• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR210 "marine sound" rant.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just felt like ranting about how horrible the stock sound system is in my new AR210.

The 4 speakers are basically useless once the boat is moving.

The lack of a volume knob on the HU is also becoming a nuisance. I never realized how nice it is to have a knob until I didn't have one.

I'm on a positive note… I guess I won't feel that bad when I have to replace everything. (Until I have to pay for it!!) lol

I've been searching here getting some ideas. I def need to add at least 2 more speakers in the driver's area, an amp and then a new head unit down the line.

In regards to a head unit, my stock unit (Infiniti PRV340) its smaller than a normal HU. And the space it's in doesn't allow for a larger HU.

You can see it in the picture below.
IMG_2408.JPG

I'm open for suggestions/input/fellow ranters

I think that's all.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following this as I completely agree with how horrible the sound system is. I just thought the one on my 190 was bad... I am actually fine with the head unit, it just needs more power. I plan to upgrade speakers and amp soon.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following this as I completely agree with how horrible the sound system is. I just thought the one on my 190 was bad... I am actually fine with the head unit, it just needs more power. I plan to upgrade speakers and amp soon.
Do you have the same head unit?

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, exact same setup. It's a little cumbersome but I can live with it.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I'm going to bite the Bullet soon and buy 4 -DB651's

Just so we can hear something while underway.

I agree the HU is Combersome though.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Sensitivity and output are relatively the same with different speakers of the same size. Upgrade speakers will make a large difference in sound quality but alone will not resolve the audibility issues at speed. First, this is an issue of limited HU power, not just this HU, but all HUs. HU power ratings are pure fantasy so there is no point to comparing HU power ratings to those of high quality external amplifiers. Second, you are correct in that more speakers within the primary cockpit listening area, as in more speaker surface area, will greatly impact the ability to compete with speed and the associated competing noise levels. By no means is this a challenge limited to Yamahas.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been all over Crutchfield, i haven't seen any HU's that will fit my current opening size (5-1/2"W x 3-1/2"). I guess I would be ok with my stock HU (after amplification) if it had a volume knob. Trying to turn it up or down while cruising/taking waves sucks with individual volume buttons.

I want to start compiling a list of items for a stereo upgrade. This way I do it right the 1st time.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i'm sure stock AR(any foot) is same as shitty SX so toss those. but adding a small 4 channel amp really made the speakers come to life. I have infinity 612M.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Four Polk DB651s (direct replacement) and one Clarion xc1410 amp to power those. Done.
It will cost you a small fortune: $200 grand total. :D

--

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Four Polk DB651s (direct replacement) and one Clarion xc1410 amp to power those. Done.
It will cost you a small fortune: $200 grand total. :D

--
I see the DB651's on Amazon for $62/pair. If I fit in 2 more in the cockpit area, I guess the amp you suggested wouldn't power all 6 (but its a good start? But your speaking my language! Im not looking to be the loudest,just want to hear some tunes while cruising.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see the DB651's on Amazon for $62/pair. If I fit in 2 more in the cockpit area, I guess the amp you suggested wouldn't power all 6 (but its a good start? But your speaking my language! Im not looking to be the loudest,just want to hear some tunes while cruising.
Yes it will, actually. You can run one pair off of 2 channels (at 4 ohms) - say front going into the bow, and the other two pairs (of speakers) off of the other 2 channels (at 2 ohms) - say rear - going mid ship (will need new 5" holes and new wiring) and rear cockpit (factory drop-in replacement).

Works really well. I can not imagine a better system for the money. The amp running a 4/2 ohm loads for long periods of time at 50%+ volumes seems to be doing great, it is a little brute that Clarion, it does not heat up excessively or anything. I have used three of those by now and never had any problems. Also check our Kenwood amp @kthrash and @Bruce and others posted about recently.

I have had the DB651s (2 pairs) powered by (one) xc1410 in my 190 - absolutely fantastic sound for that boat. In my 240 - that same combination was okay but felt very under-powered. So I added 3 more pairs of DBs (two mid cabin and one swim) with another xc1410 - and that did the trick. I would think you would be okay with 1 pair mid (so 3 pairs total - bow, mid, rear). Swim platform - that would be another pair. This system is not a competition stereo setup but adequate for normal use. Nice, pleasant sound, about as loud as you would possibly want for an in-boat system w/no clipping etc.
I added a powered BassLink sub, for full disclosure, which helps. But that is another $200-300 plus more install and wiring. The DBs are drop-in replacement.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And just for full disclosure - the only thing I want to change for my sound system is adding tower/surf type speakers - which is a current project. At this point I will also need to have a way to control volumes independently (cockpit/tower/sub) - but again, that is different - just for water sports.

I hate going through Connext screens to get to the volume control.

@rsg1963 added a nice set of volume/sub controls in the dash. I think @octavio3311 has had somethign like that as well in his 212.

I NEED to have knobs that I can reach at any time to control volume. My HU is actually in the swim platform, but I think you are in good shape with your HU.

--

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski
Both of your above posts are very informative and put me at ease knowing I can get some decent tunes in my ride without killing my pockets.

Thanks for taking to the time to post on my thread.

I'm going to pull the trigger on 2 pairs of Db651's tonight. And for the price, the xc1410 will be in the cart too!

In the very near future will be a 3rd pair for the mid area.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski
Both of your above posts are very informative and put me at ease knowing I can get some decent tunes in my ride without killing my pockets.

Thanks for taking to the time to post on my thread.

I'm going to pull the trigger on 2 pairs of Db651's tonight. And for the price, the xc1410 will be in the cart too!

In the very near future will be a 3rd pair for the mid area.
DOn't know what the speaker wiring connectors are in your boat but @Majorsmackdown had a nice way of conencting - https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-budget-stereo-upgrade.7719/
I just solder amp speaker level outputs to the factory speaker harness wires.

--

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up ordering 2 pairs of JL MX650's instead of the DB651's.

In the near future I'll buy another pair and cut them in the cockpit area.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only think I don't know is why do you guys buy MX650 and not the M-series. I understand that there is a profound difference.

@jeff_s so now you would look at a different amp, too, albeit I'm not sure MXs need anything special.
I would personally consider the JX 400/4, as long as you are not in salt. Killer price for a pretty cool class D amp, albeit not marine rated (the xc1410 is). Again, not sure the MXs need that, but if you go M- than you'll need some serious power!

--

radge2001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will be happy with the MX650's. I just did the same thing (I have the same boat as you) and there is a night and day difference. A bit of bass and you can actually hear it at speed!

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will be happy with the MX650's. I just did the same thing (I have the same boat as you) and there is a night and day difference. A bit of bass and you can actually hear it at speed!
Good to know for sure! I can't wait to ditch these stock speakers. We went out last night and I didnt even turn the radio on...

The only think I don't know is why do you guys buy MX650 and not the M-series. I understand that there is a profound difference.

@jeff_s so now you would look at a different amp, too, albeit I'm not sure MXs need anything special.
I would personally consider the JX 400/4, as long as you are not in salt. Killer price for a pretty cool class D amp, albeit not marine rated (the xc1410 is). Again, not sure the MXs need that, but if you go M- than you'll need some serious power!

--
I'm 90% salt water. So i will def. look out for a marine rated amp.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
A good decision Jeff.
While the db651 is 'marine rated' by Polk Audio, they are not built to a marine standard by any stretch, and would be problematic in salt water.
There really isn't enough difference to justify the JL Audio M650 over the MX650. In a 6.5" coaxial speaker, the MX650 is perfectly balanced. Now in a larger 770 speaker, there is a profound difference between a M and MX series.
If the usage is in salt water, you would definitely want a sealed amplifier chassis with a gasketed cover over sealed controls. The JL Audio M400/4 would be my first choice.

Papa Erp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jeff_s have you noticed that, with the stock head unit, the radio (fm) is way louder than when using the aux-in. It's like half the volume. Anyone know why? Is it a setting I'm missing?