• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR240 full JL Audio upgrade (phase 2)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I guess that would work then....maybe I assumed the loss in sound being more of an issue than what your ears will really hear, but if the output is there then you should be good...

Where would you mount the box? and if needed how would you vent?
Well I suppose wherever you can find room. I have mine in my starboard bench seats with 3 vent holes. It's all about where you want it and if there is enough room for it. One of my friends uses the porta potty room for his subs. Not ideal IMO but it works I suppose. The down fall of Yammies vs wakeboard or other boats, is usually subs can be left out in the open in the cabin under the helm or elsewhere on those boats. We don't have that luxury in these boats so sub placement can be little tricky. And it's all about what kind of bass you are looking for. Some like the near field bass and some want projection. There are many ways to setup it up depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Attachments

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet what size are those speaker vents you have?

How much does your starboard side rattle/shake with those monsters under the seat?

My 2 12s were a massage when the seat was closed and produced some unwanted noise and rattling. Im trying to get as much vent space as I can so max sound can escape. I went with some Roswell vents that seemed to be my best option based on my eye and design.

Hoping to get back to the boat in 2 weeks to get the final sound, I even convinced the installer to come out wit us one day, figure he can also help me tune it on the water exactly to my preferences and do it over a beer.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet what size are those speaker vents you have?

How much does your starboard side rattle/shake with those monsters under the seat?

My 2 12s were a massage when the seat was closed and produced some unwanted noise and rattling. Im trying to get as much vent space as I can so max sound can escape. I went with some Roswell vents that seemed to be my best option based on my eye and design.

Hoping to get back to the boat in 2 weeks to get the final sound, I even convinced the installer to come out wit us one day, figure he can also help me tune it on the water exactly to my preferences and do it over a beer.
Those are 6" cut outs with 8" speaker grille. These are very cheap grilles. I think I paid like $10-15 a pair. The reason I went with this style is I want as much open air space as possible. I believe most of the vents have too much slots in them, which in terms are still restricting the air flow. These are just big holes and you can only tell by really staring at them. But when I lift the bench cushion up now, there is only very slight difference in sound output with it closed. I think if I did 4 of these holes, it would be pretty close to the cushion being up. Maybe even hit harder in there.
Oh with any bass you will get slight rattling. At least I always hear it lol. But most of it is from the accessories and all on the tower. Ex. Bimini posts and locks. With as crazy loud as my towers can get, it's nothing to be of concern. I got more rattling when the subs faced the gunwale but now I have it facing the cabin to help with that.
I had 2 (12)s before my 15s so I def understand you. My 12s really hit hard and I didn't really want to upgrade. It just out here my subs were getting drowned out by other stud systems when we all linked up. There are not many who can touch my highs output as it's ear bleeding, but I was lacking in the bass department. I still have not pushed my subs all the way yet as I'm still in that so call "breaking in" period and don't want to over do them yet. Once I turn them up full blast, I'm sure there will be plenty of rattling. At this time, the most I've turned my subs up to is half way so I might need to make more adjustments once I hear it up all the way.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info , I've been going back and forth on how to vent these subs...I'm ultimately gonna split them up facing one out to the cabin on the starboard side and point the other sub facing the passenger char and vent behind the seat. I had him clean up my batteries and move them back so there's enough room for the box.

Found a vent that works, except for being black so I'm prob gonna have him paint them white to match better.

Once these are ported and properly vented I expect them to sound great.

Screenshot_20180329-202251.jpg Screenshot_20180326-154919.jpg 34399.jpeg 34712.jpeg

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info , I've been going back and forth on how to vent these subs...I'm ultimately gonna split them up facing one out to the cabin on the starboard side and point the other sub facing the passenger char and vent behind the seat. I had him clean up my batteries and move them back so there's enough room for the box.

Found a vent that works, except for being black so I'm prob gonna have him paint them white to match better.

Once these are ported and properly vented I expect them to sound great.

View attachment 70937 View attachment 70938 View attachment 70939 View attachment 70940
That's cool and I think you will be happy in the end going with a box. The vent looks nice and should work nicely too. The ported box will give you that extra output too. Make sure you leave enough room for another vent just in case you find out you need more vent holes. You should be good with this one tho it looks like. I wish I had added a 3rd vent in the front but I didn't leave any room for it. Your box will be hidden nicely and on low hertz people will not be able to tell where the bass is coming from.

One thing I really like about these AR240 is that they have all the room in the world around the boat. Shoot I even thought about putting subs in the bow area even tho its not efficient to. Not many boats I can think of have such spacious storage areas that is not a cuddy cab boat.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
100% agree with the extra output from the ported boxes....Ive been going back and froth on sealed vs ported but for what I listen to I think it will give me what Im looking for. My 15 in the last boat was ported and it pounded.

Im expecting to put in some smaller round vents in inconspicuous places to help the sound escape, depending on how it comes out. My installer said the vents were very nice and solid, just need to get him to paint them white.

My other idea was to install a few rubber feet on the bottom of each bench seat, so they sit up off the lip of the bench, then I can have probably a gap of 1/2 inch all the way around which should make a difference along with the vents.

Im SUPER interested in adding a sub up front, I was thinking maybe a 10, but I think I'll hold off until I get my 2nd set of speakers in the bow somewhere like how @CraigAR just did.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was on the water this weekend....lovely 91 degrees in Lake Havasu, AZ. Couple pics...system is still a work in process but i like how it sounds and the other upgrades.

Shower is in and by far my favorite item...used it to mist people down who didn't want to get in the water, and also to wash off the grill and to hose the boat down when I came off the water before wiping it down.

Port bench next to batteries wasn't large enough opening to fit the 2md ported box so I put it back in the port storage for now until I explore options, although it fits very well and gives me more bass up front which is what I want.

Tower lights worked perfectly and are tied to the courtesy lights and dim nicely.

20180406_200059.jpg 20180407_143128.jpg 20180407_143150.jpg 20180407_183743.jpg 20180406_182804.jpg

Last edited:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was on the water this weekend....lovely 91 degrees in Lake Havasu, AZ. Couple pics...system is still a work in process but i like how it sounds and the other upgrades.

Shower is in and by far my favorite item...used it to mist people down who didn't want to get in the water, and also to wash off the grill and to hose the boat down when I came off the water before wiping it down.

Port bench next to batteries wasn't large enough opening to fit the 2md ported box so I put it back in the port storage for now until I explore options, although it fits very well and gives me more bass up front which is what I want.

Tower lights worked perfectly and are tied to the courtesy lights and dim nicely.

View attachment 71645 View attachment 71647 View attachment 71648 View attachment 71650 View attachment 71652
Looks great

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jaylex do you get a lot of vibration from that sub in the storage compartment?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great
Thanks...its a process, but its definitely coming together.

@Jaylex do you get a lot of vibration from that sub in the storage compartment?
I do get some vibration when the door is closed, so I plan on venting it in 2 diff places to compensate. I want some bass towards the middle of the boat. When I had both 12s under the Starboard bench the bass up front was lacking, so keeping it in that port storage compartment vented will probably be my final choice, kinda tight to get it over on the helm compartment. When the door is open a few inches there is little vibration.

When I vented the sub under the starboard bench, I cant tell any diff when I lift the seat so those Roswell vents did the trick and look pretty nice.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks...its a process, but its definitely coming together.

I do get some vibration when the door is closed, so I plan on venting it in 2 diff places to compensate. I want some bass towards the middle of the boat. When I had both 12s under the Starboard bench the bass up front was lacking, so keeping it in that port storage compartment vented will probably be my final choice, kinda tight to get it over on the helm compartment. When the door is open a few inches there is little vibration.

When I vented the sub under the starboard bench, I cant tell any diff when I lift the seat so those Roswell vents did the trick and look pretty nice.
Do you mind if I ask where your sub amp crossover is? If it's over 90 then the bass is directional and you can tell where it's coming from. But any thing under that the human ears cannot pin point where the bass is coming from. Sure the compartment and surrounding area will have more chest thump but if the crossovers are set correctly, you can put the subs anywhere and no one should be able to tell where the bass is coming from. You would think it's the speakers throwing out the bass if the subs are hidden.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that supposed to be the case, but I feel like my ears can sense a diff, I don't know what the amps are set to...I need to take a pic and use that for reference to see if any tweaks are in order.

Seems difficult to get some good sound ( bass and mids) towards the bow

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that supposed to be the case, but I feel like my ears can sense a diff, I don't know what the amps are set to...I need to take a pic and use that for reference to see if any tweaks are in order.

Seems difficult to get some good sound ( bass and mids) towards the bow
Ok gotcha. Ya try to keep me posted on what the sub crossover is set at. If you can pin point the subs, they might be set too high. But I hear you on getting sound to the bow. Now days I use that area as my get away when I don't want screaming speakers on me all the time. lol

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll check on the settings on all 3 amps when I go back again in a few weeks. Probably snap a pic of them all so I can get some feedback and make sure their set optimally.

Gonna look into some 7.7s since I got 2 free channels on the 600/6.

Here's a last couple pics of the towers, and the sub vent I used, let's all the sound out...

First pic was another lake I hit the same weekend that's not to far from havasu...kinda empty for such a nice day.

35473.jpeg 35471.jpeg 20180406_191330.jpg

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll check on the settings on all 3 amps when I go back again in a few weeks. Probably snap a pic of them all so I can get some feedback and make sure their set optimally.

Gonna look into some 7.7s since I got 2 free channels on the 600/6.

Here's a last couple pics of the towers, and the sub vent I used, let's all the sound out...

First pic was another lake I hit the same weekend that's not to far from havasu...kinda empty for such a nice day.

View attachment 71717 View attachment 71718 View attachment 71719
Ok cool. Very nice shot. I'm jealous. I was supposed to go to Lake Havasu for Spring break but we ended up canceling. Hopefully soon. Some of my boating crew are going to Lake Powell for Memorial day but unfortunately I will not be attending with them.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These desert lakes are beautiful, lake Powell is nice I hear...lots of house boats. Never made it out there myself, def want too!

Will post those amp settings in a few weeks

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These desert lakes are beautiful, lake Powell is nice I hear...lots of house boats. Never made it out there myself, def want too!

Will post those amp settings in a few weeks
Ok good deal. I will def make it to AZ lakes sometime in the near future.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I'll def look into that. I've been wanting a fresh water tank. I'm also trying to build a misting system for my tower lol, so I might be able to use this tank too.
DAMNIT!!! Thanks for adding something else to my list... this sounds like an awesome idea!

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually used it for misting my Fiance when we were out 2 weeks ago...water is still chilly where we are but it was 91 and she was hot...enter the shower with mist setting and it worked perfectly....great coverage and easy access.

Still my favorite mod since it gives you fresh water anywhere with high pressure...until I get the push button start!

Actually not to costly when you look at alternatives.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I actually used it for misting my Fiance when we were out 2 weeks ago...water is still chilly where we are but it was 91 and she was hot...enter the shower with mist setting and it worked perfectly....great coverage and easy access.

Still my favorite mod since it gives you fresh water anywhere with high pressure...until I get the push button start!

Actually not to costly when you look at alternatives.
I have the fresh water wash down that came factory which works ok, I'm going to explore this whole tower misting thing though, sounds like it could be really cool..... pun intended.