• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252se Issues

KnucklDragr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm new to the forum, so this is my first post. I wanted to share my experience so far being a NEW Yamaha Jet Boat owner. I took delivery of a 2021 252SE on February 2nd. Drove almost 200 miles to pick it up from the only dealership in the state that had a boat. After bringing the boat home, it sat in my driveway until it got warm enough to take it out on it's maiden voyage. Skip to February 20th. At the boat ramp at Lake Powell, ready to launch and I fire the starboard engine, works great. Try to fire the port engine and it won't start. I kept trying for about an hour. Checked all the common issues with kill switches, fuel, air, spark. All looked good. Needless to say the day was a bust and the family and I headed back home, another 240 miles or so round trip. The dealership didn't open until the following Tuesday so I called them and told them the story. Once again, towed to the boat to the dealership. It turns out the port engine lost a valve retainer and dropped a valve into the cylinder head. What the...? I thought these motors were solid, never had issues, blah, blah, blah. So Yamaha says they will fix it and are sending a new motor to the dealership. I'm still waiting for my boat and the latest update is that the cylinder block won't ship out until March 29th. They are still making boats right? Why does it take so long to get an engine? I don't get it. I'm a more than a little frustrated having a new boat and can't use it. I read some posts about quality control going downhill with the new 2021 models, but this seems a bit extreme. Anyone else have any issues like this? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Oh here she is the day I dragged her home.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is probably a lack of available parts I waited 2 months for a new engine when my timing chain failed .

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm new to the forum, so this is my first post. I wanted to share my experience so far being a NEW Yamaha Jet Boat owner. I took delivery of a 2021 252SE on February 2nd. Drove almost 200 miles to pick it up from the only dealership in the state that had a boat. After bringing the boat home, it sat in my driveway until it got warm enough to take it out on it's maiden voyage. Skip to February 20th. At the boat ramp at Lake Powell, ready to launch and I fire the starboard engine, works great. Try to fire the port engine and it won't start. I kept trying for about an hour. Checked all the common issues with kill switches, fuel, air, spark. All looked good. Needless to say the day was a bust and the family and I headed back home, another 240 miles or so round trip. The dealership didn't open until the following Tuesday so I called them and told them the story. Once again, towed to the boat to the dealership. It turns out the port engine lost a valve retainer and dropped a valve into the cylinder head. What the...? I thought these motors were solid, never had issues, blah, blah, blah. So Yamaha says they will fix it and are sending a new motor to the dealership. I'm still waiting for my boat and the latest update is that the cylinder block won't ship out until March 29th. They are still making boats right? Why does it take so long to get an engine? I don't get it. I'm a more than a little frustrated having a new boat and can't use it. I read some posts about quality control going downhill with the new 2021 models, but this seems a bit extreme. Anyone else have any issues like this? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Oh here she is the day I dragged her home.
How did it even crank with a loose valve hanging down in the cylinder? Wasn’t it at least making a godawful noise when you crank?
Ive had those little keepers come apart on an over revved car engine before but that definitely sounds like an assembly issue for a brand new boat.

KnucklDragr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Cranked just fine. In fact I got it to run for a short (very short) period of time after messing with the throttle while it was turning over. After that, it threw some engine codes and I couldn't get it to run again. I didn't see the inside of the engine so not sure how much damage was done. This is just what the dealership told me. I was going to swap the fuel pumps around to see if I could get the port engine to run. I thought it was a fuel issue. Guess not.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cranked just fine. In fact I got it to run for a short (very short) period of time after messing with the throttle while it was turning over. After that, it threw some engine codes and I couldn't get it to run again. I didn't see the inside of the engine so not sure how much damage was done. This is just what the dealership told me. I was going to swap the fuel pumps around to see if I could get the port engine to run. I thought it was a fuel issue. Guess not.
That really sucks. Hope that wasn’t your very first time on the water with it.
With my temper I’d have pulled the plug and pushed it in the water.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does Yamaha water test their boats before they leave the factory?

KnucklDragr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That really sucks. Hope that wasn’t your very first time on the water with it.
With my temper I’d have pulled the plug and pushed it in the water.
I haven’t even made it to the boat ramp yet. Hopefully between Yamaha and the dealership they will make it right. I’ll update this thread as I hear more

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven’t even made it to the boat ramp yet. Hopefully between Yamaha and the dealership they will make it right. I’ll update this thread as I hear more
Silly question but did you run the engines at the dealer or do a water test with them?

KnucklDragr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The engines ran fine at the dealership when I did the walk through with the manager. They say they ran the engines with water. I knew I wanted the boat and have driven a 242 before. What could go wrong with a new boat, right? Sadly, I was not correct with my assumption.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Total bummer, sorry to hear it. Hopefully, they get it taken care of soon and get you back out on the water.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That sucks dude... really sorry to read that. I guess, at least they're sending a new engine. End of March is a delay, but considering how many container ships are parked outside of California right now and how congested ports and trucking is, I'd say that's a damn good turnaround. Those motors are assembled and shipped here, so you could've been on a lot longer delay.

I would also contact Yamaha corp and see if they'd be willing to pay for your first month's payment, either in cash or in credit.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 1.8 Yamaha engine is good when put together correctly! I'm sorry you got a bad one. Hopefully that is the only issue with your ownership.

KnucklDragr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
FINALLY....an update. I heard from the dealership that Yamaha was having trouble sourcing a replacement engine which is what has been causing the delay. They told me last week that they were pulling an engine from a production boat and sending it to the dealership. (Sorry to whoever was waiting for that boat, but...). Also, Yamaha would be sending the regional tech supervisor to oversee the install. Turns out that was to happen yesterday and they were taking the boat out today to lake test it. Still haven't heard back today, but I am hopeful I will have my boat very soon.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Well that sucks. But it is the luck of the draw on almost anything. I am glad to hear you are getting traction with Yamaha. Don't stress it too much. I am guessing this summer it will all be a drop in the bucket. Obviously right now you want to flip your shit, but if they make it right, it will all be good in the long run.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't get it, Yamaha has been a highly respected manufacturer of so many things, pianos, motorcycles, ATV.s outboards, boats obviously and from what I keep reading and seeing the quality of the new boats are shameful. I always see replies of all new boats have issues, and I agree, but lately, 2020-2021 it seems Yamaha is so focused on getting product out the door, they just do not care, get it sold, deal with it after the fact. Dropped engine valves, prop shafts snapping in half, electrical issues, screws missing, no connections for the anchor locker drain, tons of water after every outing. Screws falling out of bottom grates. Over spray all over everything.
If I had just dropped $80-90K on a new boat and had some of these "major issues" not sure I could handle it. Pissed wouldn't even come close. Maybe the other manufactures are doing the same, with demand so high, they can sell anything they make, good or bad. If I were in the market for a new boat, I would probably wait 1-2 years when it settles down and the new people that they have hired to fill positions open due to covid have been properly trained. Or buy a used boat that has all the kinks , bugs worked out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, other than this forum, I have never seen where it is acceptable or okay to have a brand new boat leak and take on water like these do with the excuse, all jet boats leak? If you had a new car and had a oil or coolant leak or every time it rained the water drips in past the door seal, would it be okay? Not.

I understand people want a boat now and don't want to miss out on summer, but in general, we are all sending the wrong message by continuing to buy boats with such a lack of quality. Done bitching now. :)

KnucklDragr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I couldn't agree more. You would expect that a new boat would be ready to go with no defects. After you sign the papers, you don't seem to have any options other than warranty repair. I called Yamaha, and they wouldn't take the boat back. They offered to fix it, but I didn't have the options of cancelling the deal. I don't understand either. If this was a car, I would be back at the dealership demanding a new car or more likely demanding my money back. I am not happy about not having my new boat for the last couple of months, but I have to say, they are doing a good job making things right. I heard today the boat is fixed, it was lake tested and the dealership is delivering it to my house on Saturday. Furthermore, Yamaha is throwing in the extended 5 year warranty, first service, and a boat cover for free. Dealership is having the boat detailed today and it should be in my driveway this weekend in time for me to take it out on it's maiden voyage. Wish me luck!