, I'd say the 30a. Looks like that's where my problem was, but I sure don't remember alot about it. I do remember a bit more now that I re-read the thread, but it's been awhile. Wish you were closer, I'd gladly lend a hand.

Albysure

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply....yes that would be awesome with some help if you were closer... I Hurd you can run a power line directly to the battery fr the 30amp fuse...but not sure on how to do this...don't want to toast my electrical system...

Thanks for the help

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got a copy of the 2007 Seadoo shop manual on my google drive if that might help?

Albysure

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks but I also have it....It's a mod you can do for a better charge....well a better connection from what I hurd and it eliminates the low vtage issue all together while still keeping your 30amp fuse for protection...

Mark_ATX

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I had the same problem on my 2007 Sea Doo 230 Wake. After 30-60 minutes of boating I'd get the dreaded alarm tone.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

I tried everything I could think of, including replacing the batteries. I spent many hours and frustrating days checking the exhaust temp, clearing the exhaust water spray jets, checking the oil, checking the electrical system. Trying all the things in the book.

Long story short, it was indeed a low voltage condition. I keep my boat on a trickle charger so I thought my batteries were good to go. but, after 30-60 minutes of boating, the voltage would drop enough to activate that horrible BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP low voltage alarm. I replaced the rectifiers for each engine (maybe $100 each) and never had the problem again.

Pro tip: to do some quick trouble shooting, unplug the electrical connection for your rectifier and give it a quick visual inspection. No tools needed, not even a screw driver. If the connection is sooty, black or charred... you know that is your problem so go ahead and order a replacement.

The starboard rectifier is a real pain to get to, I replaced the port engine rectifier in five minutes (two bolts and a plug) but I had to bring in a mechanic to get to the starboard one. I was going to have to disassemble way too much to get to it, but he was experienced enough to do it "blind" reaching his arm back in places I couldn't reach and making the part swap by feel, all while dangling/hanging out of the engine compartment, upside down and swearing like a sailor.

Difficulty of maintenance aside (some mechanics flat out refuse to work on them), Bombardier did some very clever and well thought out designs on this boat. But using the same alarm tone for EVERY condition is unforgivable.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you get the deluxe fuel gauge ? It flashes low fuel, sounds the alarm and the dash displays a little guy swimming!

Seadoo180

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So. Last weekend was my first full weekend on the lake with my new boat. With only 49 hours on the clock, didn't expect a whole lot of trouble. And there wasn't...Saturday. Sunday, I was getting a LOUD beeeeeep, somewhat sporadically just about all day. No warning lights, nothing else funny, just the beeping. Drove me NUTS. But, I wasn't about to let that ruin my day. Had 2 others boats with us, so I knew I had a tow back if necessary.

Long story short, never needed the tow. Finally though, as I was entering the no wake zone at the end of the day, it finally flashed an error at me - 12V too low - and the battery light flickered.

Now, I've never wrenched on a boat before, but I've done cars (well, Volkswagen and Audi), my entire life. So, I have a pretty good understanding of how everything should work. With that said, I of course first asked my favorite technical support helpline (aka Google). Nothing really common on my boat. Lots of regulator problems on the older seadoos, but it was supposed to be fixed for the 4tec engines. So, I broke out the multimeter and got to testing.

Familiarized myself with everything in there first, which was already overdue. Found the rectifier/voltage regulator right on top of the airbox, real easy to get to. So, I started there. These things use a stator on the engine to provide AC voltage which is sent to the rectifier/regulator assembly (one unit), which then converts the AC to DC voltage to charge the battery and power up everything.

So, DMM in hand, I fire up the boat and check the stator. It's a 3-pin connector, and any 2 combination of pins make up one phase. So, you basically just check pins 1-2, 2-3, and 1-3. They should all be similar readings, and around 28vAC around 3000rpms. Perfect, mine checked out beautifully. So, I probe the output of the regulator - only 2 wires here, easy. 5vDC. No bueno. Easy peasy, bad regulator. Right? Wrong.

This was Wednesday night. So, Thursday I of course had the local dealer overnight me a new one to the tune of $230, I knew I just had to be back on the water this weekend. Installed last night - same results. Sunnofa.

So, at this point I figure the regulator has to see a load on the other end before it puts out the power. So, I start following the harness. Ground first, easy. Goes down, around the engine, and straight to the engine block. Another wire from there to the battery. Continuity tested all good there. Power wire ran all the way around the engine as well, but then looped back. Goes through an inline 30a fuse holder, to the starter relay, and then to the battery. Again, circuit tested good. So I thought to myself, self, you know continuity doesn't tell you anything about the load carrying capacity of your circuit. So, I did a voltage drop test.

Yes. That 30a fuse just cost me $230. That fuse that tested good with a DMM on a basic continuity test. $230. That dam fuse.

So... during my googling, I really didn't find any good information, hence my write up here. I hope it helps someone at some point! I'll probably go back and add some pics later, but it was all very simple tests that anyone could do. Now, time to hit the lake.

Can you tell me where to find this 30 amp fuse ?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If memory serves correctly, it was just down from the voltage regulator. Straight down right there, 2 inline fuses in basic fuse holders. a 30 and a 5. But it's been a long time

Freddy Koegler

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
7F64A4CA-B1D2-4725-8EFF-AB8A8DF4FF34.jpeg New to the thread here...found my 30a blown and burned a little. Had the same issue as above with low voltage and beeeeep. What is the best way to replace that fuse box?