• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 clean out plugs

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took the clean out plugs out of my ‘17 AR240 today to put some lube on them. I could not for the life of me get the starboard plug to lock again.
I was on the water while doing this and the boat stays in the water during the summer.
While searching the forum for tips it appears the tips/suggestions are for the ‘16 and older plugs.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The plugs can get turned while you have them out. Make sure the key on the rim of the plug is lined up to the notch in the plug tube and the handles are turned all the way counter clockwise before you insert the plugs into the tubes

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The rubber must be swollen. Get a repair kit. If what @Sbrown stated has been done correctly.
it happened to me from leaving the plugs in. Now I’m on a lift and pull them every time and haven’t had an issue.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I pull mine after every use Because They always have a few inches of water sitting on top of them.
then I usually spray WD40 or the xps before going back in.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The plugs can get turned while you have them out. Make sure the key on the rim of the plug is lined up to the notch in the plug tube and the handles are turned all the way counter clockwise before you insert the plugs into the tubes
It was set up right. The “set” notch was in the correct slot and lined up appropriately.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The rubber must be swollen. Get a repair kit. If what @Sbrown stated has been done correctly.
it happened to me from leaving the plugs in. Now I’m on a lift and pull them every time and haven’t had an issue.
This sounds like it could be the culprit. It seemed like it needed to sink about another 1/8”.
Where did you get a repair kit for the ‘17 and newer plugs?
I looked and only see the previous generation plug rebuild kits

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I pull mine after every use Because They always have a few inches of water sitting on top of them.
then I usually spray WD40 or the xps before going back in.
I think I will be doing this once this thorn is out of my side.

BRenouf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi all,
My 2010 242 Limited has the same problems as I hear on the form from many boater. A lot of info to take in for sure. I see from the Yamaha web site for boat parts that the repair kit is shown on the breakdown of the Jet Unit 4. It is not shown on earlier makes.
My question is: Does anyone know if it is a problem to take the clean out apart and fit the repair kit? As my 2010 was not listed in the Fitment models on Partzilla's web site, I asked them and they said I would have to buy the complete unit??
Perhaps I should just order it from another supplier and not worry. Any comments from those who have changed it out on older than 2012?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2017 had them updated they twist in older models have a handle that pushes down. I'm not sure about the repair kits but annually on both types I have used red scotch brite to scrub off oxidation and build up in the tunnel aluminum to allow the clean out plugs to go in easier.