• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 275SD - Update Charts

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'm wondering if I had the Chart Installer software on my laptop with laptop connected directly to the boats USB if it would recognize it. My dock is out of WiFi coverage from my house, so I'd have to try my hotspot. I think this is progress... I just need to get on a plane and head for Florida for the next steps. :cool:

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Not 100% sure yet... I'm at work on my work computer and I don't have an USB drive handy that I can format at the moment. Looking around for one now.
haha, right! Who uses USB drives anymore!

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
So I found this on Navi's website. It sounds like you do have to buy an SD card (at a reduced rate for the Murphy units through the dealer) in order to get the updates. So then I wonder instead of using a USB drive, you have to use an SD to USB reader and thats what you plug into the USB port in the back of the unit and it reads off the updated SD card then.

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I think you can use their software and blank media to start from scratch without buying their card, but you do have to activate a subscription. That's at least have I've read the prompts in their software. I just got home from work, so I'm playing with the software again and various USB sticks.

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
You might be right... I don't know. The only problem is, our system does not take an SD card. I ordered a USB-A (male to male) cord so I can try to connect my laptop with Navionics software directly to the USB (female) on the boat. See if I can activate and update it directly that way.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I updated my non-pod SD card this summer on my 2020 212S - at least for inland lakes it didn't make a F of difference on the maps. I used the Actia version.

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The software does not like any of my USB sticks, and I don't have one of those USB-SD card dealios. I've tried 8, 32, & 128GB USB sticks with eXFAT, NTFS, & FAT32. It doesn't like any of them.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The software does not like any of my USB sticks, and I don't have one of those USB-SD card dealios. I've tried 8, 32, & 128GB USB sticks with eXFAT, NTFS, & FAT32. It doesn't like any of them.
I remember I had issues when I updated my card, it didn't like the high memory card I was trying to use, had to use a 1gb or less.

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I'm wondering/starting to think that this may not be updatable at all via a usb drive and/or an SD card. This may be dealer only accessible or if there is a way to access the head unit's directories when you do plug in a computer directly to head unit. You'd then have to find the folder that the map file is stored and then do a drag and drop replacement of that file. Without a dedicated SD card that they system is always reaching out to for the map file, it would have to be programed that upon start up it sees if there is an external device first, if that external device has a dot-map file on it it will take it and replace what it has internally. This would be good software design, but I'm having doubts these units are that smart. This would be something that Enovation would need to confirm how to do, and then Navi to confirm how to get the darn dot-map file.

Its really too bad Yamaha has switched to these enovation units. Its a step down in terms of the audio from fusion and it provides the same water-down map layers the actia only allowed.

Last edited:

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Navionics was not any help... I wish I could play with it, but not until 12/20. I live in the Chicago suburbs and my boat is in Florida.

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Navionics was not any help... I wish I could play with it, but not until 12/20. I live in the Chicago suburbs and my boat is in Florida.
Which burb? I'm from the city and moved to FL. No more cold weather or heavy taxes for me! ;)

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I live in Geneva. Haha... I wish I could do the same, but it's probably 10 years off. It may happen sooner if Illinois goes further down the toliet. (Sorry to other Illinois folks out there).

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have bad news to report so far. I bought a USB A Male to USB A Male cord and tried to connect my Windows laptop to the boat with console power on or off and new external devices or drive get detected. I can't get the Navionics software to detect any of my USB drives or SD cards. I've tried FAT32, NTFS, and exFAT with no success. I tried various sizes from 220GB to 2GB. No dice!

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I have bad news to report so far. I bought a USB A Male to USB A Male cord and tried to connect my Windows laptop to the boat with console power on or off and new external devices or drive get detected. I can't get the Navionics software to detect any of my USB drives or SD cards. I've tried FAT32, NTFS, and exFAT with no success. I tried various sizes from 220GB to 2GB. No dice!
That’s too bad. It could be such a great system. I cancelled my order due to the dealer playing games and situations like this that is leading me to believe of the use of inferior elements. The whole purpose of a large 12” display with chart plotter is to actually have a functional chart plotter! With a floating helm like that, there is no way to install an additional simrad or garmin cleanly.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
thanks for the update brad. when i get some time i think i am going to call yamaha directly and find out. my dealer is closed for a couple months now for the winter plus its just going to be easier rather than using the dealer as a go between. the usb is there so im sure updates can be done it just a matter of finding out the exact process or procedure from ennovation.

Toni

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
has anyone managed to update their GPS?

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I tried a whole bunch of stuff and then gave up. I figured as the new system matured we'd eventually figure out how it's done.
I've found my maps very accurate so far, so I've had less of a need to update.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have not called ennovation but i uave talked to a marine electronics guy about it and he said he was not familiar with ennovation but on some other brands that just have the usb port in the back, you need to get the navionics sd card and you get an sd to usb adapter, plug it all in and boot up the system.

Toni

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Ok, I will try with the USB adapter and the Navionics app.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Ok please let us know how that works out