• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR190 Underpowered

That is TOO many people for that boat. I know what the sticker says (8 person). My boat says 12 person but I would not plan a water sports day with that many. I take that number to mean the number of people you can boat with without sinking. If you want water sports with that many people you need more horsepower period.

At least that's my opinion.
It still sucked with four people on other days too, just more with 8 that day. LOL. Each to their own. I sold that boat and bought a used Rinker with a 4.3 Merc, and the thing hauls ass, and we can talk while hauling it. No contest, in my opinion. Loving my new boat. The used boat market is crazy right now though, I looked at many boats that were trashed before finding the one I bought. I like the one I bought. :)

I did sell it the Yamaha. Bought a 1996 Rinker with a 4.3 Merc Thunderbolt, no tears or stains and no cracks in the gel coat, I paid a little over Blue Book but I feel I did all right given the market, and I paid cash, so no interest. I did drive to look at a lot of boats that were junk that people were asking lots of money for, so you have to shop and be careful. I tell ya, first time on the water with the Rinker and the boat flew! And we can talk while under way. Lovin it! This boat rips!

Also; I suspect there are many people on this site solely to promote Yamaha boats. Thats jut what I've come to believe about it, I don't have any proof. Yamaha has done a good job of generating hype about these big jet skis.
My 3rd Yamaha am I biased, yes. However I feel it fits my needs better than any other boat for the money. At the end of the day if I never did water sports a tri-toon would be ideal. A surf boat would be great if I didn’t boat on the river in shallow water. I understand your frustration, and glad you found a boat to fit your needs.

It still sucked with four people on other days too, just more with 8 that day. LOL. Each to their own. I sold that boat and bought a used Rinker with a 4.3 Merc, and the thing hauls ass, and we can talk while hauling it. No contest, in my opinion. Loving my new boat. The used boat market is crazy right now though, I looked at many boats that were trashed before finding the one I bought. I like the one I bought. :)
Glad you found the right boat for you. Like you said, to each their own. If top speed is the only concern on your radar, the 190 series from Yamaha isn't for you. Surprised you didn't seek out something with a V8 honestly. Rinker sold that era 19' with a 5.0L 8cyl engine setup. You could also get into their 232 line from the same era (which is wildly popular and found all over last I looked) which holds more people, and was available all the way up to a 7.4L with captains call exhaust. Those would run into the low 60's with the right setup. Either way, the Rinker's are solid boats that are well made and will reward you with years of use if you take care of it.

I owned a '98 Rinker 182BR with the 3.0 for 7 seasons. It was a great boat for us. People always told me that boat was underpowered as well, but didn't seem to be an issue for me, and my guests never complained. We had 6 adults on that boat on a regular basis. Lots of water sports. It was just as loud as my AR190, couldn't have a conversation in the Rinker at speed either.

I can say, without a shred of hesitation, that my Yamaha 190 is a significant upgrade on every single facet as compared to my Rinker. More space, better handling, better styling, easier to own, and the lack of required maintenance is amazing. I really hope you didn't trade the layout that works so well in the 190 for a tight arrangement in the Rinker for a few more mph on the top end. You sound like an experienced boater, so I'm assuming you know what you're looking for and what works for you. I know I wouldn't go back to the old layout for a few mph on the top end.

Soooooo, about that comment regarding people on the forums that are here solely to promote the brand..........well, yea, it's an owners group, and threads with people being disappointed are very few and far between. IMO that is a testament to the overall great value these boats create. Call it confirmation bias, call it enthusiastic owners, or call it shilling, whatever you like. As a group, we're enthused about the boats and like to tell people that. It's kinda the whole premise of the site. It's quite literally why we're here. I feel this shouldn't be a surprise, and at no level be considered a poor trait of the group. In general, you posted some questions, and we started doing what we do; trying to solve them or otherwise help the situation.

Best of luck with the new boat. As much as I love my Yamaha, I'm more enthused to see another boater than I am to see someone abandon the water completely after a poor experience.

My regret is not buying the 195. With the new hull, I don't think the NA 1.8l does the job well enough. I love everything about the boat except it needs at least 20 more horses. Mid 30s top speed with average loading in the heat of the summer isn't acceptable for me I go to Cumberland and we head to 76 falls and I tell the other boats "don't wait for me".

wow! Sucks man! Bring it back to the dealer and have them check it! Yamaha mechanics are pretty good! I'm sorry you're going through this...
I don't know, but I have a 2020 SX190, and my boat rocks man! I mean, I ride it to capacity every time, every weekend, full of beach gear, coolers, adults, kids plus, full weight capacity, and I hit 31-32 mph ( Always and only to weight capacity with all safety protocols in place). The other day, I went out with my wife and son, and we hit 38 mph. The boat is a beast compared to my last one (a sick 2012 Bayliner 175 LOL).
I changed the oil, filter and plugs in the beginning of the season here in NY at 30 hrs, and the boat is still rocking. Installed CobraFins last year as well.
I wish I could do something to add more HP, but besides that, I'm happy with it. Yeah, mpg aren't so good, but that I get for pushing my engine every time!
My next one might be the 25ft with twin high output. Trying to stay away from the superchargers (heard too many horror stories).

my old 2012 SX190(same engine)

Only me, and a ribbon delete. The Ribbon delete will be the most significant and FREE thing you can do to your boat to increase the power :)
WP_20150927_006.jpg

OP was venting. He bought the wrong boat and was frustrated and upset that he made a bad decision. A short time spent researching this site would have revealed the performance capabilities and limitations of a 19’ Yamaha boat and may have saved the OP from making a poor purchasing decision. The little dig regarding this site on his way out wasn’t really necessary but whatever. I’m super happy that he found the right boat for his purposes though and is enjoying boating again.

I’m not familiar with Rinker boats but I believe they’re out of business or was shut down after being swept up by a larger company.

I’m not familiar with Rinker boats but I believe they’re out of business or was shut down after being swept up by a larger company.

Looks like they were bought up by Polaris interestingly enough. I hadn't kept up with them in the last decade or so.

I used to spend a bunch of time at RinkerBoatOwners.com (or something like that). They were (and still are) quality produced boats that rode solidly and had good fit and finish. We really liked ours, and it treated us really well. The one thing I did like a lot that I miss with my Yamaha is the Mercrusier dealer/parts network. If you needed something at 3pm on a Sunday during a holiday weekend, there's a REALLY good chance the nearest boat parts place will have what you need on the shelf, and possibly the nearest marina if it's a common issue. Don't have that with the Yamaha...... arguably don't need it either though. :)

I was Jonesing HARD for a 246BR W2 (wake edition) when I stumbled across an AR230 back around 2008/2009 or so. Got a test ride with the local dealer on his SX230 around the same time. Dropped the Rinker love like a bad habit and have been a Yamaha fan since.

my old 2012 SX190(same engine)

Only me, and a ribbon delete. The Ribbon delete will be the most significant and FREE thing you can do to your boat to increase the power :)
View attachment 157435
Dude, that's moving for a 190! Especially with just a ribbon delete!

I tested mine on the water a few hours ago. Bimini deployed on my 2017 AR190, with the wife and I, the toddler and the dog. Two coolers and a full tank of fuel. Hit 41mph on GPS at 7,650rpm. Could probably get to 44-45 if I put the Bimini away, closed the windshield, and tuned the L13 for speed instead of holeshot.

Dude, that's moving for a 190! Especially with just a ribbon delete!

I tested mine on the water a few hours ago. Bimini deployed on my 2017 AR190, with the wife and I, the toddler and the dog. Two coolers and a full tank of fuel. Hit 41mph on GPS at 7,650rpm. Could probably get to 44-45 if I put the Bimini away, closed the windshield, and tuned the L13 for speed instead of holeshot.
Wait, you are getting 41 mph with your bimini deployed? You really need to take a ride in the new hull. You'd be surprised at how slow it is in comparison. I've touched 40 for a brief moment with the just the wife and I, a half tank of gas, no bimini or tower, and early spring. The wind may have been at my back too. Now during the heat of the summer, with the bimini on boat but in cover, ribbon delete, 900' elevation, cobra fins, and a full tank of gas I'm stuck at 37-38. That seems to be the experience of most people with the new hull. The Californians have it worse and then they go up to altitude and it just gets ugly.

Wait, you are getting 41 mph with your bimini deployed? You really need to take a ride in the new hull. You'd be surprised at how slow it is in comparison. I've touched 40 for a brief moment with the just the wife and I, a half tank of gas, no bimini or tower, and early spring. The wind may have been at my back too. Now during the heat of the summer, with the bimini on boat but in cover, ribbon delete, 900' elevation, cobra fins, and a full tank of gas I'm stuck at 37-38. That seems to be the experience of most people with the new hull. The Californians have it worse and then they go up to altitude and it just gets ugly.

I think its also due to the fact it is bigger and also has bigger gas tank = heavier overall..

Dang Boatest reviewed a 2018 SX190 and said its a 2019. The review is still on their web page. The dealer didn't have any broken-in boats, so I used the boat test review for my information on top speed. Looking back, 43.2 mph at 7400 makes me laugh, or cry I'm not sure which :) Yamaha AR190 (2019-) | BoatTEST I should have paid more attention to pictures since it is obviously a 2018. Anyhow, who would think a few inches here and there would drop the top speed 3-4 mph.

FYI: I sold this boat last summer, still happy with my Rinker. Yesterday, 11/13/2021, I received the Recall notice on the 2021 AR190 Fuel tank/fuel pump

Sounds like it could blow up, make sure you get yours checked out. Sounds similar to how one of my speakers wasn't hooked up, only this is the gas line, not just a copper wire.

Glad I don't have to drive this boat 2 hours each way to the closest Yamaha Dealer to have it inspected.

I was out a few thousand but I still feel I dodged a bullet. I love my little Rinker, My fuel line's all good too.

I still think there are Yamaha employees on this site pushing the product.

I'll forward the purchaser info to Yamaha, they can tell the people I sold the boat to about it, I don't have the heart. They were so nice, and wanted a Yamaha so bad.

I'll forward the purchaser info to Yamaha, they can tell the people I sold the boat to about it, I don't have the heart. They were so nice, and wanted a Yamaha so bad.

I don't really agree with you. Something that could cause serious injury or worse, I would inform the owners directly first as soon as possible if you still have their contact information, its the right thing to do.

Last edited:
FYI: I sold this boat last summer, still happy with my Rinker. Yesterday, 11/13/2021, I received the Recall notice on the 2021 AR190 Fuel tank/fuel pump

Sounds like it could blow up, make sure you get yours checked out. Sounds similar to how one of my speakers wasn't hooked up, only this is the gas line, not just a copper wire.

Glad I don't have to drive this boat 2 hours each way to the closest Yamaha Dealer to have it inspected.

I was out a few thousand but I still feel I dodged a bullet. I love my little Rinker, My fuel line's all good too.

I still think there are Yamaha employees on this site pushing the product.
I would have to disagree with your statement, I just don’t see it. No need for them to do this, purely based on their sales numbers alone. I’m sorry you had a bad experience however I think you had unrealistic expectations buying a 190 to begin with. Coming from someone who has owned a SX190, AR195, and 212S. Keep in mind if I boated on deep water all the time or in salt water a Yamaha would not be my 1st choice.

Last edited:
I don't really agree with you. Something that could cause serious injury or worse, I would inform the owners directly first as soon as possible if you still have their contact information, its the right thing to do.
Yeah you're probably right. Here in MN, in November, I expect the boat to be put for the winter. But I want to make sure they get the info, and I don't know for certain that they are still in MN. Thank you for the advice. I will call them right now. That is the right thing to do.

Yeah you're probably right. Here in MN, in November, I expect the boat to be put for the winter. But I want to make sure they get the info, and I don't know for certain that they are still in MN. Thank you for the advice. I will call them right now. That is the right thing to do.

Good Call..... I am sure they will appreciate it. I know I would.

For anyone that has taken a fuel pump out of one of these tanks, the terms used in the recall were something like "dislodged" in other words, there is a chance it may not have been fastened in correctly. Yes a spill is possible and in a very rare case fumes and fire are possible. But leading with "sounds like it could blow up" is being just a tad bit dramatic.

This is the main reason that there are probably no parts involved in the recall and most of them will go in and out with just an inspection. In other words, they square up the pump and be sure it's tightened down.

Back