• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Boating Season - When will it start?

When do you expect to launch your 2021 boating season?

• Already on the water!

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • In March

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • In April

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • In May

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • June or later

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
April and part of May will be the only time I get to do some fishing alone and peaceful. After that it is all about watersports and I become the chauffer till the fall :)

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m guessing late April early May for me.

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Reality for us starts around mid-April, actuality begins in May when the water temperature is more acceptable.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just need the weather to look somewhat decent coming up so I can switch the boat covers and start doing some modifications and such. Could still snow for a bit here.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
April 11 is our record start date, set last year. Also the earliest we've ever been in the water...
Utah Lake - Air Temp 58° - Water Temp 56°
View attachment 142992
View attachment 142993
I'm not sure I'm going to have the same level of ambition this year or not... ask me in a month.
(Wetsuit is on its way)
This is exactly why I need to move. Two years ago the water temperature was 58 degrees on Lake Geneva in WI, on Memorial Day weekend!

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
This is exactly why I need to move. Two years ago the water temperature was 58 degrees on Lake Geneva in WI, on Memorial Day weekend!
Ha. That's insane, for down there. How deep is lake geneva?? That's holding on to cold temp way too long.

Last year I was up in voyageurs national park, water temp on father's day was 56. The plus side was I could keep growlers of beer submerged at the camp site.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Up here in the great white north we typically boat May - October, but can get out in April if we get an early spring, but we also sometimes get snow in April. We've been out many times wearing sweaters in cool weather while moving, but once floating in the sun the sweaters can come off and it's nice and crisp basking in the sun.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ha. That's insane, for down there. How deep is lake geneva?? That's holding on to cold temp way too long.

Last year I was up in voyageurs national park, water temp on father's day was 56. The plus side was I could keep growlers of beer submerged at the camp site.
Yeah it was unusually cold, however it is around 200 feet deep.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Patiently waiting for boating season to begin? Or are you one of the lucky few that enjoys year-round boating?
I live in California and got my boat in January. I plan on breaking it in next week. Still a bit chilly here, but time to man up and get wet.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I planning on de-winterizing next weekend or the following. It will still be chilly but my family and I can do some fishing and cruising. If the boat was ready now we would go for a cruise today, its a nice day in N. Georgia 75°

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
April 11 is our record start date, set last year. Also the earliest we've ever been in the water...
Utah Lake - Air Temp 58° - Water Temp 56°
View attachment 142992
View attachment 142993
I'm not sure I'm going to have the same level of ambition this year or not... ask me in a month.
(Wetsuit is on its way)
I'm in the market for a new full length, so I can extend my season..if you don't mind what did you go for?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in the market for a new full length, so I can extend my season..if you don't mind what did you go for?
I was able to expand my dealership with Slingshot to include their sister company, Ride Engine. They have a line of wetsuits that are very nice.

The unfortunate thing is they're nearly all out of stock... My rep has no real hint as to when they'll be back in inventory but not to expect them before April. If it's listed on their site, I should be able to get it. It's slim pickings though. I was able to pick up the last size large Silo 4/3mm.

I hope it fits me... I'm borderline XL. I could stand to loose 15lbs, maybe it'll be the motivation.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just to be clear, as soon as I take delivery boating season starts. In my garage of course, lol. :winkingthumbsup"

pres2028

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
This is probably a complete newbie boater question, but: what are the downsides in starting the season early? I'm in Maryland so water temps will be pretty cold until at least May. But say we have a span of 55/60 degree days in a row with no freezing temps on the horizon, say late March. If I'm just fishing or enjoying the water by myself, no water sports til it warms up, what would be the concern with starting the season early? I'm sure there are some unintended consequences I'm not thinking of!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@pres2028 No issues starting early. I will be out as soon as the water clears of ice and temps won't be freezing at night. Going to hit some steelhead and salmon in the St. Clair River in probably 4 weeks or so give or take. Obviously the biggest concern is going out too early and you have water that freezes in your boat somewhere. I personally won't head out till another freeze at night won't happen. Now, if I could store my boat in a heated area, I wouldn't be as concerned if temps dropped at night.

pres2028

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
@pres2028 No issues starting early. I will be out as soon as the water clears of ice and temps won't be freezing at night. Going to hit some steelhead and salmon in the St. Clair River in probably 4 weeks or so give or take. Obviously the biggest concern is going out too early and you have water that freezes in your boat somewhere. I personally won't head out till another freeze at night won't happen. Now, if I could store my boat in a heated area, I wouldn't be as concerned if temps dropped at night.
Makes sense. I’m very likely to be out end of March/early April looking for white perch. (My son and I were fishing well into December from the pier, we’re ok with the cold.) Re: storage, still trying to figure it out but so far no heated options. It’s down to driveway (wife is not a fan) vs. large local storage unit vs. renting some space from a neighbor. Not many great marina options near me unfortunately and certainly not heated.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Makes sense. I’m very likely to be out end of March/early April looking for white perch. (My son and I were fishing well into December from the pier, we’re ok with the cold.) Re: storage, still trying to figure it out but so far no heated options. It’s down to driveway (wife is not a fan) vs. large local storage unit vs. renting some space from a neighbor. Not many great marina options near me unfortunately and certainly not heated.
I remember @swatski posting in the fall that he had a portable plug in heater in his engine bay...maybe something to think about during the freezing evenings. I'm with ya..anything to extend the season..

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I work for a college and we're off for spring break soon. Hoping for some sunshine and calm winds in two weeks to go cruising and burn off some of that 6 month old gas, (mix of treated and no ethanol, but a full tank). We won't swim until May, but might jump in and jump right back out in April.