• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR240 full JL Audio upgrade (phase 2)

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been chompin at the bit to get around to installing my new equipment on my AR adding from my original system upgrade last year.

Last year I got a lot of direction and insight from member on here and coming out of a 2011 242 LS with a full system needed to fig out a way to increase my overall sound.

I then opted to run all JL as it met all my criteria, and started with six MX650s off a m800/8, two 12w3s in a sealed box off a m1000/1. I actually got 8 of the mx650s but couldn't the 2 on the transom installed last season.

Phase two included some 880 towers and a fine tuning. I'm still a week or two out but this weekend I picked it up from the shop in Lake Havasu, AZ doing the work...a place called Car Toyz and they installed my M800 tower speakers with swivel mounts, running off a m600/6, and the control knobs for tower and subs, along with some LEDs in the tower, and I'm pending a few other small items, including splitting my subs into new ported enclosures under each bench seat with vents.

The installer was top notch and cleaned up all of the hurry work from the original install and tuned it nicely.

More pics to follow...I'll be adding some rgb leds, reinstall rear cushions, and my high pressure shower tank and hose.

The control knobs might be my favorite part...so nice to have independent control.

System is loud and clean just as I hoped. The only remaining mod besides the push button stsrt is how to allocate my last two open channels, since I opted for the 6 channel for pending future expansion.

Final specs eight MX650s off a M800/8, a pair of M880 towers off a M600/6, and two 12w3s off a M1000/120180323_192751.jpg 20180325_111613.jpg 34139.jpeg 34140.jpeg 34112.jpeg 34002.jpeg 34003.jpeg 34021.jpeg 34029.jpeg 20180127_153113.jpg 34189.jpeg

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is going to sound good!!!

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @jcyamaharider it sound really good...I didn't push it past 75% volume but even at that level it was crystal clear and sounded amazing sans the rattling from the subs, but that should be mostly solved once I split the subs into ported boxes and vent the bench seats for them to breathe.

Should have more pics from the shop towards the ends of the week.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing your install pictures! Im looking forward to seeing the finished results regarding the swim deck speaker install. I have an AR210 and i want to install speakers in my swim deck in the same place you did. Like you, I dont have speakers there currently. Do you need to alter your side cushions at all?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jeff_s I think you would be pleased adding those, and yes I am having to alter my side cushion to accommodate the speaker, prob 200-250 once hes done. With my tower speakers now I don't hear the transom speakers as well, but when I turn the towers off they are perfect for the rear.

Once u take off that side cushion you can measure and have an upholstery shop modify it for u.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jeff_s I think you would be pleased adding those, and yes I am having to alter my side cushion to accommodate the speaker, prob 200-250 once hes done. With my tower speakers now I don't hear the transom speakers as well, but when I turn the towers off they are perfect for the rear.

Once u take off that side cushion you can measure and have an upholstery shop modify it for u.
Do you have a before picture of your swim deck? ( I guess I could google it for a 17’ AR24o. )

My swim deck back rear cushions are two peice. I’m wondering if I could just remove my side cushions where the speaker will be installed?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Been chompin at the bit to get around to installing my new equipment on my AR adding from my original system upgrade last year.

Last year I got a lot of direction and insight from member on here and coming out of a 2011 242 LS with a full system needed to fig out a way to increase my overall sound.

I then opted to run all JL as it met all my criteria, and started with six MX650s off a m800/8, two 12w3s in a sealed box off a m1000/1. I actually got 8 of the mx650s but couldn't the 2 on the transom installed last season.

Phase two included some 880 towers and a fine tuning. I'm still a week or two out but this weekend I picked it up from the shop in Lake Havasu, AZ doing the work...a place called Car Toyz and they installed my M800 tower speakers with swivel mounts, running off a m600/6, and the control knobs for tower and subs, along with some LEDs in the tower, and I'm pending a few other small items, including splitting my subs into new ported enclosures under each bench seat with vents.

The installer was top notch and cleaned up all of the hurry work from the original install and tuned it nicely.

More pics to follow...I'll be adding some rgb leds, reinstall rear cushions, and my high pressure shower tank and hose.

The control knobs might be my favorite part...so nice to have independent control.

System is loud and clean just as I hoped. The only remaining mod besides the push button stsrt is how to allocate my last two open channels, since I opted for the 6 channel for pending future expansion.

Final specs eight MX650s off a M800/8, a pair of M880 towers off a M600/6, and two 12w3s off a M1000/1View attachment 70662 View attachment 70663 View attachment 70664 View attachment 70665 View attachment 70666 View attachment 70667 View attachment 70668 View attachment 70669 View attachment 70670 View attachment 70671 View attachment 70672
Sounds like a monster that will run with the big boys on here who also spend to much on audio

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is one...mine are two pieces as well, they come off with two screws at the bottom.

F8FA41FC-53BF-4E80-B0B6-EE07DDD70100.jpg

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

here is my stock setup. If i chose to alter those side cushions, that might not be much cushion left after the speaker is there. I cant wait to get my boat out of storage so i can start fiddling with it...lol

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I plan on putting mine by the warning stickers so I don't have to cut the cushion.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I plan on putting mine by the warning stickers so I don't have to cut the cushion.
Up top above the rear cushion?
Or on the lower swim deck?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Lower, on each side of the handle.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lower, on each side of the handle.
Gotta watch water coming up on that when you come off plane. If you have someone who can cut them id say cut the seats. Even the high end stuff like JL or wet sounds will be junk by the end of the year imo.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait, you mean your going to cut the warning stickers instead of the cushions? That's sound dangerous. ...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I plan on making covers for them out of PVC and attach via neodymium magnets.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Drift Away watching you and Rob go at it with upgrades helped inspire my cash to jump out of my wallet...thanks, lol

Shop just sent me a short video of the 3 LEDs I had installed in the tower, he was tripping out on how everything dims off the head-unit, looks real slick, but not sure how to load videos.

Next up is the RGBs, my custom shower, and relocating the subs.

I then need to figure out how to use the last two open channels on my 600/6....I'm thinking of opting for some MX770s, and putting those in the bow.

I now see I didnt take enough pics this weekend, was to busy testing and getting used to the new system, next time when I go out I will take a full length video and have some better pics of the whole system...including a sound clip.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I plan on making covers for them out of PVC and attach via neodymium magnets.
Of course now I looked the cushions and they are only $113 for each side. Colors look different on the higher end models though

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Drift Away watching you and Rob go at it with upgrades helped inspire my cash to jump out of my wallet...thanks, lol

Shop just sent me a short video of the 3 LEDs I had installed in the tower, he was tripping out on how everything dims off the head-unit, looks real slick, but not sure how to load videos.

Next up is the RGBs, my custom shower, and relocating the subs.

I then need to figure out how to use the last two open channels on my 600/6....I'm thinking of opting for some MX770s, and putting those in the bow.

I now see I didnt take enough pics this weekend, was to busy testing and getting used to the new system, next time when I go out I will take a full length video and have some better pics of the whole system...including a sound clip.
With all these people stepping up their stero game i might have to get Really creative to keep up not having a wake tower.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing your install pictures! Im looking forward to seeing the finished results regarding the swim deck speaker install. I have an AR210 and i want to install speakers in my swim deck in the same place you did. Like you, I dont have speakers there currently. Do you need to alter your side cushions at all?
I just did this with my 240 a couple weeks ago. It took the upholstery shop about an hour to cut them and re-stitch them. $100IMG_0463.JPG

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ThatJeepGuy Man, only $100....thats a real win....

Im getting beat up, but its a one time costs for a long term benefit is the only way I can look at it.

I actually used your pic as a reference to show my upholster. When you open that cushion up it has a partial backing and none at the top end for him to re-attach the fabric too.

Anyways Im pleased so far, will see how it turns out when its all finished.