• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha AR 195 won’t get over 35 to 40 ish.

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Supercharger clutch may be the culprit
I also checked the blow out port. Impeller looked ok, but the lake had patches of wood debris so can’t rule it out.

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Not yet. Dealer is just getting to it. Said it was ‘nothing obvious’ whatever that means.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ahhh, if you would let me know, it’s killing me. I checked all the obvious stuff from every thread. It runs and sounds nice, but it’s almost like I am governed at 6000rpm

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone mentioned that it could possibly be something blocking or restricting the air intake perhaps foam?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Change the spark plugs lately? When was the oil changed? Was the oil overfilled? Have you tried running without an air filter? Have you pulled the pump to verify that there is nothing in it? These are all things that I would do or check if I suddenly couldn't get the RPM's to max.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Change the spark plugs lately? When was the oil changed? Was the oil overfilled? Have you tried running without an air filter? Have you pulled the pump to verify that there is nothing in it? These are all things that I would do or check if I suddenly couldn't get the RPM's to max.
I did not pull the pump but had it out of water and checked extremely thoroughly. But I will now pull the pump. Checked the air filter, looked clean, checked the supercharger clutch. Nice and tight and spins in just one direction. Plugs and oil level looked good. I did not see any foam near airbox

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Plugs are new. Oil is fresh and proper levels. Letting the dealer pull the pump and check the super charger.

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
New spark plugs. Recent oil change- levels ok. Air filter looked ok- no oil. Have not pulled the impeller- took it to the dealer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Really, you see that much decrease in speed? I noticed some speed drop off but I haven't washed and cleaned the hull yet this year.

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My hydro-hoist did fail and the boat sat in the water a few days. Surely that wouldn't explain 5,200 rpms and 26 mph?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My hydro-hoist did fail and the boat sat in the water a few days. Surely that wouldn't explain 5,200 rpms and 26 mph?
Shouldn't change engine revs.

I'm betting on a supercharger clutch failure. This has the feeling of an overpropped boat (too aggressive pitch on the screw for the amount of power being produced).

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Really, you see that much decrease in speed? I noticed some speed drop off but I haven't washed and cleaned the hull yet this year.
I agree and have seen a decrease in speed after wetslipping for entire season. Lime scale and algae build up suck speed.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been to busy screwing with and testing mods. Noticed some decrease in speed this Sunday, perhaps its time I give her a nice clean and shine.

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Shouldn't change engine revs.

I'm betting on a supercharger clutch failure. This has the feeling of an overpropped boat (too aggressive pitch on the screw for the amount of power being produced).
You mean a design flaw? It has OEM components.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You mean a design flaw? It has OEM components.
No, not a design flaw at all.

If the supercharger isn't working properly (clutch has failed) and not creating boost then the total power output will be down significantly. If the impeller and pump selection was setup for say 250hp, and you're only making 190hp, then you can't push the prop any faster. Underpowered boats (by design or by malfunction) exhibit the symptoms of being unable to reach full revs, and being unable to attain decent speed. When compared to a similar boat that is running properly.

The symptoms point to a significant loss of power since we know that engine/prop/pump combination works well together in other similar hulls......Also, the power loss is more than just dirty plugs or clogged air filter. Would have to be something major, and these engines are known for failed compressor clutches. So, that's my guess.

:)

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
No, not a design flaw at all.

If the supercharger isn't working properly (clutch has failed) and not creating boost then the total power output will be down significantly. If the impeller and pump selection was setup for say 250hp, and you're only making 190hp, then you can't push the prop any faster. Underpowered boats (by design or by malfunction) exhibit the symptoms of being unable to reach full revs, and being unable to attain decent speed. When compared to a similar boat that is running properly.

The symptoms point to a significant loss of power since we know that engine/prop/pump combination works well together in other similar hulls......Also, the power loss is more than just dirty plugs or clogged air filter. Would have to be something major, and these engines are known for failed compressor clutches. So, that's my guess.

:)
Well, it took the dealer nearly two weeks, but they came up with the supercharger clutch. I hope I get it back by the 4th... ;(

SteveSX195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
ahhh, if you would let me know, it’s killing me. I checked all the obvious stuff from every thread. It runs and sounds nice, but it’s almost like I am governed at 6000rpm
It was the supercharger clutch.