• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR190 Intermediate shaft bearing replacement?

cc580

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK so i think i have my problem figured out on my 2016 ar190 with 250 hrs on it. there was a rattling coming from the pump area. i thought it was a rope or something sucked up in the pump. i checked the clean out and there was nothing. pulled the pump thinking it may have been a pump bearing there was no excessive movement in the pump bearing and the prop had no damage. i started the engine with the pump removed and the sound was still there. so i figured it was the intermediate shaft bearing. when i looked close i noticed some rust coming out of the seal. i didn't notice the grease fitting till i was looking for the noise and i have never greased the bearing. to be honest i winterized the boat from watching multiple you tube videos and not 1 mentioned the greasing that bearing. i guess i had it coming.

i use to race stand up jet skis and would change all the parts on them like i was changing my underwear so my question is has anyone done this job on a jet boat. i'm use to little 2 stoke engines that you could just lift out and put aside.

can the engine be slide forward to do this job? it looks like if i slide the engine to the edge of the motor mounts i might have enough room to take the bearing support off

is there some where online that i can find the service manual to get the proper length to insert the intermediate shaft into the bearing housing and the coupler alignment specs and clearance

cmz3535

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been searching the internet to find a video detailing this repair but cant find anything. If you find any detailed instructions please post. I am having second thoughts on trying to do this myself.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@cmz3535 A lot of us do the intermediate bearing housings but I doubt yours is bad, does it leak water into the boat when sitting if so then yes. if not add some gear lube to the housing and it will last a very long time just don't add grease!
Or do you just hear the pump ringing if so your pump liner is bad , and you need to replace that part . there are a lot of posts on just about everything so try looking in the search area I just did it and found 7 pages of information
changing the intermediate bearings https://jetboaters.net/search/501278/?q=changing+the+intermediate+bearings&o=relevance

cmz3535

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a rattling noise coming from that bearing. I removed the pump housing and impeller, started the engine and still have the noise. I grab the coupler shaft and it wiggles. There is grease leaking out of the bearing housing, it was like that from the prev owner. I just joined this site today and did find a thread with some pictures of the process.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok then you should be able to do it with no trouble now.

cc580

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine was absolutely my Intermediate shaft bearing. And mine was doing exactly what CMZ Is describing. Hot products Had the complete bearing housing assembly for a little over $200. The job can be done by removing the 8 motor mounts bolts that attach to the hull And sliding the engine forward And also removing the pump. It took me about 2 hours to disassemble and about 2 hours to reassemble by myself. You will have to press out your intermediate shaft and put it into the new housing. no need to remove the coupler. I found the manual online to get the specs for the height to press the shaft into the new housing.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
be careful removing the bottom motor mount bolts best to do the top ones so you don't mess up the spacing with the shims below each mount otherwise you can have some worse issues with vibrations.