• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha Connext <delamination>

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If it is leaking out of the plug and you have tried 3 different plugs then the issue is the machining/casting of the aluminum receiver that also holds the rudder. Might try different o rings to find one that works (not that you should have to).
Thanks for your response!! Yamaha is going to replace the Aluminum Receiver!!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be interested in what the dealer has to say about both issues. Delam on a screen intended for a marine environment in just a year is not encouraging. Neither is the number of folks popping up with plug or other leaks.

Granted you will folks join a forum because they find an issue making the number seem greater than it really is. Given the number of pre-existing members who have the same issues I think the leak issue is as wide spread as the shorelander trailer issue.

Granted nearly every product has a manufacturing defect and failure rate but it would seem that the 2015 plus Yamaha rates are climbing.
@Mainah, I think that it's the opposite. I think that there are many members who have problems who do not share the information. It could be because they're too lazy, or that they just don't want folks to know that they have problems with their boat. I think that the magnitude of the problems is greater than what it appears.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah, I think that it's the opposite. I think that there are many members who have problems who do not share the information. It could be because they're too lazy, or that they just don't want folks to know that they have problems with their boat. I think that the magnitude of the problems is greater than what it appears.
@Mainah, this side topic almost deserves its own thread. Just to follow-up on my position regarding that problems are larger than they appear on the forum, look at the bouncy shoreland'r trailer thread. I can't imagine that there isn't a 2015 or newer 24 foot owner who does not have this problem, especially since Yamaha issued a service bulletin to have Shoreland'r correct the problem with a redesign. Yet, you don't see participation in that thread by all who own a newer model 24 foot boat. With respect to that thread, the majority of folks only post something if/when they get new tires for free, but you don't hear a peep from them when they are actively working the situation.
Another example is that with great certainty, it is safe to assume that every current model hull (24 footers, 21 footers, 19 footers, FSH) that has made it to the dealership has the anchor locker drain problem, yet the number of folks posting about this is a fraction of the number of boats with the problem. As a matter of fact, one of the posts in the thread that talks about this is from a guy who basically said that he fixed that problem on his boat months ago, yet it's the first post from him about it.
It's my opinion that there are way more problems with these boats than get reported on this forum and even to Yamaha. I share all of my problems/fixes in the hope that it might help someone else out, but I really don't think that it's the norm. In addition, I think that many do not post about their problems/fixes if they feel that it's already common knowledge.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MrMoose - You have strong arguments and I am not going to disagree with you. In fact my point was that the people complaining are not just the ones that join forums because they have a problem but rather long standing members that got new boats which is very telling and more to your point. Sure there will be some that don't post anything but the ones that do are already core members and IMO that says a lot. The Shorelandr trailer problem is a great example. With those it is not if it will happen but rather when. There are those of us who will report their problems honestly in the hope of helping other with the solution or in looking for a solution. You nailed it on the head in that not everyone is going to do this. In fact there is a core group which like in any group are the most active. That said how do you get everyone to post about their problems and track it?

I did get new fenders and tires for my trailer. I did have a leaky drain plug that was fixed with a new plug, me smoothing out some burrs, and vaseline (I think poorly made rudder/plug receivers could be one of those more frequent issues that is not being documented on here, I did not even mention it until recently). I would hope the Connext screen delam issue is rare but I guess time will tell. I would bet that the transom remote issue will grow over time. The e/x series speed and ballast issues are rather disheartening. I am sure there are some issues that I am missing. I think the dealers are in the best spot to notice issues and report them but my guess is that they don't have the time or energy to chase down the maker of one of their product lines. Instead they seek to fix it and move on to the next unit in line.

There are certainly some things that drew me to Yamaha over other brands of jet boats. One of which was their reputation in the jet boat market vs. seadoo. Yamaha sure is making quite the profit churning out these lightweight hulls and 1.8l engines in volume. Their quality control, overall quality, and reputation is suffering though and I wish I knew a year ago what I know now. No boat should leak and it is starting to sound like they all do (now I see why dealers say that .. it could be sad but true). In the end it may take time but the issues will come out. Suffice it to say that for me this will me my first and last brand new Yammie unless they make major changes in their quality control at the product development AND production phases. If they get a reputation for boats that leak and electronics that fail causing weeks in the shop every year eventually sales will drop off.

The best we can do is support each other with how to fix or get the issues fixed so heres hoping that more people will post up their problems and solutions so that we can all learn.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah, I think the fact that Yamaha knew about the, albeit non-critical, problem with the Connext battery voltage reading in 2015, and have yet to fix it on the 2017 models speaks volumes about their commitment to quality. It's not just at the design end (connext/anchor locker leaks), but also at the assembly end (silicone leaks, cracked gelcoat, loose/missing screws, messed-up cup holder drains...). I also think that there are a bunch of members who wish that all of these problems would be hushed because at some point, it will affect resale values. But wait, on second thought, maybe it will increase resale values because maybe someone would rather buy a boat that doesn't leak, has had all of the little problems fixed, and is ready to be used as opposed to sit at the dealership for months getting warranty items tended to while they make payments to Yamaha, insurance, storage. Hmmm, maybe I'm on to something.:winkingthumbsup"

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Mainah
Another example is that with great certainty, it is safe to assume that every current model hull (24 footers, 21 footers, 19 footers, FSH) that has made it to the dealership has the anchor locker drain problem, yet the number of folks posting about this is a fraction of the number of boats with the problem. .
I just want to clarify on this a little. The SX & AR 19' boats don't have drains that go through the hull like the rest of the boats do, so we don't have the gap leak issue. My boat stays pretty dry and hardly any water ever come out of the drain plugs.

I elaborate a little further on how 19' boats are (except FSH models) in the 240 leaking thread New ar210 leaking!

Last edited:

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I my self is very disappointed with the lack of quality control from Yamaha and their dealers.. and I am one the really regret buying a Jetboat.

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I am having the same issue with the connext screen. Not really sure how it started but I know it looked normal before I put it away for the winter. I stored the boat inside with the cover on all winter. When I pulled it out of storage yesterday, I noticed in the middle of the screen it started to delaminate. It almost looks like when you get sun burnt and your skin peels off. There is a circle about the size of a quarter that no longer is there. Has anyone had any luck with the dealer replacing the screen

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I have a 2016 AR240 and have also noticed a few other things before I put it away for the winter that I will be asking the dealer to fix.

I had the same problem as some others on the port side of the hull with spider cracking due to the bulkhead in the port storage being mounted too close. Unfortunately I found the crack after I found the post on here.

I also found cracking in the gel coat on the port side in the bow between the seat and the hole for the storage.

I'll take pictures of all this later but I'm really hoping the dealer will take care of this. It sounds like it's unlikely tho.

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
And as far as the boat leaking, every time I've taken the boat out of the water I have had water come out of the drain plug for roughly 20-30 seconds. I kinda thought this was normal but from reading on here it seems like a lot of people have this problem.

Side note, I've never acatully seen my bilge pump pump out any water so I was worried it didn't work. So I put the plug in with the boat in the driveway and put the water hose on down by the pump until it started putting water out. I was surprised to find out how much water can be in the bilge before the pump actually starts pumping water.

What is a normal amount of water that will come out of the drain plug after being out all day?

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
One year later and my connext screen delamination issues are even worse. Has anyone had this same issue and were able to get Yamaha to warranty the screen?

Attachments

Mjones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One year later and my connext screen delamination issues are even worse. Has anyone had this same issue and were able to get Yamaha to warranty the screen?
This is exactly what happened to mine. Yamaha replaced it with no issues.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@MrMoose - You have strong arguments and I am not going to disagree with you. In fact my point was that the people complaining are not just the ones that join forums because they have a problem but rather long standing members that got new boats which is very telling and more to your point. Sure there will be some that don't post anything but the ones that do are already core members and IMO that says a lot. The Shorelandr trailer problem is a great example. With those it is not if it will happen but rather when. There are those of us who will report their problems honestly in the hope of helping other with the solution or in looking for a solution. You nailed it on the head in that not everyone is going to do this. In fact there is a core group which like in any group are the most active. That said how do you get everyone to post about their problems and track it?

I did get new fenders and tires for my trailer. I did have a leaky drain plug that was fixed with a new plug, me smoothing out some burrs, and vaseline (I think poorly made rudder/plug receivers could be one of those more frequent issues that is not being documented on here, I did not even mention it until recently). I would hope the Connext screen delam issue is rare but I guess time will tell. I would bet that the transom remote issue will grow over time. The e/x series speed and ballast issues are rather disheartening. I am sure there are some issues that I am missing. I think the dealers are in the best spot to notice issues and report them but my guess is that they don't have the time or energy to chase down the maker of one of their product lines. Instead they seek to fix it and move on to the next unit in line.

There are certainly some things that drew me to Yamaha over other brands of jet boats. One of which was their reputation in the jet boat market vs. seadoo. Yamaha sure is making quite the profit churning out these lightweight hulls and 1.8l engines in volume. Their quality control, overall quality, and reputation is suffering though and I wish I knew a year ago what I know now. No boat should leak and it is starting to sound like they all do (now I see why dealers say that .. it could be sad but true). In the end it may take time but the issues will come out. Suffice it to say that for me this will me my first and last brand new Yammie unless they make major changes in their quality control at the product development AND production phases. If they get a reputation for boats that leak and electronics that fail causing weeks in the shop every year eventually sales will drop off.

The best we can do is support each other with how to fix or get the issues fixed so heres hoping that more people will post up their problems and solutions so that we can all learn.
I knew nothing about the fender issues until I happened to stumble on the thread buried deep in the 2016 242 forum. I went and checked and sure enough, bracket completely broken on one side and the crack in the 90 degree bend in the other.

Thanks guys for the info