• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR240 full JL Audio upgrade (phase 2)

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my high pressure shower installed....since my 242LS had a shower and I actually used it but the spray was weak so I searched and found the perfect solution...I paired a 6 gallon tank with the high pressure pump and 30 ft hose from spraybox and my guy installed in on the starboard rear transom compartment on it's own switch so anytime I need to wash off feet, utensils, or the boat itself I can do it anytime.

I also had him hard wire my batter charger and add a port in the rear transom compartment for easy charging so I don't need to get inside the boat, just pop the hatch, open the port and pill out the cord to charge.

20170625_183039.jpg 34505.jpeg 34530.jpeg 34536.jpeg 34391.jpeg 34538.jpeg

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting approach....I've heard another member mention the same thing about putting the IB subs in a tiny enclosure and getting solid sound out of them.

I knew I wanted 12s after having a ported 15 on the last boat.
Could have been me, I've looked into this quite a bit. For me that would definitely be the way to go - with a boat IB sub - to get the most juice out of it, in the open environment.

--

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Got my high pressure shower installed....since my 242LS had a shower and I actually used it but the spray was weak so I searched and found the perfect solution...I paired a 6 gallon tank with the high pressure pump and 30 ft hose from spraybox and my guy installed in on the starboard rear transom compartment on it's own switch so anytime I need to wash off feet, utensils, or the boat itself I can do it anytime.

I also had him hard wire my batter charger and add a port in the rear transom compartment for easy charging so I don't need to get inside the boat, just pop the hatch, open the port and pill out the cord to charge.

View attachment 70805 View attachment 70806 View attachment 70807 View attachment 70808 View attachment 70809 View attachment 70810
Where did you order the tank from? Looks like the perfect size.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Elio195HOI I did some research and found a company call spraybox that has been building these for the back of pickup trucks, ATVs, etc....

They have a few diff ones, but I was trying to actually put it in the stock location like in the 242 Limited and my installer then suggested the current location which helps with storage inside the boat and also.

I found this tank and they adapted their setup to this tank and it works lovely.

Depending on the spray you use, ie jet, mist, flat, it will give you 7-10 min of use. I think 6 gallons will be fine for weekend trips and filling it up shouldnt be as hard with it on the back of the boat now.

Might be my 2nd fav mod so far, I have sand, mud being tracked into the boat, and also will allow me to do a quick wash/wipe down of the boat once Im off the water

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could have been me, I've looked into this quite a bit. For me that would definitely be the way to go - with a boat IB sub - to get the most juice out of it, in the open environment.

--

I think it was you @swatski who was thinking about using a box on a IB sub....remind me again why you prefer this route vs just installing it as IB, I think you mentioned it would narrow the range of the sub or something?

Do you have a sub now?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 70805 View attachment 70806 View attachment 70807 View attachment 70808 View attachment 70809 View attachment 70810
Now this is something I think I need to do. What kind of pump did you use for this?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now this is something I think I need to do. What kind of pump did you use for this?

Honestly its probably the best mod for the money since it gives you fresh water and high pressure with a 30 ft hose....in my 2011 242LS I sold the shower was nice, but spray was weak so I knew I wanted to still have a shower and this was what I found....you can find a custom tank if you need.

Here is a video

google spraybox and email them if you want info...the owner was great and allowed me to pick a tank that fits my needs.

Cant wait to use it when people with sandy feet try to hop on!

I think its a 100 psi pump, when I tested it the spray was very robust, so much so that I prob could do a quick wash of the boat right after, which for you guys who boat in the salt water, should help you rinse down immediately, no waiting.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly its probably the best mod for the money since it gives you fresh water and high pressure with a 30 ft hose....in my 2011 242LS I sold the shower was nice, but spray was weak so I knew I wanted to still have a shower and this was what I found....you can find a custom tank if you need.

Here is a video

google spraybox and email them if you want info...the owner was great and allowed me to pick a tank that fits my needs.

Cant wait to use it when people with sandy feet try to hop on!

I think its a 100 psi pump, when I tested it the spray was very robust, so much so that I prob could do a quick wash of the boat right after, which for you guys who boat in the salt water, should help you rinse down immediately, no waiting.
Thanks for the info. I'll def look into that. I've been wanting a fresh water tank. I'm also trying to build a misting system for my tower lol, so I might be able to use this tank too.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely....I think this is a must have for almost anyone with a boat, and the cost wasn't nearly as much considering the stock shower on the 242s are 1k for the parts and the spray is weak.

The other thing is you can connect more than one tank so u can get a much water as you can creatively store.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely....I think this is a must have for almost anyone with a boat, and the cost wasn't nearly as much considering the stock shower on the 242s are 1k for the parts and the spray is weak.

The other thing is you can connect more than one tank so u can get a much water as you can creatively store.
I agree. As many folks I have going in and out of the boat on the weekends, I def need to install this. I just have to be creative in the tank placement as room is hard to come by now days. lol

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet what do you store in the rear transom compartments, its a perfect fit in there and prob sees the most traffic in/out. I keep two large buoys back there so now have to move them to the other side but they fit and can still throw at least 2-3 life jackets in there which is fine for me.

If you need a bunch of water then two tanks might make the most sense for costs and location.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it was you @swatski who was thinking about using a box on a IB sub....remind me again why you prefer this route vs just installing it as IB, I think you mentioned it would narrow the range of the sub or something?

Do you have a sub now?
Yes Sir, we are talking about an IB sub inside a small enclosure!
Yes - an IB sub will sound louder, and can be perceived as stronger - when mounted inside a sealed enclosure.

Here are some supporting statements (albeit somewhat out of context):

David Analog said:
"This is fact. When you place a true high 'Q' infinite baffle subwoofer driver in a box that is small enough that it serves to raise the 'Qtc' (system 'Q'), you lose deep bass and you add a midbass hump...in other words, you get more of a domed response curve. The smaller the box the more profound the change. So it is definitely adding a midbass peak, but not at the deeper registers. If you want to go acoustic suspension, which does have some advantages, simply select the right subwoofer driver for the right application. JL Audio makes such a driver, the M10W5."

And here is an interesting read and another David quote from a different forum:

"Sure, an IB sub in a small enclosure can give you a pronounced peak in the upper bass and sound very 'live' at the cost of no low bass. Technically that IS more output even though it's over a narrower bandwidth. But it sounds terribly unnatural to me. And because you have narrowed the sub's bandwidth considerably, to compensate many would be tempted to push the sub harder with more low frequency equalization, thus blow the woofer."

In my boat - I currently use BassLInk by Infinity, a powered sub. I have had it for a while now with zero issues. Survived the Bimini trip, too. There are some of those that suddenly stop working (something goes toast on the inside but can be replaced for like $5 if you know what you are doing). I figured I can take the risk for the price of admission.

For the price, it is amazing. It does seem to "wake up" at higher volumes and will shake the helm (where I have it mounted).
I posted pictures somewhere else, mine is installed inside the helm compartment.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet what do you store in the rear transom compartments, its a perfect fit in there and prob sees the most traffic in/out. I keep two large buoys back there so now have to move them to the other side but they fit and can still throw at least 2-3 life jackets in there which is fine for me.

If you need a bunch of water then two tanks might make the most sense for costs and location.
Pretty much all of my junk I don't want to keep in the cabin area. Life jackets, ropes, floating anchor, shoes, slippers, you name it lol. Since it's where everyone boards on, it's easy for every to put things in those compartments back there. But Ill make room for the tank on one side hopefully.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Ok so I follow the logic, but I'm reading where you sacrifice sound for output...or am I off?

I guess as that point it depends on the kind of music you play, if it falls within the range of the sub you got a solid plan...and can use it both ways...would you try IB first?

@Drift Away can you comment on the diff if any you could hear from running these IB subs in a small box...do you recall the volume on your boxes?

If they made the benches 2 inches taller I could run 12s directly exposed without all the venting I have to do.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski Ok so I follow the logic, but I'm reading where you sacrifice sound for output...or am I off?

I guess as that point it depends on the kind of music you play, if it falls within the range of the sub you got a solid plan...and can use it both ways...would you try IB first?

@Drift Away can you comment on the diff if any you could hear from running these IB subs in a small box...do you recall the volume on your boxes?

If they made the benches 2 inches taller I could run 12s directly exposed without all the venting I have to do.
Not 100% sure what makes it sound better but you can feel the bass throughout the boat more. The box is like .67 cubic ft i belive. After watching this video, we all might need to step it up.
Screenshot_20180329-055427_Chrome.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

would you try IB first?
Honestly, I would not. My reading on this is - a small sealed enclosure is the way to go for an IB sub - in a boat.

From everything I have read - the increase in "horse power" in an IB sub, when enclosed, does more that off-set loss of fidelity in the lowest registers.

All that assuming - we are not talking about reproducing the best organ pieces in existence but pop/rock/hip-hop - it may be different and not work very well when one listens to Johann Sebastian Bach's "Air on G String".
But most people I know don't do that - while hanging out at a sand bar.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wait until you get on my boat @swatski . You may go deaf but it will be worth it. LOL

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The deal is any sub will sound better in a box than in free air. Free air is there to help with people that can't use a box. But for sound and output a box is always better. Ported is the best for output. So yes IB does the job but will never sound as good as any sub in a box regardless if it's IB or not. So even in free air, it's pulling and using the space behind it to help generate sound.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not 100% sure what makes it sound better but you can feel the bass throughout the boat more. The box is like .67 cubic ft i belive. After watching this video, we all might need to step it up.
View attachment 70881
I like these boxes a lot. I had a ported one for a my JL 10's and they hit hard. Well constructed.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I guess that would work then....maybe I assumed the loss in sound being more of an issue than what your ears will really hear, but if the output is there then you should be good...

Where would you mount the box? and if needed how would you vent?