• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242 lse error code 13

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Morning everyone,

current situation: error code 13 for starboard engine. Indicating pulsar signal error

port engine cranks and idles fine.

backstory:
Sucked up a rope 2 weeks ago on port side. Nbd. Pulled clean outs. Cut out rope. Good to go.

When starting back out, starboard engine sounded funny. Shut down,inspected clean outs. Nothing I could tell was wrong. Started and idled fine.
Throttle up and noise continued then sudden engine shut off starboard engine. Pulled clean outs. Couldn’t feel anything. Tried to start. Small click then nothing. Figured I fried the starter relay.

Got back to the trailer and could see something shiny wedged in the pump housing.
on to the shop, pulled everything apart and cleared the obstruction, it was actually the trim ring from the back deck cup holder. What stupid luck. Must have somehow fallen in while I was cleaning the rope out.

fast forward totoday. Replace starter relay and engine turns over But won’t start. I’ve check fuses. Turned on and off the batteries to reset the check engine codes. Keep getting the code 13.
Any ideas?

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
bumping this back up to see if anyone knows what error code 13 could mean. Incorrect Pulsar Coil Signal

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not sure but if it’s a coil you can pull one off the other engine and replace the ones on the bad engine one at a time and see if fixes the code on one of the cylinders.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might have to try and clear the code each time by shutting off the batteries.

johnso30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would check the clean out hatch switches. While working around back there, you may have loosened a wire or something.

I’ve wrestled with this same error on-and-off for almost 2 years now. The dealer replaced the stator, which includes the pickup coil, and that didn’t fix it. Fast forward to early this spring, the error popped up again and engine didn’t start. I turned the battery off and back on (to clear the error), went back and jumped up and down on the clean out hatch a couple times, then turned the key and it started right up. I unscrewed the switches, then flipped the wiring port vs starboard to see if the error would go to the other engine, but I haven’t had the error since then. Hoping it doesn’t come back!

Here’s the thread I started with my troubles in case you find the responses that I got helpful: https://jetboaters.net/threads/one-engine-not-starting.30528/post-495762

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would check the clean out hatch switches. While working around back there, you may have loosened a wire or something.

I’ve wrestled with this same error on-and-off for almost 2 years now. The dealer replaced the stator, which includes the pickup coil, and that didn’t fix it. Fast forward to early this spring, the error popped up again and engine didn’t start. I turned the battery off and back on (to clear the error), went back and jumped up and down on the clean out hatch a couple times, then turned the key and it started right up. I unscrewed the switches, then flipped the wiring port vs starboard to see if the error would go to the other engine, but I haven’t had the error since then. Hoping it doesn’t come back!

Here’s the thread I started with my troubles in case you find the responses that I got helpful: https://jetboaters.net/threads/one-engine-not-starting.30528/post-495762
thanks for the info. the engine will crank but there is no spark. I dont beleive the engine will crank at all if the clean out switch is open. my boat only has a single clean out switch since it has electronic throttles.

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Updating this thread as i just heard back from the mechanic***

Engine has to be pulled and stator assembly replaced. He is pretty sure it bent the woodruff key trying to start. this would cause the timing to be off.

seems pretty rare and a serious stroke of bad luck. hope to be back on the water in 1-2 weeks

johnso30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thanks for the info. the engine will crank but there is no spark. I dont beleive the engine will crank at all if the clean out switch is open. my boat only has a single clean out switch since it has electronic throttles.
I had the same - crank but no spark. There’s been reports here that if the switch is partially depressed it will still allow the engine to crank, but not fire. Who knows… I’m just hoping the issue doesn’t come back for me, and that the stator works for you so that you can get back out on the water!

Noah’s Arch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey, did the mechanic fix it? I’m dealing with same issues on my 2014 242ls

Updating this thread as i just heard back from the mechanic***

Engine has to be pulled and stator assembly replaced. He is pretty sure it bent the woodruff key trying to start. this would cause the timing to be off.

seems pretty rare and a serious stroke of bad luck. hope to be back on the water in 1-2 weeks

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey, did the mechanic fix it? I’m dealing with same issues on my 2014 242ls
Yeah all good. Back on the water. Had to replace stator assembly. Good as she was before.

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
**Updating this with findings**

mechanic pulled engine and replaced the stator. We’ve been on the water for a few weeks now with no issues.
This boat will actually be traded in this week. Headed to the dark side for a more wake sport specific boat. Axis a22.
If anyone is looking for a well sorted 242 with upgraded sound and low hours (155). Shoot me a pm and I can give you details.