• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 SX190 new boat owner need help with upgrades!

tweeter1148

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just put the deposit down on a new SX 190. I was wondering if people could help me with some links to buy the following items or just some recommendations...thanks in advanced.
- New Bow roller
- I would like to do some sort of depth finder/fish finder
- what boat buckles work for our boats and trailer?
- Should I get the cobra steering setup?
- Any suggestion for anchors...my boat will mainly be used in lakes.
- Anything else anyone could suggest?

I live in Fort Worth TX if anyone wants to get together and go boating with the families!

Thanks,
Brandon

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a Garmin 74 dv/sv... Its large enough to see it while sitting or standing... Bit its not the cheapest one out there..

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I bought and installed a Garmin EchoMap 44cv its large and bright enough to see while underway, great display with the proper maps installed for your area. Install was relatively (easy about 1.5 hrs), I installed the transducer on the skid plate and get no cavitation or very little signal loss running in Tampa Bay and outside along the shoreline. Some folks have epoxied the transducers on the inside rear compartment. You can pick them up for about $275.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm getting a humming bird helix 5. Dealer where I'm getting the boat from had great things to say. I had a lowrance on my previous bow rider and it did good. I like the new down imaging features on the newer units.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a Lowrance Mark 4 Chirp in my 192. I bought it primarily because it was on sale (in my budget) and included a card for all NA inland lakes. That was important for me because I primarily use it for navigating on unfamiliar lakes and for accurate speed and depth. I'm not much of a freshwater fishing fan so I don't really use if for a fishfinder. It does seem to do a decent job of showing underwater obstacles.

As for the install, I aped this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/installing-a-lowarence-elite-5-on-a-fsh.7785/ since the hulls are the same agross all of the 19' boats.

My mounting location and method is shown in this thread, but since you have an FSH I probably won't be particularly helpful https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-29#post-155258

You are probably going to want to invest in one of the two steering enhancement designs. I have Thrustvector XVs. I'm sure the Cobra designs are great too.

I bought an off-brand boat buckle-style retractable strap system, but I don't recall the name. I think any of them will work if you buy one for 3500 lbs or greater. You might couldget by with something lighter, but I'm a conservative kind of guy.

Lot's of people are going to suggest you get a box anchor and they do work great. However, they are very expensive and you are going to eventually lose it unless your lakes have very clean bottoms. For that reason, I just use a cheapo slip-ring anchor and chain. I'm on my third one, I think. I rarely have problems setting them, although you probaly have to pay more attention than you do with a box. The ones I buy at Academy are a little too wide to fit in the 19' anchor locker, so I narrow them up with a cut-off tool and re-galvanize each tip.

As for other things you will need, unless you are a stereo kind of guy, keep your head unit, replace your speakers if they aren't the Polks and add a small amp. You'll get a lot of bang for your buck and will be able to hear your music over the engine.

Put in some led's if you ever plan to be out after dark. They really help with moving around the boat when you are anchored and they just look super cool. $50's of awesome. Mine an other's installs in this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/post-your-yamaha-190-192-lighting-upgrade-pics.9642/#post-165016

Get some Seadeck as soon as you can. It's great.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Install a Dragonfly 7 to my 2017 SX 190 with transducer in pic.... works great..... just not above 25 mph ....

Attachments

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Install a Dragonfly 7 to my 2017 SX 190 with transducer in pic.... works great..... just not above 25 mph ....
My Garmin that I just had out on Monday was perfect, light chop, 40 MPH and no loss of bottom for about an hour of run across Tampa Bay, out to Anna Maria, and anchored at Passage (Sausage) key and perfect...I don't remember where I read about placing the transducer on the starboard side vs. the port side...but "maybe that's the difference...but I can say that for about 2 months I was losing the bottom while on plane and getting inconsistent returns, I lowered the transducer about 1/4 of an inch and voila no more loss of the bottom, the nice thing that isn't mentioned much about having the transducer out in the water is that I get water temp....

Last edited:

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No i purchased the Magnums..... Yes I def drove the boat b4 I installed them and like 99.9% of the members on here... we all say the fins make an incredible diff handling ESPECIALLY at slow speeds....
I cant agree more...

And the Cobra EZ lock is a MUST as well....

Last edited:

tweeter1148

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just picked up the boat. I ordered a stoltz bow roller but it looks like it already came with one?! Has anyone seen this? I bought it from Phil Dill in Texas and I have to say the treated me well. They were up front and no games which is about all I can ask for.

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Frisco and we will be going tot he lake a couple of weeks. Will be more than happy to show you what I have on my bow, so you see before you order stuff. I will also be glad to let you borrow my bow anchor and see if that is something that works for you