• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 275SD engine died - thoughts?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could somebody or maybe @Yamaha describe how bad alignment/harmonics (or whatever) could cause the engine damage after the driveshaft was replaced?
Propeller (impeller) shaft in these boats is basically an extension of the crankshaft, no gear box like o/b, or gear reduction like MR1s; if shaft vibrations are bad enough (beyond what the damper can absorb?) it seems to destroy those motors. It's strange but it happens.
In this regard, there have been documented examples of failed main pump bearings leading to blown 1.8s.

--

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I struggle to understand the logic of some of the "hire a lawyer" posts here.

In this case, with the scenario given in this thread, how would you prove the first attempted repair - unauthorized by the manufacturer - was not causatively linked to the subsequent engine damage/failure? - in front of your Magnum Moss judge.

--
Like I said I wouldn’t think a lawyer would be worth it here.

I can see them not covering the $2k in driveshaft repairs because he didn’t follow their procedures.

But in turn to not cover the engine they would probably (not a lawyer) have to argue his actions caused the failure. And I don’t see how him having a certified Yamaha dealer using OEM parts perform the driveshaft repair caused the engine damage.

Plus if vibration (not a rope wrapped around the impeller) caused the engine damage it likely occurred before the shaft broke.

And considering other boats have had the same issue I find in favor of @BGN123. (This thread really needs a poll)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
But in turn to not cover the engine they would probably (not a lawyer) have to argue his actions caused the failure. And I don’t see how him having a certified Yamaha dealer using OEM parts perform the driveshaft repair caused the engine damage.
This is kind of the sticking point for me. If Yamaha is saying the poor repair caused the damage, and the repair was performed by a manufacturer certified technician using OEM parts, then perhaps the dealer is at fault? Seems it would behoove the dealer and the mothership to work together to find some sort of solution.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...behoove the dealer and the mothership to work together to find some sort of solution.
That might work. Not a sure thing, and would require patience.

--

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Finally got my boat back this week. Finally got through to someone at Yamaha who seems to have helped accelerate the parts that were still missing.

all in the repair + everything was about 23k. Yamaha has claimed the impeller was bent and I injested something. The people who worked on the boat saw no such thing. There appears to be no way to reconcile this.

At least I have my boat back.

As soon as my kids are older I will get something with outboards. And won’t buy a Yamaha again. Very unpleasant experience all around.

And hope nothing else breaks! I was off the water for 6 months on a boat with 50 hours.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got my boat back this week. Finally got through to someone at Yamaha who seems to have helped accelerate the parts that were still missing.

all in the repair + everything was about 23k. Yamaha has claimed the impeller was bent and I injested something. The people who worked on the boat saw no such thing. There appears to be no way to reconcile this.

At least I have my boat back.

As soon as my kids are older I will get something with outboards. And won’t buy a Yamaha again. Very unpleasant experience all around.

And hope nothing else breaks! I was off the water for 6 months on a boat with 50 hours.
Sorry you had to go through this. Glad your back on the water and will get to enjoy some of the summer with the boat!