• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 LSE BCU Error

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I noticed tonight when I was putting on my cobra jet setup that at full lock in either direction the bucket “pulls up” a bit, which may indicate binding, or a cable too short. I plan to bring this to the attention of my dealer.
Cool! (not to deviate off this thread but.. ) Let me know how you like the CobraJet's.. I've held off as I really wanted to learn and manage steering stock.. I feel I have mastered steering without, but I can tell ya, in these long idle zones I sure could use some help to not have to baby steering.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cool! (not to deviate off this thread but.. ) Let me know how you like the CobraJet's.. I've held off as I really wanted to learn and manage steering stock.. I feel I have mastered steering without, but I can tell ya, in these long idle zones I sure could use some help to not have to baby steering.
After spending the last 10 days boating in Green Bay, a lot of the time at speeds above 35 mph, I must say that I have very hopeful expectations that the cobra jet setup (I got the deluxe with fangs, which I think is the one with the most pieces) drastically changes the handling/steering characteristics. The slow speed waffling of the boat is one thing, but the lack of ability to quickly be able to maneuver through an errant wake or wave is so damn unnerving to me that I wouldn’t even allow my children to drive the boat at all. There were a couple of times where it actually scared me a bit when I couldnt get the boat to react quickly enough through a wave, and after spending over $80k on this thing, it’s just unacceptable to me. I am in awe that these jet boat mfgs don’t put these systems in place (and it also bothers me why they don’t; is there something they don’t like about them?). Anyway, we are supposed to go out Friday night. I’m back in St. Louis and will be on the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers, which arent too bad, but I will know immediately whether or not the Cobras were worth the $542 I paid for them. Stay tuned. It’s supposed to rain all weekend here, so there’s a chance I won’t get out, but I will follow up when I do.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have t had time to take mine in yet, but my error only comes at full lock as described above, and can be fixed in less than a minute by centering the wheel and cycling my battery switches. I did notice my gates move by themselves at full lock, in that they pull up a bit. Maybe the cable are too short, hence the error code at full lock (which only happens when shutting down the engines on my 242SE). Anyway, this isn’t much of a concern for me anymore.

As for the Cobra setup: is the steering response better, yes. Is it drastically better, no. The owner of the company and I spoke last week at length about my setup; he is very available and is a nice guy. But is this the magic bullet I was hoping for, no. There is still a half a steering wheel of play at speed. Idle speed seems to be better for sure. Anyway, for $535 I’ll let it go, but if it was any more than that, I think I’d be asking for my money back. Just my two cents. Btw, he said it’s extremely important to get them aligned properly on install, which took me two tries. Go slowly and give him a call if you have questions. Ensuring your keel is exactly centered and perpendicular is critical to the alignment of the fins/jets/keel for optimum performance.

update on 07/12/20: pulled the boat out today to take to service and realized my new Cobra fins were in the highest position, which logically didn’t help much! Duh. Install error on my behalf; the owner told me not to do it at night, but I did anyway, twice in fact (because I redid it to ensure it was aligned perfectly), and reinstalled them up high. So I just lowered them to their lowest position and will post an update after it’s back in the water in a couple of weeks. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

factory1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Assuming your batteries are charged as we have learned, the electronics on these boats don’t do well with low voltage!

As an update, the gate and positions on the LSE’s are very finicky. The BCU errors after shutting the engines down are typically caused by:
- Gate adjustment for full open/closed
- Cable friction or binding
- debri stuck in the gate

It took some time and help, but was able to reproduce, duplicate and prevent BCU errors for the remainder of last season. The BCU errors commonly occurred by:
- turning the wheel 90%+ to either the left or the right and shutting the engines down.
- shutting engines down in Single Throttle mode resulted in the most consistent BCU error with the wheel turned

This winter, the boat spent some time at the dealer with a very specific description of how to duplicate the error. After confirming, they had Yamaha instruct them to adjust the cables in increments and test until the errors went away. There may have been a software update as well.

Hope this helps. Don’t let the BCU errors from enjoying the boat. We used ours for many times last year avoiding the BCU errors by not shutting the engines down in single lever mode and straightening the wheel before the engines were shut down. Since the dealer did adjustments, we haven’t put a lot of hours on it, but in my limited testing since those adjustments, we haven’t been able to reproduce the BCU errors. Hopefully this indicates the issue has been resolved.

If you get the error on the water, make sure the wheel is straight, turn the batteries and key off for a few minutes and then try a few restarts of the motor. Once this was done, mine usually cleared and everything was back to normal.

In playing around with the gates, I also found placing the gates in manual override operation and resetting them to full open (with the batteries and key off) then re-engaging them and turning the batteries back on would clear it. That’s a pain in the butt, so most of the time it was a battery/start combination, but usually managed to get it to reset fairly quickly every time once I got the combination down.

Don’t get me wrong, the boat should never have had the issue, but learning the cause enabled preventative measures that produced many BCU error free outings and allowed us to use the boat for the rest of the season without frustration. It will be interesting to see if the issue is really resolved or not. I’ll keep you posted.
Hi there, I am a tech at one of the dealerships and thought you may find some value in what I have recently found. BCU errors are commonly found in the exact conditions you have described. The system is designed to safely move the gate into Forward, Neutral and Reverse. If the system senses unusual amp draw or resistance to perform these gate position changes a BCU error will result. This would be a normal error if a rope/debris or sand were lodged in the gate, or corroded shift gate cables caused resistance, or an impact caused damage to the gates. If all seems to be in correct order and the boat is experiencing the error on a "chronic level" you may need to consider my recent findings. Look for the plastic reverse gate making any contact with the jet housing. Sometimes the gate makes a large rubbing mark but I recently had one where the mark was only an 1/8 inch long and barely visible. The Plastic reverse gate is most likely to rub at full lock turn in either direction during a gear change or during the reverse gate movement that happens during each start/stop engine cycle. The system is also more vulnerable during a start/stop cycle. When the engines are running the gates will be in whatever position the hand levers demand. When the engine is shut off the gates will need to be in the up or the forward position. If the engine was shut off while in the hand control was in the forward position the gates will not move much. If the engines where shut off with the hand control in the neutral or reverse position the gates will need to move up several inches. While these gates are moving to the forward position a few seconds after the engine is shut off and little rub will cause the error. A common BCU error scenario is the boat is running in neutral or reverse and a person turns the steering wheel full lock in either direction and then shuts the engine off. Another common scenario is a person turns the wheel full lock to either position and then starts the boat. If these two scenarios cause a BCU error I have had to either readjust the steering cables to prevent the Reverse gate from rubbing the housing or even slightly file down the plastic gate to prevent the rub. There are several other causes of BCU errors but they are mostly caused from bad batteries or electrical wire connection issues.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi there, I am a tech at one of the dealerships and thought you may find some value in what I have recently found. BCU errors are commonly found in the exact conditions you have described. The system is designed to safely move the gate into Forward, Neutral and Reverse. If the system senses unusual amp draw or resistance to perform these gate position changes a BCU error will result. This would be a normal error if a rope/debris or sand were lodged in the gate, or corroded shift gate cables caused resistance, or an impact caused damage to the gates. If all seems to be in correct order and the boat is experiencing the error on a "chronic level" you may need to consider my recent findings. Look for the plastic reverse gate making any contact with the jet housing. Sometimes the gate makes a large rubbing mark but I recently had one where the mark was only an 1/8 inch long and barely visible. The Plastic reverse gate is most likely to rub at full lock turn in either direction during a gear change or during the reverse gate movement that happens during each start/stop engine cycle. The system is also more vulnerable during a start/stop cycle. When the engines are running the gates will be in whatever position the hand levers demand. When the engine is shut off the gates will need to be in the up or the forward position. If the engine was shut off while in the hand control was in the forward position the gates will not move much. If the engines where shut off with the hand control in the neutral or reverse position the gates will need to move up several inches. While these gates are moving to the forward position a few seconds after the engine is shut off and little rub will cause the error. A common BCU error scenario is the boat is running in neutral or reverse and a person turns the steering wheel full lock in either direction and then shuts the engine off. Another common scenario is a person turns the wheel full lock to either position and then starts the boat. If these two scenarios cause a BCU error I have had to either readjust the steering cables to prevent the Reverse gate from rubbing the housing or even slightly file down the plastic gate to prevent the rub. There are several other causes of BCU errors but they are mostly caused from bad batteries or electrical wire connection issues.
Great info.... Thanks for your input!

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, thank you. I will send this info on to my local dealership. Just dropped it off yesterday!

Gator1971

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The BCU code happened to me today for the first time. 2018 242 SE. I just completed a 2 day 220 mile trip on the Tennesse River and it happen. I know I had the wheel locked to the left in a attempt to fight the river current when loading the boat back on to the trailer. Normally I’m in a lake and never had to turn the wheel that much when loading back on the trailer. Hopefully all the tips will reset the computer correct the problem.

Neil 242x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi There, New to the forum, but this info is top notch. Bought a new 242xe this July (2020) logged about 75 hrs todate. Just got the BCU error (Mid Sept) for first time when pulling back into dock and tapping into reverse to slow my entry. I dock very slowly (newbie) so docking was fine and complete. After we tied up checked and Port engine was a dead stick. Engine would start but nothing worked on the throttle. I'm pretty sure I docked under single throttle control (which was a first and also a possible cause). It was the port engine, so made sure engines off and stuck hand in water to inspect. There was a stick, not really jammed but in a possible jam/block spot. Comparing the buckets it seems like port (with the problem) was lower than Strbd. Shut engine and batteries off multiple times, code still came back. Was very frustrated as seson is winding down here on Lake Erie until reading the great info on this site and was SUCCESSFUL with the following:

(Side note: had the dealer install the Thrust Vector Wake version prior to taking ownership based on this forum. They did not pose any issues with the below that I could tell. And they are great btw)

1. With all a batteries and engines off
1.a Made sure wheel was in the center position
2. Went to the troubleshooting part of manual and found the manual bucket release control. (FYI its on the floor a big 9x12 type of cover. I was looking on the back of the helm for something smaller)
3. took off 4 wing nuts and slid cover off, flipped both switches to manual
4. Went back, stuck hand in water and moved the port bucket to full open (back toward transom). Checked starbd and was fine. Moved both back and forth a couple of times to ensure no binding and or sticks or anything via brail
5. Flipped both switches back to electric - put cover back on. NOTE: the farthest wing nut is a pain b/c you have to reach into and slide half into the compartment (at least I did :0) so maybe start with that one.
- All in all an under 10 minute process

THEN I FOLLOWED MY NEW START-UP PROCEDURE BASED ON WHAT LEARNED HERE:
1. Put the key in but did not turn on - Made sure wheel at the center position
2. Flipped the START battery first, waited a few seconds, then the HOUSE battery
3. Waited about 20/30 seconds to let the system boot up. (blower kicking on anyway) then turned the ignition on. = NO BCU error, it was cleared!! Both engines fired up and both throttles back to normal operation.

We took the boat out and operated normally. Docked under two throttle, with the reverse tap to stop, no problems. Will update if I find anything different to the above. As first time boaters we love the boat and learning how to finesse the things like jams in the impeller and now bucket management when needed. Quick fixes like this should be the exception not norm which has been our experience this summer. There are a few suggestions i would like to send Yamaha, is there a way to send them to their product team or product improvement team?

Last edited:

bigredky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi There, New to the forum, but this info is top notch. Bought a new 242xe this July (2020) logged about 75 hrs todate. Just got the BCU error (Mid Sept) for first time when pulling back into dock and tapping into reverse to slow my entry. I dock very slowly (newbie) so docking was fine and complete. After we tied up checked and Port engine was a dead stick. Engine would start but nothing worked on the throttle. I'm pretty sure I docked under single throttle control (which was a first and also a possible cause). It was the port engine, so made sure engines off and stuck hand in water to inspect. There was a stick, not really jammed but in a possible jam/block spot. Comparing the buckets it seems like port (with the problem) was lower than Strbd. Shut engine and batteries off multiple times, code still came back. Was very frustrated as seson is winding down here on Lake Erie until reading the great info on this site and was SUCCESSFUL with the following:

(Side note: had the dealer install the Thrust Vector Wake version prior to taking ownership based on this forum. They did not pose any issues with the below that I could tell. And they are great btw)

2. Went to the troubleshooting part of manual and found the manual bucket release control. (FYI its on the floor a big 9x12 type of cover. I was looking on the back of the helm for something smaller)
4. Went back, stuck hand in water and moved the port bucket to full open (back toward transom). Checked starbd and was fine. Moved both back and forth a couple of times to ensure no binding and or sticks or anything via brail
5. Flipped both switches back to electric - put cover back on. NOTE: the farthest wing nut is a pain b/c you have to reach into and slide half into the compartment (at least I did :0) so maybe start with that one.

2. Flipped the START battery first, waited a few seconds, then the HOUSE battery
3. Waited about 20/30 seconds to let the system boot up. (blower kicking on anyway) then turned the ignition on. = NO BCU error, it was cleared!! Both engines fired up and both throttles back to normal operation.

We took the boat out and operated normally. Docked under two throttle, with the reverse tap to stop, no problems. Will update if I find anything different to the above. As first time boaters we love the boat and learning how to finesse the things like jams in the impeller and now bucket management when needed. Quick fixes like this should be the exception not norm which has been our experience this summer. There are a few suggestions i would like to send Yamaha, is there a way to send them to their product team or product improvement team?
I talked to my local dealer who have been a pleasure to work with. The lead service tech said they've never heard of the BCU issue so we plan on evaluating when we winterize and then contact Yamaha. The dealer made it sound like they have to contact their Yamaha factory representative and I could not go direct. I plan on printing out this entire thread, and the other thread that has some of the same BCU information. I had hoped there was a way to send the links to these forums direct to the Yamaha Tech group but I'll report back after I work with our local dealer.

Last edited:

mike6350

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We bought a 2020 242X E Series in June and the BCU has happened to us on the first time we took it out (which I used this forum to be able to reset and get the boat back safely) and I have had the error pretty much every time I have the boat out. Meaning out of the 20 plus times this summer only two or three times it didnt happen. Some times its happened as much as three times in one outing. It always happens when the steering wheel is in a hard steer one way or the other. I have had it to the dealer 4 times ( I just took it to them a 4th time). One time they adjusted the cables the boat went in reverse when in neutral and that caused a bunch of other issues. Now the boat stays in the same place when in neutral but the issue persists. I recently sent the dealer this thread in hopes it helps them finally fix it. If they do I will let you guys know.

Neil 242x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Quick Update to all Reading: Since Reset of the buckets mannually and the new procedures above, have not replicated the BCU. Best of luck to those with more persistent errors. Seems like the bucket/cable setup should be replaced if consistent as that seems to be the cause from my (very limited) experience.

Valy305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Brand new 2020 242SE. Had this error on and off all day today. Last time it happened I was in full lock, in reverse in dual throttle mode, and was reversing into the dock with a front line on the cleat. As soon as I hit the stop buttons, the code threw. I haven’t been able to reset it. I was in sand today when it first happened; got that to reset after 5 battery switch cycles. Then pulled tubers for 2 hours with no issue. Then it happened coming into dock. Drove to gas pump on one engine (other running) and it reset while fueling up. Then drove 3 minutes back over to dock and it threw again in reverse hard lock while shutting down the engines.

This boat is 2 weeks old. Was delivered to me with dead batteries. The gps/speedo only works about every 3rd outing. Now this (happened once yesterday before ever getting into sand today). I have 7 hours on it now. Totally disheartened by all of this. I am on vacation in Green Bay and we are boating all week. I’m praying the steps above will reset it (straightening the wheel). Will ensure not to use throttles and hard steer lock when docking. But what a pain. My family thinks this boat is a joke, and I paid full price for it!
In June bought a Yamaha 2020 242 SE Limited Series in Miami, it has been nothing but a bightmare. Constant BCU Error, 4 trips to the dealer to no resolve. Error comes on and off. I was driving it when the BCU Error happened, there is no more control of the boat. Almost hit a wall as the BCU Error causing you to lose control of the boat, a dangerous feature. Just peachy!!

Al-B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ive got an 019 with 20 hrs on it...BCU error happens often...Usulayy backing up and in low tide..the stones kicked up jam the flipdown gate against the houseing..just know its the reverse gate sticking
I flip the lever under the console to manual....go back and grab the gate force it up or unstick it...go operate the cable from the lever then flip it back to servo control...Fixes it everytime!

mike6350

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As an update to my issue posted earlier. It was in the shop for over a month. I alerted the dealer to this thread. They found that the nozzles of the jets were of the incorrect size and replaced them. I did get the boat back and took it out for a short spin where it seemed to be fixed. The nozzles on the side showed scrape marks where the buckets were hitting triggering the BCU error. Maybe check your nozzles for marks from teh buckets scraping as they should never contact one another. Anyway good luck and if I do have issues with mine once I get it back in the water for some real usage I will update the thread.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ive got an 019 with 20 hrs on it...BCU error happens often...Usulayy backing up and in low tide..the stones kicked up jam the flipdown gate against the houseing..just know its the reverse gate sticking
I flip the lever under the console to manual....go back and grab the gate force it up or unstick it...go operate the cable from the lever then flip it back to servo control...Fixes it everytime!
With over 20 years on jet boats I have had this happen a few times of course I didn’t get a BCU error but have had the buckets get jammed up with small pebbles . When you try to shift the gate lever is jammed and I originally thought the cable decided to give out and seize at the worst time but then realized it was small rocks hangin up in the gate. Try your best not to hit reverse in shallow water. @JetBoatPilot posted a video showing a boat idling and how the intake creates a type of vortex sucking sand off the bottom of the body of water they were in . If someone filmed this and they shifted the gate into reverse in an area that had all small pebbles and increased the rpm you would be amazed by how much debri gets blown loose and is temporarily suspended in the water even at three feet deep . The reason they can get jammed in the gate is that reverse of the jet propulsion drops the gate down as the water is redirected at an angle to create reverse propulsion any small pebbles shells can be sucked into the intake then as they come out they hit the gate and can settle in the top portion and prevent it from moving not allowing a shift into neutral or forward. The computer senses the additional drag and will throw the code . The shifter moves but the new boats have no cable directly connected to the shift gates

As an update to my issue posted earlier. It was in the shop for over a month. I alerted the dealer to this thread. They found that the nozzles of the jets were of the incorrect size and replaced them. I did get the boat back and took it out for a short spin where it seemed to be fixed. The nozzles on the side showed scrape marks where the buckets were hitting triggering the BCU error. Maybe check your nozzles for marks from teh buckets scraping as they should never contact one another. Anyway good luck and if I do have issues with mine once I get it back in the water for some real usage I will update the thread.
Great follow up as @AI-B posted release the cable from the servo and check how freely the gate moves . I release mine during winter storage while the boat is wrapped every few weeks I move the gates to keep the cables from gauling due to salt water use I even hook a hose with light weight oil to keep them moving freely

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad your issue is resolved. I find it curious though with them saying the nozzles were the incorrect size. Did they elaborate on that?
I didn't think on the JetBoats you could get different size nozzles that are model dependent? Maybe between TR1's and 1.8's?

Granted, I'm a JB noob and still learning, but I only know of different sizes on the waverunner's, not JB's.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad your issue is resolved. I find it curious though with them saying the nozzles were the incorrect size. Did they elaborate on that?
I didn't think on the JetBoats you could get different size nozzles that are model dependent? Maybe between TR1's and 1.8's?
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but yeah that did sound strange. Far as I know, there were only 155mm on the later model boats with the 1.8 HO's, and 160mm on the SVHO's. Maybe the TR1's have something different.. Really odd that this would be the dealer explanation on a 2020 242.. Major mess up in QA if that was the case! Though perhaps not unheard of, I mean my boat was delivered to the dealer with the wrong windshield, so who knows! :rolleyes:

Singletary12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Many thanks, WCF! If I can get a reasonable deal, I’m in!
To spend $70k plus on a new boat and to have these problems is ridiculous. Plus none of these dealerships know how to fix it. I bought the 242X wake series new in 2019 and it’s hands down the worst boat I have ever owned. Regretting my purchase big time!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yes, thank you. I will send this info on to my local dealership. Just dropped it off yesterday!
Curious to know how your cobra fins worked out after you adjusted them all the way down. I love my Thrust Vectors at low speeds, but as you stated, these boats are knarly at high speeds in rough water. The play in the steering is unacceptable.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Curious to know how your cobra fins worked out after you adjusted them all the way down. I love my Thrust Vectors at low speeds, but as you stated, these boats are knarly at high speeds in rough water. The play in the steering is unacceptable.
They really didn’t get much better. Surely not the “formula 1 handling” the owner of the company promised. Better at lower speeds for sure. Probably worth it for that.

I gave up asking my dealer to fix the BCU error. We need a class action attorney to buy one of these boats and defend us all. I opened a case with Yamaha and it was lip service; they didn’t even call the dealer. Im just dealing with it. Enjoying the boat otherwise.