• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S Speaker Upgrade

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your tower speakers are they the Rockford Fosgate M282B-WAKE M2 Wakeboard 8-Inch? I'm looking at the same ones. Let me know how they sound.
Yes they are and will let you know. I'm not sure how long it will take me to install everything. I'm a little nervous about it because it will be my first time and don't want to start tearing into the boat without being able to finish before putting it back in storage. I routered the edges of the amp board yesterday, drilled and rounded the edges for all the wiring pass throughs and mounted the amps and distribution block on the board. Don't think I'll get anything done today due to Mother's Day and will hopefully get back to it next weekend. I guess running all the new wires comes next and cutting out the sub hole and 2 new speaker holes. Here is hoping for good weather next weekend!

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last edited:

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You might be able to coat it with resin to help, but Id would say over time it would swell up and deteriorate.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm knee deep into upgrade and ran all speaker wires yesterday, except I'm about 3ft short for my last tower speaker. More speaker wire on order. Today I'm running the power cables and hopefully mounting the amp board. Two quick questions regarding the amp power run from the house battery.

1. I have 0 AWG main power cable (Knukonceptz) to run from the house battery shutoff to the Audiopipe mounted on the amp board. I have removed the disconnect block in the batter compartment to attach the power cable, but never noticed the size of the main power line supplying the disconnect from the battery. Yamaha uses much smaller cable, maybe 4 or 6 AWG power cables to the switch. Is there any issue with running 0 gauge from the switch that is being fed by much smaller wire?

2. The main fuse block, again Knukonceptz, says to mount within 14 inches of the battery. The existing small main power cable from the battery to the switch is already roughly 16 inches long. The new 0 AWG power line to the fuse block will add at least another foot to that. Any issue with that?
mainfuse .jpg battery disconnect.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking good. The factory 6awg is a very short run so it is fine but not a bad idea to upgrade it to 0 awg if you have extra while you are at it. The main purpose behind the fuse being close to the source is to protect as much if the circuit as possible. You will be just fine with what you have done.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you @Mainah. Any issue running the main power and ground back to the amps along the same bundle as the speaker wire? I saw several posts with people running them through the fuel tank compartment but it seems easier to run them through the engine compartment to the starboard rear seat and back to the helm. Will the power lines cause "noise" if run with the speaker wire?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No issue running in the engine compartment. I ram in the fuel compartment to cut down on the distance. EMI is typically caused by alternators, ac current, and devices that emit radio waves. In our boats there is not much to worry about as long as you have a strong ground direct to the battery of about the same length as the positive.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quick question: the stock head unit has RCA outs for front (L/R) and rear (L/R). I'm running to a WS420 for level control with outputs from the WS420 to my 2 amps. For the input to the WS420, does it matter if I connect to either the front or rear outs from the head unit, or do I need to combine them with a y-splitter?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Quick question: the stock head unit has RCA outs for front (L/R) and rear (L/R). I'm running to a WS420 for level control with outputs from the WS420 to my 2 amps. For the input to the WS420, does it matter if I connect to either the front or rear outs from the head unit, or do I need to combine them with a y-splitter?
No it doesn't matter. Just make sure your fader is set to the middle. The 420 is awesome huh? Took my system to a whole nother level.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No it doesn't matter. Just make sure your fader is set to the middle. The 420 is awesome huh? Took my system to a whole nother level.
Getting that, too. I was trying to hold off, but need that talk back mic, lol.
How is the tb mic working for you with those humongous Rev10s? How are the clamps?

I am looking at Icon8s vs JL 880s or 770. We are primarily surfing now...

--

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I'm in the middle ow trying to wire up the board in the mouse hole that I don't fit in! Lol
I'll let you know how they sound. Won't get to the 420 today but want to get the amps powered and label the speaker wires now that I cut off the labeled ends. That was another brilliant step.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got it wired up to the amps without the WS420 so I could test the speakers. Definitely need to tweak the amps because the tweeters, only thing connected to the head unit, are louder then the new speakers. Good news is they all work. I'm chalking that up as a win! Off to Vegas next week and will get back at it in 2 weeks.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Getting that, too. I was trying to hold off, but need that talk back mic, lol.
How is the tb mic working for you with those humongous Rev10s? How are the clamps?

I am looking at Icon8s vs JL 880s or 770. We are primarily surfing now...

--
The TB mic works great. Only used it a few times but it's cool. The clamps are great. I like the swivel feature and the quick disconnect. I wet slip my boat so don't have to worry about someone walking off with the speakers. I know most people say the rev 10's are better for long distance listening and not near field but I disagree. Some days I run the sub and the rev 10's only and it sounds awesome on the boat. The sub with the ws 420 fills the bass in nicely and the rev 10's are just freaking loud and clear.

alain Ganamet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but what is the diameter of the speaker holes ? I have a 2018 Yamaha 242 Limited S and I think they use the same size speakers as yours. Front, mid and rear speakers are the same size I believe. Lastly how much depth is available from the mounting surface of the speaker to the hull? Can I fit a speaker that is 4" deep (in front mid and rear of the boat ? Thanks in advance for the guidance if you remember any of these details :)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but what is the diameter of the speaker holes ? I have a 2018 Yamaha 242 Limited S and I think they use the same size speakers as yours. Front, mid and rear speakers are the same size I believe. Lastly how much depth is available from the mounting surface of the speaker to the hull? Can I fit a speaker that is 4" deep (in front mid and rear of the boat ? Thanks in advance for the guidance if you remember any of these details :)
I would just look up the specs of the factory speaker. Not sure if you have the WetSounds or not but these would be it: RECON 6-S | Wet Sounds High Output Component Style 6.5" Marine Coaxial Speakers

alain Ganamet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the lead. It looks like the mounting depth of those speakers is 2.6". Wondering if we have enough clearance to fit the Revo6.5" with a mounting depth of 3.3" or even better the Revo8" with a mounting depth of 4".

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the lead. It looks like the mounting depth of those speakers is 2.6". Wondering if we have enough clearance to fit the Revo6.5" with a mounting depth of 3.3" or even better the Revo8" with a mounting depth of 4".
Best option is to pull the speaker out and check, but the molded area is fairly wide and should have plenty of room. On my 21' model, there's lots of room behind in that area as the speaker surface is angled giving about 6 inches or more behind. There's nothing behind that area except the space to the outer hull.