• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 LSE BCU Error

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jim1 Don't let this BCU thing be a deal breaker or negatively affect your final decision. I have the same boat you are considering. I sold a 2016 AR240 so that I could purchase a closeout 2019 242 Limited SE model. It has performed FLAWLESSLY. They don't all do it. I realize you are just performing your due diligence and asking all the right questions. It is a wonderful boat.
Many thanks, WCF! If I can get a reasonable deal, I’m in!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keep in mind that when you press the start and stop buttons there are situations (possibly every time) that the boat will auto move the buckets.

So this is almost certainly a binding issue with the cables probably at hard starboard. Perhaps this is due to the positioning of the servo box behind the helm? I wonder if it isnt just right it causes binding?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wanted to update something here. I bought my boat at the end of last season and only got to use it once. Put 2.1 hours on it with no issue at all. After flushing/cleaning it the first time, I noticed one bucket up and one down. Jumped in the boat and switched the batteries on and immediately got the BCU error. Switched off the batteries, turned the key off and waited a bit. Switched back on and it was all good. Fast forward...... I put my boat in a storage building at the end of January. There was power in there (so I thought) and I had my charger plugged in. Pulled the boat out last week before our first outing and the batteries were really weak. I assume there was no power going to my plug. The boat still started so we took the boat to the river that evening. It ran fine but the first time I shut it off to anchor, the alarm went off with the BCU error. The steering was NOT at full lock nor were the buckets binding on anything. That evening I got the error more than once along with other errors (should have taken a pic of the screen). Each time I was able to easily clear by switching off the key, then the batteries......waiting a few minutes and then turning on the switches and then the key. Since that evening, the boat has been at my house with the charger plugged in while not in use. We have taken the boat out 3 times since then putting about 5-6 hours on it. Docked numerous times, anchored several times, even ran the stereo (at moderate volume) for a few hours while anchored at the sandbar and have not had the BCU error at all. I have not checked lately while docking if it was at full lock, but I haven't babied it or done anything I wouldn't normally do. I'm not saying this is it.... but it seems to me that these E series boats are very sensitive to low/lower batteries. Bear in mind, when I got the BCU error, the voltage was reading over 12 volts while at rest and over 13 volts while underway.

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Something I noticed on my boat is that if the key is in the “on” position and I turn the battery switches on I will get a BCU error. If the key is in the “off” position before turning on the battery switches, the turn the key to “on” I do not get a BCU error.

Can someone else try this and see if they get the same result?

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got the same error today after an unintentional beaching requiring a sea tow.

Was able to clear after on land by putting in manual mode, resetting the buckets to the up position, then removing batteries for ~10 mins.

Definitely had sand in the bucket area. But also had a couple quick starts and stops as was trying to save from beaching.

Not sure this helps figure out the cause.. but hopefully helps with ideas to clear.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have gotten to BCU error a total of about three or four times. I have found a simple way to clear it that works for me at least. You must turn the key and batteries off. First turn on the batteries and then the key on. So far, that clears it every time for me. Only once when I got the error do I recall turning the steering wheel hard to the left and right before shutting down. All the other times, I believe it was from a low battery issue.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

stilesja

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just got this error this evening we went out and drove around a bit. The stopped for about 40 minutes listening to Music and talking. When I went to turn it back on the starboard engine wouldn’t start and I got this BCU error. I just purchased this 2019 242 LSE. I tried turning off and turning back on. That didn’t help. I checked the clean out ports and they were fine. Finally I fired up the port engine and started heading in. After running a bit I put it back in neutral and tried firing the starboard engine up and it worked fine. Could it be running the port engine charged the battery enough to start the other engine? Should I call my dealer on this? We were wanting to go out this weekend but it has me a little nervous now.

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Assuming your batteries are charged as we have learned, the electronics on these boats don’t do well with low voltage!

As an update, the gate and positions on the LSE’s are very finicky. The BCU errors after shutting the engines down are typically caused by:
- Gate adjustment for full open/closed
- Cable friction or binding
- debri stuck in the gate

It took some time and help, but was able to reproduce, duplicate and prevent BCU errors for the remainder of last season. The BCU errors commonly occurred by:
- turning the wheel 90%+ to either the left or the right and shutting the engines down.
- shutting engines down in Single Throttle mode resulted in the most consistent BCU error with the wheel turned

This winter, the boat spent some time at the dealer with a very specific description of how to duplicate the error. After confirming, they had Yamaha instruct them to adjust the cables in increments and test until the errors went away. There may have been a software update as well.

Hope this helps. Don’t let the BCU errors from enjoying the boat. We used ours for many times last year avoiding the BCU errors by not shutting the engines down in single lever mode and straightening the wheel before the engines were shut down. Since the dealer did adjustments, we haven’t put a lot of hours on it, but in my limited testing since those adjustments, we haven’t been able to reproduce the BCU errors. Hopefully this indicates the issue has been resolved.

If you get the error on the water, make sure the wheel is straight, turn the batteries and key off for a few minutes and then try a few restarts of the motor. Once this was done, mine usually cleared and everything was back to normal.

In playing around with the gates, I also found placing the gates in manual override operation and resetting them to full open (with the batteries and key off) then re-engaging them and turning the batteries back on would clear it. That’s a pain in the butt, so most of the time it was a battery/start combination, but usually managed to get it to reset fairly quickly every time once I got the combination down.

Don’t get me wrong, the boat should never have had the issue, but learning the cause enabled preventative measures that produced many BCU error free outings and allowed us to use the boat for the rest of the season without frustration. It will be interesting to see if the issue is really resolved or not. I’ll keep you posted.

stilesja

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I am laying here in bed thinking I may have messed up. I ran it a bit with just one engine to get back to the dock. Not very fast though. We didn’t go very far before I tried starting it again and it fired up. Could I have had water go up the exhaust from doing that? How would I know if anything was wrong? Would it have not fired back up?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I am laying here in bed thinking I may have messed up. I ran it a bit with just one engine to get back to the dock. Not very fast though. We didn’t go very far before I tried starting it again and it fired up. Could I have had water go up the exhaust from doing that? How would I know if anything was wrong? Would it have not fired back up?
If it fired right up you should be ok. Check the oil on the dipstick, and if it isn't milky colored you are fine. Milky colored oil would mean you got water in the case. You are probably fine.

Al-B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Had the BCU error last weekend..backing up , shallow water.

After opening the manual cable over ride box, flipped to manual...I was able to lift the stuck Starbord bucket up!
It was stuck good! not sure what did it? stick? rock? but after I could manually lift it at the bucket by hand, it was loose.

I flipped the helm overide levers back and retsarted with no issues.

Hopefully I wont see this again. 019-242 LimSE

stilesja

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If it fired right up you should be ok. Check the oil on the dipstick, and if it isn't milky colored you are fine. Milky colored oil would mean you got water in the case. You are probably fine.
Thanks, yeah I checked the dip stick the next morning and it was nice and clear. Just like the other engine and been running great. That night of worry was a great for making me think before I do anything like that again.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Has Yamaha acknowledged the problem for anyone? I had it again this past week about 5 times while doing water sports. Everytime
It was after a hard full turn of wheel and movement from forward to reverse and back to forward. I’ve trained myself to not do that but brother was driving and didn’t tell him the tricks.
Quite annoying and very dangerous if you’re navigating a current at docks with other boats around.

I have an appointment at my dealership (freaking earliest is end of June... ugh) and not looking forward to that fight and leaving it there for weeks..

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
talked to my dealer today on the phone.. was not familiar with the issue. Does anyone know if there are any yamaha documents or what I can do to get them to understand this? Really want some level of confidence the for the dealer to be able to fix quickly vs. the dreaded weeks in the shop.

thanks,
mike

Gforce81

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also had the BCU error Saturday at the end of the day while coming in the marina trying to position the boat to get on my lift. 2019 LSE. Was a disaster. I came on port side and turned hard starboard to swing the rear out and about then is when I recall it happening to the starboard motor, shutting it off. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening and by that point, my bimini top got underneath the boat beside me, ripping an 18" T shaped tear in my top.

I shut the engines off walked the boat onto the lift. I checked the cleanout ports and there was no obstruction. After shutting everything down and back on, but the boat back in the water, no BCU error. Starts and runs fine. Flushed the boat as well. Not sure what exactly happened. A few thoughts/questions:

• The BCU error is known the throw when it believes one of the buckets is stuck in the reverse position, correct?
  • From researching threads, there are multiple reports of it happening when the wheel is turned at full lock and engine being shutoff...in my case the engines were on - does this happen to anyone else?
  • Is it possible the Cobra Jet Fins could be causing these to get stuck when at full turn lock? I want to rule out the fins being a potential problem...
  • I leave my house battery on while on the lift to keep the bilge working in the event it was needed. In seeing other reports around the LSE being finicky with voltage, I wonder if I should run a battery tender to keep them fully charged between uses to rule anything there out?

I am due for my first 10 hour service and am going to have the dealer look everything over but given nobody here seem to be able to completely recreate the issue, I am guessing they will say "everything appears to be in good working order".

Really pisses me off as it's a new boat and when this happens you lose full control and in tight spaces when you need full control and full range of maneuverability and risk breaking something - in my case shredding my damn top which they're very expensive. I want to enjoy the boat without worrying something stupid is going to happen at any minute.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have had it happen once when I was underway. It was recent and once again, I think I can contribute it to low batteries. I keep mine on a Promariner charger/tender when not in use BUT, for some reason a few weeks ago, the charger bit the dust and I didn't know it until I went to change to all new batteries. We took the boat out that evening anyway, but it was weak starting. Had about a 15 minute ride back to the no wake zone and once I went into no wake, got the alarm. But it didn't shut my engine off.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also had the BCU error Saturday at the end of the day while coming in the marina trying to position the boat to get on my lift. 2019 LSE. Was a disaster. I came on port side and turned hard starboard to swing the rear out and about then is when I recall it happening to the starboard motor, shutting it off. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening and by that point, my bimini top got underneath the boat beside me, ripping an 18" T shaped tear in my top.

I shut the engines off walked the boat onto the lift. I checked the cleanout ports and there was no obstruction. After shutting everything down and back on, but the boat back in the water, no BCU error. Starts and runs fine. Flushed the boat as well. Not sure what exactly happened. A few thoughts/questions:

• The BCU error is known the throw when it believes one of the buckets is stuck in the reverse position, correct?
  • From researching threads, there are multiple reports of it happening when the wheel is turned at full lock and engine being shutoff...in my case the engines were on - does this happen to anyone else?
  • Is it possible the Cobra Jet Fins could be causing these to get stuck when at full turn lock? I want to rule out the fins being a potential problem...
  • I leave my house battery on while on the lift to keep the bilge working in the event it was needed. In seeing other reports around the LSE being finicky with voltage, I wonder if I should run a battery tender to keep them fully charged between uses to rule anything there out?

I am due for my first 10 hour service and am going to have the dealer look everything over but given nobody here seem to be able to completely recreate the issue, I am guessing they will say "everything appears to be in good working order".

Really pisses me off as it's a new boat and when this happens you lose full control and in tight spaces when you need full control and full range of maneuverability and risk breaking something - in my case shredding my damn top which they're very expensive. I want to enjoy the boat without worrying something stupid is going to happen at any minute.
So, I can confirm I get this BCU error while engines still running, as a fact, it has happened 90% of the time while engines running. It happens when wheel is tight turned and you're navigating with forward/reverse. I put my buckets into manual mode this weekend on the trailer to see if the grease was filled with dirt. It was not. I did notice that with wheel turned tight, they were harder to open and close. Based on some other threads that aligns to a computer threshold issue where there is more torque/force required to move them when they are turned and sends a BCU error as it doesn't want to break something.

I have my appt wednesday.. Called in and talked it through just so they don't waste time but I really feel it's going to be a waste of time in the shop.

Pisses me off too on a brand new boat and can't get clear resolution to the issue. I would file a complaint if they don't cover the top since it was caused by loss of power while docking. It is an extremely dangerous situation to lose drive capability like this. I'm not sure how we get yamaha to acknowledge and dealers to diagnose the problem.

EDIT: Also to clarify. I can 100% reset by doing these two things: Straighten Steering wheel, turn off both batteries, wait 5 seconds and turn back on. No other magic order of key, battery, wait 10 mins.. As soon as it happens, I straighten the steering wheel, batteries off, batteries on. System boots up and I can restart with problem solved.

mike

Gforce81

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As mentioned, am wondering if something when the Cobra Jet Fins were installed that something is too tight when, as you describe, the wheel is turned hard in one direction it creates too much resistance trying to move the buckets up and down when going from forward and reverse. If that's the case, then I doubt they would cover the repair under warranty since I installed something aftermarket. They'd likely blame it on that regardless, so it's likely not worth fighting over.

Am going to install a batter charger when I take out for the first service just to rule that out in the future and have them go over the other installers work on the cobra fins. Let's hope that's the issue...do any of you guys having the same issue have aftermarket fins?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As mentioned, am wondering if something when the Cobra Jet Fins were installed that something is too tight when, as you describe, the wheel is turned hard in one direction it creates too much resistance trying to move the buckets up and down when going from forward and reverse. If that's the case, then I doubt they would cover the repair under warranty since I installed something aftermarket. They'd likely blame it on that regardless, so it's likely not worth fighting over.

Am going to install a batter charger when I take out for the first service just to rule that out in the future and have them go over the other installers work on the cobra fins. Let's hope that's the issue...do any of you guys having the same issue have aftermarket fins?
I have Cobra Fins, but I used my boat a few weekends before installing the Fins and did get the error prior to install.