• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha AR 195 won’t get over 35 to 40 ish.

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Greetings,

i have a 2017 AR 195, it was running great, but I took it out yesterday and the speedometer showed it only going between 35 and 40 wide open vs the 50 it normally hits. It accelerates fine, just doesn’t seem to be hitting its top end. Tachometer was a little over 7000. There were some heavy rains the week before and we had to run the bilge for a while and bail out the center compartment before opening it up. its approaching around 100 hours, oil changed at 80 Ish. Maybe an air filter, are they really $150???

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I doubt the air filter needs to be changed at under 100hrs. Did you check it, maybe blow it out with an air compressor? There are some threads discussing the sound dampening insulation coming off the inside of the motor cover and blocking the intake. Try checking that, right around where the air gets pulled into the air box there is a small patch of the sound dampening material.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you're low on revs. Should be higher than that I think. 7,500-7,700 is closer to WOT. Do you remember what revs you were at least year when you put it away?

I would check/replace spark plugs (it's easy and takes little money/time). Make sure the filter is clean and not blocked. Then make sure the bucket is fully up and out of the flow of water out of the nozzle.

If you can, get it on the trailer, open all the drains, and get the tongue up high in the air. Make sure you're not carrying a spare 500lbs of water around with you.

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Sounds like you're low on revs. Should be higher than that I think. 7,500-7,700 is closer to WOT. Do you remember what revs you were at least year when you put it away?

I would check/replace spark plugs (it's easy and takes little money/time). Make sure the filter is clean and not blocked. Then make sure the bucket is fully up and out of the flow of water out of the nozzle.

If you can, get it on the trailer, open all the drains, and get the tongue up high in the air. Make sure you're not carrying a spare 500lbs of water around with you.
I’m in florida so I never put it away, not sure on the revs before. It did this once before, but the issue resolved on its own. its time to pull from water for sure. Thanks.

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I doubt the air filter needs to be changed at under 100hrs. Did you check it, maybe blow it out with an air compressor? There are some threads discussing the sound dampening insulation coming off the inside of the motor cover and blocking the intake. Try checking that, right around where the air gets pulled into the air box there is a small patch of the sound dampening material.
Thanks, ill check that out. I’m hoping it’s something simple like that. It’s odd.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in florida so I never put it away, not sure on the revs before. It did this once before, but the issue resolved on its own. its time to pull from water for sure. Thanks.
Does it sit in the water full time? Maybe some spring time growth on the hull?

Move any gear/persons to the bow? This hull is fairly sensitive to weight in the bow. I can run 42 with 4 adults in the cockpit and a giant Yeti on the swim platform in my 190. Move the two ladies to the bow and it drops to ~38mph. Same two dudes, and undrained giant Yeti on the platform. 4mph difference based on just the location of where ~275lbs of persons are sitting.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I see that a lot with stale fuel and with the pump wear ring expanding and dragging on the impeller after it has been sitting a while. Also may need new plugs.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I second the oil comment. There has been some reports of excess oil affecting rpm, make sure the oil level is no more than mid point on the stick when the engine is level.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Air filter should be fine.... If it isn't, you have a big issue somewhere but check it anyways. Mine looked brand new @ 100 and 200 hours.

I changed plugs at 100 hours. Didn't help me but I wasn't down on performance. Doubt it's the plugs though unless they burned up somehow.

Usually if its weight associated, you will still have your max RPM.

Could be the oil overfilled so definitely check that.

Maybe the throttle cable needs to be adjusted? Not opening all the way?

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Did it get too much oil put into engine the last oil change? Too much oil can cause the engine to run slower correct?
No the oil was good and is time to change it, I just checked hours, she is at 107.

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I see that a lot with stale fuel and with the pump wear ring expanding and dragging on the impeller after it has been sitting a while. Also may need new plugs.
We use it a lot, so file doesn’t sit long. I’m going to change the plugs and oil. I just hit 107 hours. I’ve been trying to find a video online on changing the fuel filter as well.

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Does it sit in the water full time? Maybe some spring time growth on the hull?

Move any gear/persons to the bow? This hull is fairly sensitive to weight in the bow. I can run 42 with 4 adults in the cockpit and a giant Yeti on the swim platform in my 190. Move the two ladies to the bow and it drops to ~38mph. Same two dudes, and undrained giant Yeti on the platform. 4mph difference based on just the location of where ~275lbs of persons are sitting.
It’s probably time to pull it put and give it a good cleaning any way i Just noticed some slime at the water line.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Quick test you can do with the air filter is remove it. I had the same with my AR192. I'm 99% sure the previous owner that it had top speed problems because he put a new impeller, didn't fix it, and then sold the boat. I found that the oil filter was saturated with either fogging oil or engine oil. It's all good now and have been running without an air filter for 2 seasons now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick test you can do with the air filter is remove it. I had the same with my AR192. I'm 99% sure the previous owner that it had top speed problems because he put a new impeller, didn't fix it, and then sold the boat. I found that the oil filter was saturated with either fogging oil or engine oil. It's all good now and have been running without an air filter for 2 seasons now.
That feels a LOT like an overfilled engine crankcase and PCV system issue.

Wonder if a catch can would help you out there?

Any issues with oil pooling/puddling in the intake hoses?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That feels a LOT like an overfilled engine crankcase and PCV system issue.

Wonder if a catch can would help you out there?

Any issues with oil pooling/puddling in the intake hoses?
Everything is fine now. I have a feeling the previous owner tried to save money and do winterization himself - shooting fogging oil down the intake and on to the air filter. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Last edited:

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a 2018 SX195 that won’t rev above 5200 rpms and 25mph. Fresh oil. Fresh plugs. Runs smooth. Starts right up. Air filter looked clean, but I can run w/o to check. Any other thoughts? I filled up last at the Marina. Could be stale gas or fuel filter?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2018 SX195 that won’t rev above 5200 rpms and 25mph. Fresh oil. Fresh plugs. Runs smooth. Starts right up. Air filter looked clean, but I can run w/o to check. Any other thoughts? I filled up last at the Marina. Could be stale gas or fuel filter?
What elevation?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Supercharger clutch may be the culprit