• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 LSE BCU Error

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For my ‘18 242 LSE it was a faulty screen. It was replaced under warranty. No amount of ‘resetting’ the battery was going to fix it. It is a hardware problem.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It looks like the BCU error is only on the 18-19 model years

For those that are having problems with the ballast bags filling and emptying don't let it wreck your day I made a jumper cable to manually fill and empty the bags.

great for winterizing as well, as this great summer season is winding down o_O

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Let's see what the dealer says today when I call them to check status on BCU error. (4th time at dealer for same prob).

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I picked up my 2019 242 Limited S e series last Friday (4th time in shop since I purchased late Feb 2019). Each trip to shop was about BCU warning/limp mode. I was told that the SCU was replaced and that it water tested fine. This past Sunday I took it out in the IWC (from Lake Worth to Peanut Island) and it initially ran well. We stopped for a moment at the sand bar at Peanut Island. When we left the Starboard engine would not turn on (of course I double checked everything) and the Portside engine turned on to limp mode. Since we were now in the middle of the busy IWC and Peanut Island traffic I thought the most safe thing was to limp out of traffic for a few miles until I reached a safe spot. Once safe I disconnected the batteries (the only action that previously reset the BCU warning / limp mode) and both engines operated fine. It seems that the problem persists and the only thing that the shop fixed this final time as disconnecting or otherwise disengaging the BCU warning. I think that I have been more than patient considering that I have taken to shop 4 times (and now need to return for 5th) and count on 1 finger the times that we have taken it out without BCU warning/engines going into limp mode.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I picked up my 2019 242 Limited S e series last Friday (4th time in shop since I purchased late Feb 2019). Each trip to shop was about BCU warning/limp mode. I was told that the SCU was replaced and that it water tested fine. This past Sunday I took it out in the IWC (from Lake Worth to Peanut Island) and it initially ran well. We stopped for a moment at the sand bar at Peanut Island. When we left the Starboard engine would not turn on (of course I double checked everything) and the Portside engine turned on to limp mode. Since we were now in the middle of the busy IWC and Peanut Island traffic I thought the most safe thing was to limp out of traffic for a few miles until I reached a safe spot. Once safe I disconnected the batteries (the only action that previously reset the BCU warning / limp mode) and both engines operated fine. It seems that the problem persists and the only thing that the shop fixed this final time as disconnecting or otherwise disengaging the BCU warning. I think that I have been more than patient considering that I have taken to shop 4 times (and now need to return for 5th) and count on 1 finger the times that we have taken it out without BCU warning/engines going into limp mode.
What did they say that they did to the boat this last time to the dealer? It was unclear from your post.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
What did they say that they did to the boat this last time to the dealer? It was unclear from your post.
Let me find the invoice and I'll upload.

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had our first BCU error on our first day out; right at 5.5 hours on 2019 242x. Ours happened while maneuvering to the fuel dock, was in reverse, full lock on the wheel. Error came right as I killed the engines.
Based on the small dataset in this thread, I’m guessing it’s some very particular combination of things when reversing. Next outing will try and reproduce to see if I can narrow it down.

Had the seacock error on test drive, dealer said they would clear it up. Haven’t had it since but still...
Finally following up.

I've been able to replicate the BCU error a few times. It seems to only be when I kill the engines with the wheel at full lock. Not sure if it matters if in Forward, Neutral, or Reverse. 🤷‍♂️

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any new info on this? I've only used my 2019 once. Had zero issues while on the water. Came home and flushed like normal. Noticed while covering the boat, one bucket was up and one was down but didn't think much about it. After stumbling onto this thread this morning, I went outside to power up the boat to see if it corrected the buckets. Turn the batteries and the key on, and got the BCU error. Turned the batteries off at the switch for a minute or so and the issue is gone. Mine had to have happened while finishing the flush.

mrehmeyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Had this issue over the weekend, limped back to the dock and took it to the dealer... they said that this issue can happen when the bucket hits something, something jams the bucket or sand/debris gets in the linkage... and of course when we got to the dealer it had already corrected itself (batteries off during transit).

Dealer said he thought he felt some sand in the linkage but we didn't come anywhere near bottoming out on Saturday.

Dealer said that the error codes get 'stuck' in memory and it can take turning on and off 5 times to clear... they didn't say anything about batteries but I turned the engine on/off several time and was unable to clear... also turned batteries off for about 10 minutes on the water and no dice...

From reading through this thread, I am leaning towards the shutting off with steering fully turned to one side... I am pretty sure I had the steering turned all the way left when I stopped engines and it was the left bucket that was 'stuck'

Dealer has the boat this week and will do a full diagnostic but I will ask them specifically about the recall, the possible cause from having the steering all the way to one side and the possibility of the engine shut down process (press and hold vs pressing several times).

Will let you know if they provide any info.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For members that have had this issue is it the port or starboard gate? How are you limping home on one engine would it be possible to clamp off the cooling water hose and power up the other engine to limp home faster ?

Just went and checked the gates operation with the levers flipped in the black box to release the cables . On the 2017 model something could be set up differently , with the wheel full left and full right there was no noticeable additional resistance . What was noticed is that the port gate has more resistance coming off reverse for the first 1 1/2” movement . What would be great to know is there a way to trick the the mechanism in the black box so that forward operation could be used . Just looked on the parts diagram for the name of that thing it’s called Motor Assy. and it shows an updated part number for the cables . Could the older cable be a different length allowing for better routing ? They both have the same part number and obviously different lengths needed due to the pump location one must be routed differently. The 2019 parts fiche has a different number for the cable the 2016 -2018 are the same.

Please post up results of the gate operation with the motor Assy disconnected . Especially the 2019 with wheel turned full and centered to see if it’s something with the cable routing .

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Salt water boats will start to have these cables fail from corrosion usually they start to get tight after 3 to 5 years of use then seize up at some point . As preventative maintenance I hook up a hose with light weight oil and some liquid wrench to the gate connection end and let it sit over winter storage . This seems to extend the life of the shift and steering cables

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Had this issue over the weekend, limped back to the dock and took it to the dealer... they said that this issue can happen when the bucket hits something, something jams the bucket or sand/debris gets in the linkage... and of course when we got to the dealer it had already corrected itself (batteries off during transit).

Dealer said he thought he felt some sand in the linkage but we didn't come anywhere near bottoming out on Saturday.

Dealer said that the error codes get 'stuck' in memory and it can take turning on and off 5 times to clear... they didn't say anything about batteries but I turned the engine on/off several time and was unable to clear... also turned batteries off for about 10 minutes on the water and no dice...

From reading through this thread, I am leaning towards the shutting off with steering fully turned to one side... I am pretty sure I had the steering turned all the way left when I stopped engines and it was the left bucket that was 'stuck'

Dealer has the boat this week and will do a full diagnostic but I will ask them specifically about the recall, the possible cause from having the steering all the way to one side and the possibility of the engine shut down process (press and hold vs pressing several times).

Will let you know if they provide any info.

Did you take cables off of both batteries or just turn off batteries? I've had mixed results with clearing code by only turning off batteries. disconnecting batteries for at least 1 minute seems to work.

George Raduano

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had this same problem on my 2018 for a couple of months. It was chronic. We thought it was the Thrust Vectors. So we removed them. Finally, the dealer installed a software update. Since the update, no more error messages. I have probably logged over 100 hours since the update. The Thrust Vectors have also been reinstalled.

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you take cables off of both batteries or just turn off batteries? I've had mixed results with clearing code by only turning off batteries. disconnecting batteries for at least 1 minute seems to work.
Just turning them off works for me.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well....got the dreaded BCU error with only 6hrs on my 2019 242 LSE. I had just made a run from the marina to a swimming hole when the check engine light came on and alarm started to sound.

I tried resetting it by disconnecting and switching the battery off multiple times, but given the conditions (traffic, congestion, etc on Memorial Day weekend), couldn’t get it to reset quickly and didn’t have a lot of maneuvering space.

This particular error would not allow any throttle response or shifting of the gears on the Starboard Engine.

Wound up limping back to the dock on 1 engine with the other in “no wake mode” so I could run barely on a plane. Made docking into the slip a major PITA on one functioning engine.

Once I got it up in the lift, started diagnosing the issue. On the LSE when the engines are off, the buckets return home to the full up position (basically forward). On the Starboard engine, it appeared to be “stuck” in the reverse position. I checked for debris, didn’t see anything and the bucket appeared to have some play in it, so don’t think it was jammed.

Anyway, after turning the batteries off and on several times along with the key, the starboard bucket returned to “home” and the errors cleared. My batteries are new, on a float charger, topped off and in the upper 12V when just sitting idle and where in the low 14’s when the error occurred.

Seems like there is a software glitch or something out of range that is causing it to error out and go into safe mode. When I take it in for the 10hr, I’ll have the dealer look at it and see if there is an update. Have many others experienced something similar?
I’m thinking about buying a new 2020 242 SE, does anyone know if the BCU error issue (and any others) have been resolved for 2020?

This will be my first boat, so I’m trying to gauge the potential for problems. I’m going to have one shot to please the wife with the idea of having a boat!

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m thinking about buying a new 2020 242 SE, does anyone know if the BCU error issue (and any others) have been resolved for 2020?
I just bought a 2020 242SE myself about a month ago. Had it on a service rack while installing a SIMRAD GO5. Before climbing on the boat I did notice the reverse buckets were about 1/3 the way down vs being fully retracted/raised. When I turned on the House battery and the Connext booted up it started an alarm with the Check Engine/Stop BCU error on the display. This is the first time it has happened to me. Turned off the battery after silencing the alarm.

I figured I would try to manually move the buckets into the correct position. Behind the helm on the floor, there is a large rectangular cover held on by 4 wing nuts. Removed the cover, flipped the red levers to "Manual Control" then popped the caps off the top. I was able to manually move each cable lever about an inch towards the bow. Turned the battery back on and no BCU error (the buckets were in the fully raised position).

Not sure why the buckets were in their initial position to cause the error, but it was a simple resolution (at least on the E-series?)

Last edited:

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just bought a 2020 242SE myself about a month ago. Had it on a service rack while installing a SIMRAD GO5. Before climbing on the boat I did notice the reverse buckets were about 1/3 the way down vs being fully retracted. When I turned on the House battery and the Connext booted up it started an alarm with the Check Engine/Stop BCU error on the display. This is the first time it has happened to me. Turned off the battery after silencing the alarm.

I figured I would try to manually move the buckets into the correct position. Behind the helm on the floor, there is a large rectangular cover held on by 4 wing nuts. Removed the cover, flipped the red levers to "Manual Control" then popped the caps off the top. I was able to manually move each cable lever about an inch towards the bow. Turned the battery back on and no BCU error (the buckets were in the fully retracted position).

Not sure why the buckets were in their initial position to cause the error, but it was a simple resolution (at least on the E-series?)
Interesting...thanks for the feedback!

Just so I’m clear, the caps you popped off and cable levers you moved were under the rectangular cover behind the helm, right?

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting...thanks for the feedback!

Just so I’m clear, the caps you popped off and cable levers you moved were under the rectangular cover behind the helm, right?
Correct. It is a manual override for the reverse buckets (or shift gates, according to the manual) in case of a failure in the electronics. Here’s a page from the 2019 owners manual (applies to the 2020).

Attachments

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Correct. It is a manual override for the reverse buckets (or shift gates, according to the manual) in case of a failure in the electronics. Here’s a page from the 2019 owners manual (applies to the 2020).
Great info...thanks!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jim1 Don't let this BCU thing be a deal breaker or negatively affect your final decision. I have the same boat you are considering. I sold a 2016 AR240 so that I could purchase a closeout 2019 242 Limited SE model. It has performed FLAWLESSLY. They don't all do it. I realize you are just performing your due diligence and asking all the right questions. It is a wonderful boat.