• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Limited S $2000 prep fee??

Kevin Howland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This entire exercise dealing with Yamaha dealers has been unpleasant. Dealing with what appears to be price fixing in that every dealer holds to MSRP regardless of setting on a 14+ units in inventory, the SCARAB product is looking better everyday. At least SCARAB wants to move product, has a much much more attractive color scheme available and options you can actually pick from versus having to be stuck with. I just have to get past the $500 per motor super charger rebuild at 200 hours issue. Sorry, just frustrated with Yamaha dealers.

Thats a good looking boat.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
500 Per motor at 200 hours sounds reasonable. I thought the seedoo's SCs were a lot worse.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe you get a better package at boat shows, more room to bargin, better warranty and the financing will be good. This is when all the dealers are coming out of hibernation, new models are out and they want to move boats.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I bought my 13 from Lodders, I bought it for MSRP, they "threw in" a bow and cockpit cover. I just got a price from another dealer, told them I'm buying it from who ever wants to sell it, and they had a shot at it. Once I got a price I told them I had a trade and they actually gave me good money on my trade in too.

That being said the finance manager at the time almost lost the deal for them, he tried some high pressure bullshit and I just got up to walk out before someone calmed me down. Finance guy was gone by the time I signed the paperwork the next week. He "moved on". I wasn't overly thrilled with the transaction, but I don't feel like it was highway robbery either.

I say call Stokely's or Just Add Water and tell them what their offer is and go with whoever has the better deal.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You are fortunate to have so many dealers close by. I only have one within 35 miles of my home and the next closest one is 250 miles away. That stated, my closest dealer charges what they want for the boats and maintenance. For example, they sell their boats for msrp Plus a dealer prep fee of $1,300 to $1,800 ($1,300'was the prep fee on a seadoo spark 3up with an msrp of about $6k). At the boat show the only extra on the 2015 242 ls was an extended yes warranty and starter kit (four life vests I think). They still charge close to $800 for the first 10 hour service which is little more than an oil change.

If I were at your location and in your position, I'd expect to pay msrp plus shipping for the boat and trailer only. A small prep fee may be justified as it takes time to set up a boat properly but at say $100 per hour it shouldn't take more than a few hours, maybe 3 or 4, to complete the set up, anything more and I would feel like I'm being gouged. Also, I'd focus on the boat not the extras, in my experience none of the extras are actually free. That $500 list price cover still costs the dealer a few hundred so I'd expect the dealer to recover at least his cost in the out the door price of the boat. So I'm not getting it for free just at a discount. As for the starter kit, it's composed of low end components like keyhole vests which I would not wear unless I had to and although the stock anchor may fit in the anchor locker it may not hold your boat the way you want it to. Again my focus would be on getting the boat for as little as possible not on getting discounted extras thrown in.

alicanal

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might want to bring some lube next time you go back to that dealer because of what he is doing to you.
I got my AR240 for $53,000 before taxes. That included all the prep and fees and whatever else, the only other cost was the tax. They also included the 5 year warranty, galvanized trailer, complete coast guard package(anchor, chain, rope, 3 dock lines, boat hook, flare kit, 10 life jackets,3 fenders and a fire extinguisher), deluxe premium mooring cover, exchanging the stock speakers for 4 Wet Sounds X-65i's, Drilling and installing 2 chrome rod holders in back transom, the soft sided Yamaha cooler bag and a $250 store credit towards anything else like tubes and ropes or whatever.
Hello Subysti,

I was just at the NYC boat show and after shopping a few jet boats, I'm pretty set on the AR 240. I was pretty aggressive with my #'s and add on requests with the Yamaha dealer there, but the show closed for the night before we could agree on anything. What I can say is that you seem to have gotten an excellent deal, and I could live with the same package you landed. Could you share where you got your boat from? Thanks.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello Subysti,

I was just at the NYC boat show and after shopping a few jet boats, I'm pretty set on the AR 240. I was pretty aggressive with my #'s and add on requests with the Yamaha dealer there, but the show closed for the night before we could agree on anything. What I can say is that you seem to have gotten an excellent deal, and I could live with the same package you landed. Could you share where you got your boat from? Thanks.
If you are buying a boat anywhere in the NY Region you would be wise to check out Patsy's Bay Marine. . . . . Go see Jim over there. Excellent service. I wrote a review on them when I first purchased in 2014.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/buying-experience-in-the-ny-metro-area.965/#post-12730

They have been great to work with, through a handful of warranty repairs. . . .

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought mine through G&R marine in south Windsor CT. The Hartford boat show is coming up in a couple weeks. I know G&R in one of the highest volume dealers in the northeast and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought mine through G&R marine in south Windsor CT. The Hartford boat show is coming up in a couple weeks. I know G&R in one of the highest volume dealers in the northeast and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them.
I dealt with them prior to settling on Patsy's bay. . . they were very courteous and prompt with their responses. I ultimately went with Jim because of his proximity to me in the event warranty items needed to be addressed (which they did). Jim was actually working to pull a boat from them to make the sale (and even then they were accommodating) but I ultimately decided to go with the 2014 AR240 instead of the 2013 212X that caught my eye originally.

alicanal

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are buying a boat anywhere in the NY Region you would be wise to check out Patsy's Bay Marine. . . . . Go see Jim over there. Excellent service. I wrote a review on them when I first purchased in 2014.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/buying-experience-in-the-ny-metro-area.965/#post-12730

They have been great to work with, through a handful of warranty repairs. . . .
That's awesome Devil Dog, I read through your whole post and it sounds like you had a great experience, & a great boat. I will definitely look into Patsy's in Stony Point, and the great part is that they're only 40 minutes away from me in Orange County New York. I think the guys from the boat show will call me this week but haven't heard anything since the other day since they've been tied up at the show. I'm not holding my breath, I definitely agree with many of the other owners that shopping around with far away dealers is good too. Jim sounds like the man!

alicanal

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Subysti, I didn't know about the show in Hartford, I will check it out on online. I will also look for G & R marine, sounds like you got a great deal there. Maybe they'll be flexible on the 2015' s to get rid of them.:winkingthumbsup" where do you do your boating?

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
G & R is fantastic. Got a great deal on our boat last year. They have taken great care of us since then. Talk to Bryan.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awesome Devil Dog, I read through your whole post and it sounds like you had a great experience, & a great boat. I will definitely look into Patsy's in Stony Point, and the great part is that they're only 40 minutes away from me in Orange County New York. I think the guys from the boat show will call me this week but haven't heard anything since the other day since they've been tied up at the show. I'm not holding my breath, I definitely agree with many of the other owners that shopping around with far away dealers is good too. Jim sounds like the man!
You won't be disappointed. If you are in Orange County going to Jim is a no brainer. I do all of my boating up in Sullivan county on Swinging Bridge. I'm pretty sure he has sold at least 4 or 5 of the Yamaha's out there in the last few years.

The one place I would absolutely stay away from is the Staten Island dealer. . . . . They were assholes pre-sale to me. Additionally, I've heard they turn terrible from the moment you sing on the dotted line and get locked in. Best of luck to you, and welcome aboard!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do most of my boating on the Connecticut river with a few trips in to Long Island sound to go fishing.

BAC.94

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Kevin, you might also try "Just Add Water Boats" in Indianapolis.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am talking to a couple of dealers about 100miles away to price shop a bit. Again said:
I have found that some dealers will not budge on price or fees and others will be relatively aggressive. I would expand the search to about 500 miles and I am sure your efforts will be rewarded....especially if you find a leftover. You can also have the boats shipped for $1.50-$2.00/mile.......I had mine shipped from Minnesota to New York and still came out well ahead. My local dealer is good, but they are given a limited supply from Yamaha and they know they will sell them all at MSRP + setup fee. They have no incentive to deal.

RoughRider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just bought a new 2015 at Stokley's in Nicholsville at a discounted price since they were ready to move the 2016's. The dealer closer to me didn't have anymore 15's, but the guys at Stokley were great to work with. Yahama of Louisville is a good group as well, but they also have repeatedly stuck to the list prices as they typically do sell every boat they get. Like, @SCSTWG said, Supply and Demand will drive the market, and each dealer only gets so many of each boat from the factory.

alicanal

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
G & R is fantastic. Got a great deal on our boat last year. They have taken great care of us since then. Talk to Bryan.
Thanks morgro269, I'm definitely going to reach out to them. Good to know that there are some decent dealers out there still.