• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Release coming soon!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The sad thing is every new boat in the size is same price. The tige are 90k+ as surf boats.

If all you do is surf it's getting to point where you can buy one of those. If you wanna fish, surf, lake hop, take her to the ocean these are all around best imo still.

The biggest difference between yamaha and other jets is the ease of cleaning via clean out plugs.
Honestly I don't know of many Yamaha owners who do all of that either. Most buy them to cruise the lakes, chill in coves and do watersports. All of those can be done easily with a Wake boat. The problem is the X series of boats don't really market themselves as an "all around" boat but rather a Wake/tow sports activity boat with its integrated ballast. People buy those for watersports or else they would buy a Limited. Not many people fish off these boats either especially once you add SeaDek as nobody wants blood and guts on that stuff. So I'd say a Wake boat has a lot in common with the same activities you'd buy an X model for and if waves and wakes are a factor (which lets face it they are for watersports) then the dedicated Wake boat makes more sense than a more expensive jet boat.

Also worth mentioning that many of today's Wake boats use closed loop cooling engines. So you could technically take them to the salt but not many ever would as there is just too much to go wrong and ruin such an expensive boat made for lakes lol. They also offer salt kits with flush ability for inboards. My cousin would take his Axis to the gulf once or twice. It can certainly be done ;)...

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly I don't know of many Yamaha owners who do all of that either. Most buy them to cruise the lakes, chill in coves and do watersports. All of those can be done easily with a Wake boat. The problem is the X series of boats don't really market themselves as an "all around" boat but rather a Wake/tow sports activity boat with its integrated ballast. People buy those for watersports or else they would buy a Limited. Not many people Fish off these bots either especially once you add SeaDek as nobody wants blood and guts on that stuff. So I'd say a Wake boat has a lot in common with the same activities you'd buy an X model for and if waves and wakes are a factor (which lets face it they are for watersports) then the dedicated Wake boat makes more sense than a more expensive jet boat.

Also worth mentioning that many of today's Wake boats use closed loop cooling engines. So you could technically take them to the salt but not many ever would as there is just too much to go wrong and ruin such an expensive boat made for lakes lol. They also offer salt kits with flush ability for inboards. My cousin would take his Axis to the gulf once or twice. It can certainly be done ;)...

Could just be me, and growing up on. Other coasts and lakes from Georgia up to Seattle I wouldn't want a wake boat that is build for surfing mainly.

I like the ability to surf, fish, cruise, where ever. My ideal boat later in life is a center console when I am living on the coast fishing running it up and anchoring at sand bars and traveling the warm waters.

Until I live on the water somewhere I will have something that can do a little of everything. Yamaha fits that bill for me right now and for many others.

Many other great brands. My kids are young and dont like the outdrive so jets are best for us atm.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly I don't know of many Yamaha owners who do all of that either. Most buy them to cruise the lakes, chill in coves and do watersports. All of those can be done easily with a Wake boat. The problem is the X series of boats don't really market themselves as an "all around" boat but rather a Wake/tow sports activity boat with its integrated ballast. People buy those for watersports or else they would buy a Limited. Not many people Fish off these bots either especially once you add SeaDek as nobody wants blood and guts on that stuff. So I'd say a Wake boat has a lot in common with the same activities you'd buy an X model for and if waves and wakes are a factor (which lets face it they are for watersports) then the dedicated Wake boat makes more sense than a more expensive jet boat.

Sure... But don't forget the ease of maintenance and NO WINTERIZATION. Just like an o/b, I can take off in the middle of Winter on a nice day. And still have the safety of the jets for watersports.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even so, they sell every one
I agree there I’m actually hoping they raise the price of the AR240 by $3k as well. Let’s hold theses resale values.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sure... But don't forget the ease of maintenance and NO WINTERIZATION. Just like an o/b, I can take off in the middle of Winter on a nice day. And still have the safety of the jets for watersports.

--
This is true, to a degree, but the difference in maintenance is not that big of a deal IMO. If you just factor in oil changes I'd say its easier AND CHEAPER to change the oil in a v-drive than it is changing the oil TWICE in a twin Yamaha. Cost around $65 to change the oil in a Raptor 6.2L and that's using AutoZone website as a reference, so there's certainly cheaper places to get it. At the end of the year it takes about an hour or less to winterize a typical v-drive. Any of the newer boats running the Raptor engines are closed loop therefore no need to pull the engine plugs. You would however still pull 5 drain plugs from the heat exchanger, exhaust manifolds and the transmission. Thankfully you have relatively easy access to the engine (side locker panels in inboards are removable for engine service reasons) and the v-drive itself has an access from the cockpit under the rear bench in most boats. Good thing for me is I hate the cold so my boating season usually stops around early November and I don't come out of hibernation until Feb-April so it's not really likely I have the urge to be out on the water during winter. I'm the type that if I can't swim in it then it just feels like such a tease and I'm a big puss for when it's cold :D. I don't know how people live where it normally snows!

Don't forget that both of these boat types would have ballast bags, tanks and ballast pumps that would need winterization and service. At the end of the day you're still going to spend an hour or so "winterizing" or doing the annual service to either style of boat so it's not really that big of a deal IMO and seems to get blown out of proportion unless you dig into the forums and see it's not so bad. If anything inboard engine parts are MUCH cheaper and readily available anywhere within miles of your house. Not really possible with Yamaha parts.

Yes jets can be safer in terms of running gear but it's not like a v-drive has the prop anywhere near the rider or where someone would typically be swimming. If you were in the water and either boat came by at speed and hit you, you're likely not going to make it anyways. V-drives have surf systems hanging underneath the swim platform and jets have jet pumps, fins and other metal bits under their swim platform. Jets have their own dangers associated with them just like any boat. I guess the argument could be made either way but I think we all can agree a v-drive is probably the safest form of recreational prop boat in terms of the prop being the evil dangerous bad guy in the room.

Just my .02

Last edited:

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Any new colors on the 195?

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I heard that the 2019 242X series will have a wake wedge type contraption integrated from factory.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just spoke to dealer and nation wide the only boat they could get more inventory in was the 195. They are expecting some type of change to those. He was a lonely sales person so might not be in the know

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I could see this coming a mile away.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I heard that the 2019 242X series will have a wake wedge type contraption integrated from factory.
I bet you they use a rubber horse stall mat flap. But call is something fancy like "articulating surfpoint keel" and price it as if it's made of gold.

In reality, I will be very curious to see how it stacks up to Gatlin wedge which is surprisingly difficult to eclipse or even match (as I found out the hard way, lol).

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Surf Matte"

It's integrated into the swim platform like an RV awning.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Or some type of platform like the Chap's use. The ASP.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_1912.jpg Performance East just got in this 2019 255 open.... Notice the optional hard top now.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hopefully nothing to cool, as I should keep what I have. Lol

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
By the way... The above Scarab 255 open has twin 300hp Rotax.