• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR190 Underpowered

I really doubt the 195 would help in the corners. Regardless I don't want the supercharger. I'm looking for reliable, I keep it on a lift in my back yard, and I'm busy. I just wanted to buy something that would be reliable and do what it was supposed to do for the next 20-30 years.

Stepping up might be an option, but there are a lot of options for 60,000 just there are for 40,000.

I got better performance out of the boat I sold (1983 Rinker) with a bolt on monster tower, than I do with this new one. I just sold the old one because I was sick of gapping the points every spring. And changing the bellows every so often, outdrive gear lube etc... The simplicity and the low maintenance of this boat is what sold me on it. I thought I could deal with the step down in power, or I thought it wouldn't be that bad.

I think a 10-20k 10-20 year old stern drive with electronic ignition might be in my future.

I might jsut keep this Yamaha and live with the compromise too, but it irks me every time I drive the boat.

Best of luck to all of you. I don't think I can bring much more to the conversation.

Simon

Hi Simon, I’m sorry you don’t like your boat. It’s obvious your boat falls way short of what you need and want. You really hate your boat and there is nothing wrong with that at all. It’s your money and your boat. I would suggest to sell it today. You may get most of not all of your money back now. Then get something, when it’s available, that will definitely meet your expectations whether it’s a bigger Yamaha or something else. Life is way to short to own something you have a deep hatred for especially a boat! You will probably never like your boat. Sell it now during this insane boat market, wait it out, and get a boat you love. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, Simon.

Just post it for sale - it will be sold in hours I would imagine and probably close to what you have in it. I would be shocked if you didn't get almost full MSRP.

Boggles my mind some times - you bought a new 2021 AR 190 - single engine - 8 person capacity - and you fill it over capacity (7 teenagers and 2 adults - last time I checked 7+2 = 9) and then you hooked up one of the largest towables you can have (big mable) that has the most amount of drag... (let me guess you were towing it from the tower point as well and it was probably underinflated?) and you don't understand why it was under powered?

These boats literally jump out of the hole - sounds like you have something sucked up in it causing cavitation/hole shot issues. Also, sounds like you have zero patience with wanting to have the dealer take a look. I have an AR250 I had it full on Friday night - 12 adults - sunset cruise - half a tank of gas and it crushed it - jumped out of the hole and was running WOT 42-43 - that is freakin impressive if you ask me.

You will not be out $10K - these boats are impossible to find -just sell it outright - and then go buy yourself an awesome 1983 Rinker with a 3L Merc and an I/O drive - then come back and post pictures so we can all drool over it. Best of luck in your future boating endeavors.
I agree Lakeside, it will sell fast. The resale on these was another huge plus! :). The tube was overinflated, not under. I'm in a better mood today. It was heavy, you're right about that too. And I was towing off the tower. I like to do figure eights, creating a "shark tank" of rogue waves at the convergence. After a few passes you can get some monsters, swing em out over that and they fly. Thats why you need the Big Mable, because they have half a chance of landing and going having another pass. So yeah, I ask a lot. No doubt. Now I can do this, with a wider figure eight, with two on the tube and three in the boat. Its still not the way I'd want it, but its passable. It was disappointing to not be able to get them out of the wake, even as overloaded as it was.

At the end of the day its an investment in fun, if it doesn't put a smile on your face, whats the return? An investment that doesn't make you smile should make you money. With tax, license and dealer fees I'm down 2-3 already. I do hope to get close to MSRP, I probably won't be too bad off. Finger crossed.

I got no real complaints with River Valley, they were nice and more than fair with me. They have been selling out of these boats before putting any in the water. I have to drive two hours to get there too. It is the closes Yamaha dealer. Nobody talked to me about a water delivery.

I don't think anything on this boat is busted, or working wrong. I just should have bought a different boat.

A thin layer of kilmat reduces resonance noise, thats how it makes things quieter. I did coat my engine box with Kilmat and adhered egg crate to that too, its done right, and it did make it quite a bit quieter. We cruise pretty nice with it.

My Rinker was nice LOL. It had a newer interior, red white and blue, the gel coat was still nice too. It was well maintained. And it was the 3.7 MERC 470 (170hp), its a huge closed coolant system industrial 4 cylinder block boat motor, not the MERC 3.0, which is also common but I have never owned. The 3.7 was torquey and the boat was light. It would've whipped those kids. I wish I still had it today. I liked the sound of that engine better too. Oh well. I'm not trying to make anybody drool. I just wish someone had told me to go buy stern drive boat. So I'm trying to help the next guy.

Life's a peach, sometimes you gotta deal with the pit.

Happy sails everybody. Enjoy your boats. Hell, maybe I'll keep the Yamaha. haha

I put some pictures of the Rinker I sold. It was 40 years old. I don't expect anyone to drool on it, unless they're passed out.

Attachments

• Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 58
  • Boat4.jpg
    Boat4.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 56
  • Boat5.jpg
    Boat5.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi Simon, I’m sorry you don’t like your boat. It’s obvious your boat falls way short of what you need and want. You really hate your boat and there is nothing wrong with that at all. It’s your money and your boat. I would suggest to sell it today. You may get most of not all of your money back now. Then get something, when it’s available, that will definitely meet your expectations whether it’s a bigger Yamaha or something else. Life is way to short to own something you have a deep hatred for especially a boat! You will probably never like your boat. Sell it now during this insane boat market, wait it out, and get a boat you love. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, Simon.
Yeah, that's where I'm at. No reason wasting time. Thanks for the reasonable conversation Big Waves! Best of luck!

Thanks for trying to help me.
I'm fairly certain everything is fine on my boat.
I did fill the oil to the top dot but no more.
Tomorrow I'll suck a little out, but like I said, boat has ran like this since day one.

I am only pissing about this boat on here because I read a lot on this forum and it helped me to decide to buy a Yamaha Jet Boat.

I just really wish I had paid more attention to the negatives and not gotten caught up in all the workarounds and compromise talk.

Having had years of experience driving propeller boats, towing skiers, wake boards, tubes...., I just really feel I made a huge mistake purchasing this jet boat. It just doesn't have any torque at all. I wanted someone else trying to make their decision to hear my feelings.
My SX190 (same engine) has decent torque, with 3 adults and a 10 yr old plus 900lbs of ballast and a full tank, it still pulls me out of the water to wake surf... i'm sorry you feel the way you do.

I got 25k cash for you.

I didn’t do a ton of research before we got our boat. But I did see several people talk about the limits on the single engine jets.
We are pretty happy with the performance of our 242.
We do get a harmonic vibration in the tower as we get up to speed. I’m not sure if that can be eliminated. I’m hoping it will go away once we get the Bimini.
My oil level does seem just above the max. I might try pulling some out.
My brother currently has a deposit on a 2021 AR or SX 190.

I didn’t do a ton of research before we got our boat. But I did see several people talk about the limits on the single engine jets.
We are pretty happy with the performance of our 242.
We do get a harmonic vibration in the tower as we get up to speed. I’m not sure if that can be eliminated. I’m hoping it will go away once we get the Bimini.
My oil level does seem just above the max. I might try pulling some out.
My brother currently has a deposit on a 2021 AR or SX 190.

I did pull some oil out today. I was at the top dot. Now I'm at the low dot. There was no oil on my air filter or anything like that. I did check. We're gonna take the boat out tonight and see if it helped any.

Put it a bit higher than low. Midway between low and half way

look closely in the intake grate for any and I do mean ANY weeds string or other foreign matter in there. that is all it takes to do what you are reporting.

2019 AR190 owner here chiming in (same hull, engine, pump as the OP). I’m noticing that nobody with the same boat has posted in this thread. The guys with the dual engines, the older skinnier 19’ hull, or the supercharged AR192/195 would not understand how underpowered these boats actually are without experiencing it first hand. I’m confident the dealer will find nothing wrong with the OP’s boat, his performance sounds identical to mine. It takes 6,000 RPM for my boat to cruise on plane (19mph) with one person on board and half a tank of gas, at sea-level in calm seas. I have 140 hours on ours and the performance has remained the same since new. It’s not an oil level issue, cavitation issue, or pump issue. It’s a very wide boat relative to its length on a hull with a deep-v coupled with a little jet ski motor that has no torque. The recipe is for a massively underpowered boat and that’s the way it is.

OP, this boat doesn’t sound like it’s going to work for you and your needs. Don’t trade it back in to the dealer, sell it private party. I don’t think you’ll lose hardly any money with the current state of the used boat market, especially in early summer. This has got to be the best time in history to sell a used boat.

By the way, I love my AR190, it does so many things so well and it fits our needs nicely. You just have to accept that it’s massively underpowered.

Last edited:
I agree, the boat is underpowered, loud, weak turns, marginal mpg, and sprays tubers. It's also easy to maintain and has great stern seating.

If I wanted to use it pulling tubes all day, I would probably sell. My 18' carbed 3.0 searay was better for that. But I love the stern seating and ease of maintaining. Getting my 70lb dog in and out of the water via the stern is much easier than previous boats. So for my current use it's good, but if I ever get a crop of grandchildren, I'm going to want another boat.

The MR1 engines were the ones that were sensitive to oil levels. Not really a thing on the 1.8 engines AFAIK or remember.

High 30’s is probably about right with the loads he’s running or even if a light crew and one person gets in the bow it will certainly scrub a few mph. The top speed on the 190’s is low 40’s and there have been others on here who can’t get beyond high 30’s.

You would know if it’s cavitation. It feels like a slipping clutch almost or like spinning tires in mud. Not saying nothing is wrong but to be honest sounds about right. These are loud boats, they do vibrate & resonate, and the singles struggle bad with tubes, especially a non-supercharged with a huge tube. You have to go WOT and wiiiiide turns with a single while pulling a tube or it will bog. The newer hull is heavier than the previous hull and the 190 was also kind of a dog on the previous hull so it doesn’t surprise me the newer and heavier one is even more sensitive to speed and loads. It is only 2” wider than the previous hull but that likely does impact performance a little as more hull in water typically means more drag.

Sorry the OP had to come to this realization. Yes a water test would have been ideal and a must IMO but I also understand sometimes it’s hard to do these with COVID stuff going on back then. As mentioned I wouldn’t trade at this time if you can and would sell private party to take advantage of the hot sellers market.

Last edited:
2019 AR190 owner here chiming in (same hull, engine, pump as the OP). I’m noticing that nobody with the same boat has posted in this thread. The guys with the dual engines, the older skinnier 19’ hull, or the supercharged AR192/195 would not understand how underpowered these boats actually are without experiencing it first hand. I’m confident the dealer will find nothing wrong with the OP’s boat, his performance sounds identical to mine. It takes 6,000 RPM for my boat to cruise on plane (19mph) with one person on board and half a tank of gas, at sea-level in calm seas. I have 140 hours on ours and the performance has remained the same since new. It’s not an oil level issue, cavitation issue, or pump issue. It’s a very wide boat relative to its length on a hull with a deep-v coupled with a little jet ski motor that has no torque. The recipe is for a massively underpowered boat and that’s the way is.

OP, this boat doesn’t sound like it’s going to work for you and your needs. Don’t trade it back in to the dealer, sell it private party. I don’t think you’ll lose hardly any money with the current state of the used boat market, especially in early summer. This has got to be the best time in history to sell a used boat.

By the way, I love my AR190, it does so many things so well and it fits our needs nicely. You just have to accept that it’s massively underpowered.

Actually I think I was the first to reply with the same boat but mine is a 2020. No point getting defensive about my boat. The AR190 does what I want it to do but falls way short for Simon. Simon has a deep, seething, hatred for his boat. He should sell it in this crazy market before the supply chains catch up and things return to normal. Then buy a big, comfortable, powerfulI boat that will do it all. I bought this little boat to supplement my boating life for just me and my wife. I like to putter around the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay with this fun, little, boat. It does that remarkably well. Much different perspective than my other boat.

2021 AR 190 here and I love my boat. I pull a Big Mable with three teens in it and three to four people on the boat and can still toss them off when I decide they need to get wet. My oil is on the higher end of the stick and I can still reach just about 40mph. We wakeboard with no problems and I do not have cavitation issues. Not sure what is going on with your boat but your experience is much different than mine.

Sorry you are disappointed but you should not have a problem getting rid of your boat for pretty close to what you paid for it. Good Luck!

I'd probably sell it for 33 cash. I contacted the dealer today, that's an optimistic projection of what I might be able to pocket having them do it on consignment taking 10%. They have none to sell and are half way through the 2022 boats they can expect.

With the initial tax, title, dealer fees and downpayment and the 10% on the backend I can probably expect to be down about 5-7k total, if I let them handle it for me. Which sucks.

Maybe I'll just keep it. I'm not sure I care that much anyways. So what if I can't be the tubing guy anymore? We only do that once in a while anyways. It pulls wakeboards and skies just fine. Its sitting behind a lake house I'm rebuilding and living in. I might even sell this place when I'm done. Its kinda what I do. The boat looks good at the dock. I could sell the house with the dock and the boat.

List it on here and you will sell it for what you paid in a week or two, you don't need to take the loss.

I don't have a seething hatred for this boat. I was pretty disappointed the day I wrote the initial post. I was disappointed in how it puled the tube, filled to weight capacity, and tow capacity. I still am. I really did have one speaker that wasn't even plugged in and a cup holder that just floats in the hole and the cockpit drain that drips into the engine compartment.

I also bought the boat, due to the low and easy maintenance, the beautiful swim deck, the seating, and I have the white and blue one, and I think it is beautiful. I understood buying the boat, that would be a little underpowered. I have custom reg numbers, dock lines, and fenders with the same color blue. Its gorgeous, especially on the lift next to my dock, makes my lakefront look nicer. There are lots of things I love about this boat. I still wish it had better power.

I didn't know how underpowered the boat would be, but I knew what my priorities were when I was shopping for the boat we'd keep at our house. I did not want to take a 15-20k shot at a used 20 year old boat. I did not want a 3-5k shot at a used 40 year old boat. I do not want payments on a brand new 100,000+ dollar boat. I wanted something I could tow behind my Highlander with ease. I wanted something that was so reliable my wife felt like she could take it out without me along. This Yamaha is all of that.

I am really surprised at all of the comments this thread garnered. I now see the appeal of being an internet troll. So much attention. I kind of wish I hadn't of gotten on here and thrown a fit a few days ago with the original post. I apologize if my negativity upset any of you, most people were constructive, there were a few posts that were personal attacks on me. I hope you all find your happiness, I wasn't looking for sympathy, or trying to insult you, I was just looking for an outlet to vent my frustration that day, and this was here. So thats that.

For anyone who is still interested, I'm gonna get my big boy pants on, suck it up, appreciate the value in all the reasons I wanted the boat, get over the fact that I'm not gonna jump it outta the water with a tube behind, and we're gonna keep it. I'm gonna live with my decision. Time is valuable too, and we have fun with this boat. At least for this season. It pulls skis and wakeboards very well, its beautiful, its relatively cheap. Its not even that loud anymore, now that I filled the engine compartment with kilmat and egg crate, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I like the Bahama videos too. I don't think I'd attempt a crossing with this boat myself. I live in MN, I'll never trailer this boat to Florida or put it in saltwater. We do love those waters though, I've been setting my sights on sailing through my winters there, scuba diving for gold.

I've decided to filter the email notifications from this thread to the trash can in my email account. Hopefully I can put this out of my mind and get with the rest of my life. Thank you to everybody.

Peace!

I don't have a seething hatred for this boat. I was pretty disappointed the day I wrote the initial post. I was disappointed in how it puled the tube, filled to weight capacity, and tow capacity. I still am. I really did have one speaker that wasn't even plugged in and a cup holder that just floats in the hole and the cockpit drain that drips into the engine compartment.

I also bought the boat, due to the low and easy maintenance, the beautiful swim deck, the seating, and I have the white and blue one, and I think it is beautiful. I understood buying the boat, that would be a little underpowered. I have custom reg numbers, dock lines, and fenders with the same color blue. Its gorgeous, especially on the lift next to my dock, makes my lakefront look nicer. There are lots of things I love about this boat. I still wish it had better power.

I didn't know how underpowered the boat would be, but I knew what my priorities were when I was shopping for the boat we'd keep at our house. I did not want to take a 15-20k shot at a used 20 year old boat. I did not want a 3-5k shot at a used 40 year old boat. I do not want payments on a brand new 100,000+ dollar boat. I wanted something I could tow behind my Highlander with ease. I wanted something that was so reliable my wife felt like she could take it out without me along. This Yamaha is all of that.

I am really surprised at all of the comments this thread garnered. I now see the appeal of being an internet troll. So much attention. I kind of wish I hadn't of gotten on here and thrown a fit a few days ago with the original post. I apologize if my negativity upset any of you, most people were constructive, there were a few posts that were personal attacks on me. I hope you all find your happiness, I wasn't looking for sympathy, or trying to insult you, I was just looking for an outlet to vent my frustration that day, and this was here. So thats that.

For anyone who is still interested, I'm gonna get my big boy pants on, suck it up, appreciate the value in all the reasons I wanted the boat, get over the fact that I'm not gonna jump it outta the water with a tube behind, and we're gonna keep it. I'm gonna live with my decision. Time is valuable too, and we have fun with this boat. At least for this season. It pulls skis and wakeboards very well, its beautiful, its relatively cheap. Its not even that loud anymore, now that I filled the engine compartment with kilmat and egg crate, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I like the Bahama videos too. I don't think I'd attempt a crossing with this boat myself. I live in MN, I'll never trailer this boat to Florida or put it in saltwater. We do love those waters though, I've been setting my sights on sailing through my winters there, scuba diving for gold.

I've decided to filter the email notifications from this thread to the trash can in my email account. Hopefully I can put this out of my mind and get with the rest of my life. Thank you to everybody.

Peace!
Can you start a thread on your soundproofing. Others have done so, but not on this exact boat. Thanks

@bruue1 good on you. It is hard to differentiate a new poster with actual frustrations vs. a troll just trying to stir it up. The blazing first post raised some flags - it is what it is. This is actually a very welcoming place - so lets forgive and forget. A lot to learn here as well - stay awhile and see.

@bruue1 good on you. It is hard to differentiate a new poster with actual frustrations vs. a troll just trying to stir it up. The blazing first post raised some flags - it is what it is. This is actually a very welcoming place - so lets forgive and forget. A lot to learn here as well - stay awhile and see.
Thanks Lakeside. I appreciate it. I've come to believe that most of the people on here are genuine, but I would not be surprised to find a Yamaha rep lurking about too. LOL. Doesn't bother me any. I am sorry if I hurt anybody, I realize people take a lot of pride in their possessions and I did not mean to imply someone else was in error for their opinions or purchases.

I did post the boat for sale today, just on craigslist. Asking $34,999. Had a buyer who is already fully financed within two hours. He has been looking for one and there are none to be had. He's coming to look at the boat Friday. I told hime everything positive and negative I had to say about the boat. He says he's got a young family and they've never owned a boat before. He would love to have my boat, it will be perfect for them. If Friday goes well, we'll go to his credit union to do the deal. There are two people lined up behind him too.

Tax, title, license, loan origination, I was in about 39, but whatever. I'm smiling. Dude's gonna like his boat. And I lost that money last year, its ancient history.

I did contact the guy I sold my Rinker to, asked if I could buy it back. He says his whole family is in love with it, he's not gonna give it back to me.

I have seen a couple fuel injected electric ignition v6 and v8 19 foot 1800 pound open bows that look pretty for around 10k, that's probably what I'll try next. I'll probably get a Mercruiser over a Volvo. I have more faith in the Merc Outdrives and Engines. Just a little stern drive thing I can bolt a monster tower to.

Alls well that ends well. In the end the Yamaha is a nice boat, just not suited for what I wanted. I live on the beach, I don't need the swim deck or the capacity, what i really want is the power.

Back