• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Ford Explorer towing a Yamaha

Cody700

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Tow rating probably has little to do with the motor, and more to do with the frame and trailer hitch. My 2018 F-150 has the max trailer tow package, high payload package, class IV receiver hitch, with the 3.5 Ecoboost ... so it's good for close to 13k lbs of towing. But if you read the fine print, anything above 5000lbs should have a weight distribution hitch.
Only if the tongue weight is too heavy.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only if the tongue weight is too heavy.
NO, if above 5k a WDH is required. Tongue weight is not the qualifier for a WDH necessity. There are other components in the hitch system that mandate the use of a WDH over 5k lbs.

Cody700

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
NO, if above 5k a WDH is required. Tongue weight is not the qualifier for a WDH necessity. There are other components in the hitch system that mandate the use of a WDH over 5k lbs.
You can do it any way YOU want, unless I have an unbalanced tongue weight that is too heavy for the rear suspension of my truck, I do NOT need a WDH. I don't care what is recommended. I've been towing all my life and I know what I can do. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can do it any way YOU want, unless I have an unbalanced tongue weight that is too heavy for the rear suspension of my truck, I do NOT need a WDH. I don't care what is recommended. I've been towing all my life and I know what I can do. Thank you very much and have a nice day.
It's not that you don't need it, it's that you haven't used it in the past, have had acceptable results, and now think you don't need it. Secondly, it's not a reccomendation, it's a mandate. The verbiage is rather clear. Requires means must, not just if you want to, if you feel like it, or if you haven't broken something in the past going without.

SO, YOU do whatever YOU want, but please don't advise others on a public forum to go against the owners manual requirements. You are advising them to NOT adhere to explicit instructions given by a manufacturer on how to properly setup a towed vehicle. This is opening up anyone who chooses to listen to a whole litany of safety and legal ramifications. Your anecdotal experience, while valid and useful, is NOT a replacement or substitution for the owners manual.

Comfort with risk has been discussed in numerous other threads, and clearly anyone should take what they are told on the internet with a grain of salt, and make their own decisions. However, a direct contradiction to the owners manual specification is reckless at best.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So anything over a 21' yamaha should have a wdh? Yikes!
My 21 is like 3300 plus 1k trailer plus fuel and lunch i bet i am close!
Better take the tower off!

Cody700

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
It's not that you don't need it, it's that you haven't used it in the past, have had acceptable results, and now think you don't need it. Secondly, it's not a reccomendation, it's a mandate. The verbiage is rather clear. Requires means must, not just if you want to, if you feel like it, or if you haven't broken something in the past going without.

SO, YOU do whatever YOU want, but please don't advise others on a public forum to go against the owners manual requirements. You are advising them to NOT adhere to explicit instructions given by a manufacturer on how to properly setup a towed vehicle. This is opening up anyone who chooses to listen to a whole litany of safety and legal ramifications. Your anecdotal experience, while valid and useful, is NOT a replacement or substitution for the owners manual.

Comfort with risk has been discussed in numerous other threads, and clearly anyone should take what they are told on the internet with a grain of salt, and make their own decisions. However, a direct contradiction to the owners manual specification is reckless at best.
If YOU feel it necessary to have a special hitch that does nothing for the truck or the safe towing of the load, then be my guest. If you are pulling a loaded trailer that is not putting any excess strain on the suspension of your truck, a Weight Distributing Hitch makes no difference. Manufacturers have to put data and information like this in their manuals for legal reasons. We live in a very litigious society where people sue for reasons that are often times absurd. I did NOT in any way, shape, or form "advise others on a public forum to go against the owners manual requirements". I very clearly stated that "I don't care what is recommended. I've been towing all my life and I know what I can do." What I do, and how I do it is none of your business, so mind your own business and you can stop the armchair quarterbacking of telling ME that it is a MANDATE. You are clearly delusional, and have control issues if you think that you can tell me, or anyone what to do. It is INSULTING for you to say that "a direct contradiction to the owners manual specification is reckless at best". Who do you think you are anyway? I bet there are MANY things that the owner's manual says that you are supposed to do but you don't. Do you also believe it is against the law to remove the labels from your mattress and pillows?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do NOT need a WDH. I don't care what is recommended.
Yeah, that's uh not how it works. 2Kwik is right. I'll be the first to say that I do not use a WDH on my F150 despite my loaded trailer exceeding 5K lbs, however professing that "you know what you're doing" is not an exact science. I'm not sure why you're being so ornery about it, though. You pointed out yourself that we are in a highly litigious environment, and should something happen (regardless of your towing prowess), a savvy attorney could point to that as a reason to support suing you for negligence.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you also believe it is against the law to remove the labels from your mattress and pillows?
Nope, reading comprehension of the statement "Except by the consumer" prevails on that one.

Bummer dude.....another one added to the ignore list.....and with such a short tenure here too. Good luck sir. I certainly hope your carelessness doesn't come around to bite you in the rear in the future.

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bet this guy is the one driving through thick fog with no headlights on because he relies on the ‘auto’ position of the headlight switch. He is also the teadin Ford developed the trailer backup assist doodad. He also loves his adaptive cruise control so he doesnt need to pay attention and control his vehicle himself. Lane assist, self closing tailgates, and calling a tow truck to change his flat. Everything done for him because he simply never learned to think for himself, to figure it out. He is also the one at the boat ramp everyone is waiting for as he tries to remedy his jackknifed trailer. He is the one pulling an RV with a Ford Escape with strapped on tow mirrors simply because the numbers say its ok. He also calls the cops when his neighbors shrubs are out of spec... etc, etc....

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bet this guy is the one driving through thick fog with no headlights on because he relies on the ‘auto’ position of the headlight switch. He is also the teadin Ford developed the trailer backup assist doodad. He also loves his adaptive cruise control so he doesnt need to pay attention and control his vehicle himself. Lane assist, self closing tailgates, and calling a tow truck to change his flat. Everything done for him because he simply never learned to think for himself, to figure it out. He is also the one at the boat ramp everyone is waiting for as he tries to remedy his jackknifed trailer. He is the one pulling an RV with a Ford Escape with strapped on tow mirrors simply because the numbers say its ok. He also calls the cops when his neighbors shrubs are out of spec... etc, etc....
Quite the opposite. I hate auto headlights. I keep my lane assist turned off because I tend to pay attention and find it rarely does anything for me. I tow well under the limits with the appropriate equipment in place instead of well over them without the appropriate equipment.

I appreciate the insightful rhetoric though, quite entertaining.

I do spend a LOT of time evaluating structural components in industrial machinery, determining appropriate safety factors, and designing critical components where failure poses risk to personal safety.........as a profession. So you know, there's that.

Also.......a note....This is a public forum, and the premise of the thread lends itself to these discussions......Lets try to keep them that way and not make these personal attacks eh?

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quite the opposite. I hate auto headlights. I keep my lane assist turned off because I tend to pay attention and find it rarely does anything for me. I tow well under the limits with the appropriate equipment in place instead of well over them without the appropriate equipment.

I appreciate the insightful rhetoric though, quite entertaining.

I do spend a LOT of time evaluating structural components in industrial machinery, determining appropriate safety factors, and designing critical components where failure poses risk to personal safety.........as a profession. So you know, there's that.

Also.......a note....This is a public forum, and the premise of the thread lends itself to these discussions......Lets try to keep them that way and not make these personal attacks eh?
You sure like to tell people things dont you?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn, this escalated quickly...

Cody700

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Nope, reading comprehension of the statement "Except by the consumer" prevails on that one.

Bummer dude.....another one added to the ignore list.....and with such a short tenure here too. Good luck sir. I certainly hope your carelessness doesn't come around to bite you in the rear in the future.
Good, I don't need your advice. You are the one that arrogantly responded to my comment. Have a nice life.

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good, I don't need your advice. You are the one that arrogantly responded to my comment. Have a nice life.
Exactly!!! If someone gives their advice when it was never solicited; well, we all know what that makes him...!

Cody700

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Yeah, that's uh not how it works. 2Kwik is right. I'll be the first to say that I do not use a WDH on my F150 despite my loaded trailer exceeding 5K lbs, however professing that "you know what you're doing" is not an exact science. I'm not sure why you're being so ornery about it, though. You pointed out yourself that we are in a highly litigious environment, and should something happen (regardless of your towing prowess), a savvy attorney could point to that as a reason to support suing you for negligence.
I'm being "ornery"? I am not the one who arrogantly responded to my comment. Apparently you don't understand what I am saying either. Do you need a manual to tell you what you need to do when loading your truck? You yourself stated that YOU don't use a WDH either, are you feeling guilty because you don't? To all of you who tow and don't know what you are doing, then the manual is for you. A weight distributing hitch does exactly nothing if you don't need it. You need it when you have too little tongue weight, or too much tongue weight. If you have your trailer balanced properly, 10-15% of the weight you are pulling for tongue weight, you do not need a WDH if your suspension is adequate for the tongue weight that you have. If you don't have a suspension adequate for the tongue weight, you don't pull the trailer. Very simple and yet seemingly so difficult for some to understand. I have NEVER lost a trailer, lost control of a trailer, OR put anyone in danger from towing. I have never lost part of a load due to negligence in properly tying down my load either. I also do NOT need a manual to tell me how to safely tow a trailer with the vehicle that I am using to tow. I have logged over a million miles towing, and don't need anyone telling me that I am being reckless to not use a WDH. Have a great day.

why_fly_high

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WE are all adults and can do with our stuff however we see fit. I'm just going to say this, it isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just should be said for less experienced tow vehicle operators. If you do something that is outside the spec in the manual and there is an accident, even if not your fault, the lawyers will figure it out and it will really muddy the water. Example, someone pulls out in front of you. It was their fault but then you are going to court to prove that if you had been within spec you still would not have gotten stopped.

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The ford f150 max tongue weight is 500 lbs. 10 percent of 5000 is 500 last time I checked. So anything over 5000 lbs would be over the max tongue weight and require a WHD. P.S. I am just stirring the pot