• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 242

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mean honestly, shouldn't we be able to buy a boat online and just have it shipped in, in this day and age? Know the price up front, click buy it now, get free shipping and no prep and wait for Alexa to let us know there is a package at the front door....... Clean, simple and transparant.

This one even has a Bimini ready for mods..

BMatavelli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
It is crazy to see that some people paid less than the MSRP for their boats. I called many dealers to check if they had a boat and none did. Asked for the price and they all gave me a similar quote. MRSP+freight+Preps+taxes. Some increased the MRSP and said they were including the aluminium trailer, others charged for the aluminium trailer as well.

I am feeling like I am overpaying about 5k, so I will try to wait a few more months and see if Yamaha can produce more boats or if the demand will reduce.

jetivan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I mean honestly, shouldn't we be able to buy a boat online and just have it shipped in, in this day and age? Know the price up front, click buy it now, get free shipping and no prep and wait for Alexa to let us know there is a package at the front door....... Clean, simple and transparant.

This one even has a Bimini ready for mods..

All that would be fine except that it cuts out the dealers who are critical to Yamaha for service and support, if not sales. For cars there are state laws that prevent direct sales bypassing dealerships as Tesla has run into in places like Texas. I have no idea if the same holds true for boats, but I can imagine that Yamaha isn't ready to toss out the dealerships just yet.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BMatavelli You are making a good call. That is what I am doing, waiting to see where things go in the Winter into early spring. I am looking at possibly upgrading to a 25' AR250. But it is easier for me since I have a 2020 AR210, so I have nothing to lose by waiting and being patient.

Take everything with a grain of salt. I am sure some got some sort of a deal and others did not. Some may be indicating that they got a deal and they really didn't. I wouldn't get worked up. I am not calling anyone out, but it happens on Forums and Boards all the time. Some people won't let it be known that they got took to the cleaners, but still got their boat. I does happen some. I saw two different posts on Facebook group that from the same dealer two friends got 4k off 195's 2021. But wouldn't mention the dealer or location. So who really knows. Call around, do your due diligence. Educate yourself on what you can find here and other sources and you should get a feel for the direction of boat prices and what is really going on.

What I am sure you have realized is that Dealers do not have to give anything to anyone right now and they will still sell every boat that they have on order and that comes in very quickly. Plus let's face it. Salesman make commissions as well and Dealers have expenses. If they have less boats to sell that means people getting paid less (and they need to support themselves and their families) and dealers making less money to pay for their expenses. Most likely this will continue for some time till there is in stock inventory, etc. Sooooo..... If you sit and really think about it, I am not sure how much a business is going to give up when they are already losing sales revenue because of low supply and they have customers ready to buy everything they can get their hands on.

It will come sooner or later to a point where you are comfortable and you get the numbers that you are willing to purchase at.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jetivan It is inevitable and the eco system will migrate in that direction. I can buy a new vehicle online from a ford dealer website, configure it or take inventory and they show up at my door with the vehicle on the flatbed and papers to sign. Done deal and no salesman. The used car market is doing it as well.

My last vehicle I never even spoke with a person, I did it online and a delivery person showed up at the door with vehicle for my signature and vehicle delivery.

Sooner or later it will be direct from Manufacturer, perhaps for a MSRP only and only discounts would happen at dealer. A lot of things are changing and I think we will be seeing the timeline compress for direct to consumer sales. You gotta admit that shit is getting a bit crazy the last couple years.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Noting what @HangOutdoors said, it isn’t about eliminating the dealer, but about streamlining the process, elimination of unnecessary steps and/or simplifying them. The internet significantly changed the sales process in car buying. It used to be you didn’t know much if anything about the car prior to entering the dealer.

The salesperson was trained on the models and could give you a “tour”, highlight features and tell you why their vehicle was better than the competition. Now we research so much on the internet that people don’t shop different models, but shop dealers for best price on the car they already selected (and often don’t test drive before buying). The sales person just takes a check and fills out paper work. For cars I’ve bought in past 8 years I knew more than the salesperson and what I didn’t know they didn’t either. If it weren’t for wanting to test drive I could “mail order” a car.

We and the manufacturer will still need the dealer for service/warranty work and a local point of presence. Tesla is doing okay as is, but they have bumps too and anything major, mechanical or body work seems to put a car out of commission for a period of time that the typical owner would find unacceptable. (Maybe it is okay if you Model S is in the shop, you can drive your Huracan more. ;) )

RajD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It is crazy to see that some people paid less than the MSRP for their boats. I called many dealers to check if they had a boat and none did. Asked for the price and they all gave me a similar quote. MRSP+freight+Preps+taxes. Some increased the MRSP and said they were including the aluminium trailer, others charged for the aluminium trailer as well.

I am feeling like I am overpaying about 5k, so I will try to wait a few more months and see if Yamaha can produce more boats or if the demand will reduce.
I just bought a 2020 242SE from Team Winnebagoland in WI this week. Awesome experience dealing with them and paid under MSRP, used discount to get the 5 year YES warranty. Believe they still have a couple of 24's left in their lot.

BMatavelli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I just bought a 2020 242SE from Team Winnebagoland in WI this week. Awesome experience dealing with them and paid under MSRP, used discount to get the 5 year YES warranty. Believe they still have a couple of 24's left in their lot.
Nice, thanks for letting me know, but I live in Florida, I believe it is a bit far for them to deliver.