• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'22 255Xd power steering sucks

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So 2nd time out and all seemed good. Boat launched well , the Drive system was nice around the docks. After picking up my wife we headed out from the no wake zone. I got on it a little then a bit more 56mph. not too bad. Well we headed to the beach spot and even moved around a few times to a better spot as others left. Well heading back we tried out the ballast and booster tab but did not surf it yet. As I was slowing down to drain the the ballast a warning popped up ( Stop steering contact dealer). I silenced the fault and finished the drain. I then found the steering system lost it's home. Had to keep the wheel cranked hard to the left and only give power to the starboard motor to be able to drive straight . I did this for a bit then found the steering over ride. It did help but the longer we drove the more off center it got. Also the drive paddles no longer work.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So a bit of a better explanation. Has any one else had issues with there 255xd or other D models power steering? My 2022 4hr old 255xd is going into the shop right now for the power steering. When I turn full lock to the right. I can see the rudder and jet nozzle is also hard to the right. When I inspect the power steering hydraulic actuator it is at full travel. BUT when I turn left it is at 3/4 travel. The steerig rate is also not prepositional to diver input. And the drive paddles are not working too.

kolb_jk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So a bit of a better explanation. Has any one else had issues with there 255xd or other D models power steering? My 2022 4hr old 255xd is going into the shop right now for the power steering. When I turn full lock to the right. I can see the rudder and jet nozzle is also hard to the right. When I inspect the power steering hydraulic actuator it is at full travel. BUT when I turn left it is at 3/4 travel. The steerig rate is also not prepositional to diver input. And the drive paddles are not working too.
So 2nd time out and all seemed good. Boat launched well , the Drive system was nice around the docks. After picking up my wife we headed out from the no wake zone. I got on it a little then a bit more 56mph. not too bad. Well we headed to the beach spot and even moved around a few times to a better spot as others left. Well heading back we tried out the ballast and booster tab but did not surf it yet. As I was slowing down to drain the the ballast a warning popped up ( Stop steering contact dealer). I silenced the fault and finished the drain. I then found the steering system lost it's home. Had to keep the wheel cranked hard to the left and only give power to the starboard motor to be able to drive straight . I did this for a bit then found the steering over ride. It did help but the longer we drove the more off center it got. Also the drive paddles no longer work.
I didn't have that problem at all. I did make sure while I was filling/draining the ballasts I didn't move. The manual said its a slower process to not burn anything out, so I don't know if that's the issue. No problems with the X drive, it's a game changer.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Ok so I found lose wires on the house ground buss bar. I checked all of the fuses. But they found one under the sound insulation. It was a 60A. We think the lose ground made the 60a pop. Now the drive paddles works but they still need to get the steerig alignment/ calibration of the hydraulic actuator.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I called my service tech. He said this was one of the first things Yamaha had them do. So now we have a new sensor on the ram. new steering wheel helm sensor. new pump because started leaking from the pressure relief knob

cwax208

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I called my service tech. He said this was one of the first things Yamaha had them do. So now we have a new sensor on the ram. new steering wheel helm sensor. new pump because started leaking from the pressure relief knob
Did this fix your steering? I've got a '22 255XD that's having the same issue - dealer reset everything but it happened again the day after I got it back.

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Aloha guys, I was out on the open oven in Maui today with my 2021 XD when all of the sudden I lost my steering, no lights or warnings, nothing wrong with the wheel either. I made it back to shore steering with the dual engine, we waited by dock entry and cleared everyone so I have plenty room to dock it, used wind in my favor to help me dock. Brought it out of water and found the steering assembly on front compartment completely loose from the base. Got an impact gun and i reattached the assembly on new positioning as old holes were stripped. Tested and it works but now I have i noise coming from the steering gear when I spin the wheel that was not doing it before. Any advise? Should I purge the steering lines? Or prime them? Anyone knows how?

Attachments

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
all this makes me glad I have plain ole cable steering... :winkingthumbsup" Its time to go yachting on Sunday Funday... water is 79 no clouds and winds 0-5 outta the east...

jgrushack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Aloha guys, I was out on the open oven in Maui today with my 2021 XD when all of the sudden I lost my steering, no lights or warnings, nothing wrong with the wheel either. I made it back to shore steering with the dual engine, we waited by dock entry and cleared everyone so I have plenty room to dock it, used wind in my favor to help me dock. Brought it out of water and found the steering assembly on front compartment completely loose from the base. Got an impact gun and i reattached the assembly on new positioning as old holes were stripped. Tested and it works but now I have i noise coming from the steering gear when I spin the wheel that was not doing it before. Any advise? Should I purge the steering lines? Or prime them? Anyone knows how?
Did you solve this?

have a ‘21 XD and it too is completely unmounted.took it out for the first time this year last week and it wasn’t responding Screws are sitting around assembly and it struggles to turn well on first turn.
Annoying as all hell.

Attachments

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Same thing that happened to me.
Yeah I just mounted the assembly back with new screws and move it half inch over stern side so the new screws will grab well. Make sure you coat the screws with locktite so it doesn’t happen again!

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Did you solve this?

have a ‘21 XD and it too is completely unmounted.took it out for the first time this year last week and it wasn’t responding Screws are sitting around assembly and it struggles to turn well on first turn.
Annoying as all hell.
Yeah really annoying I end up selling my boat and getting a Nautique, had too much issues with the boat and Yamahas attitude to respond on their product has been the worst. I will. Never again buy a Yamaha. I’m out.

jgrushack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yeah really annoying I end up selling my boat and getting a Nautique, had too much issues with the boat and Yamahas attitude to respond on their product has been the worst. I will. Never again buy a Yamaha. I’m out.
Might follow suit. Was trying to find a reason the bilge went off every 20 min. Left the boat in the water overnight.
Woke up this morning to this.
Anyone looking for a gently used 255xD with a fresh engine wash? 🥲

Attachments

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Might follow suit. Was trying to find a reason the bilge went off every 20 min. Left the boat in the water overnight.
Woke up this morning to this.
Anyone looking for a gently used 255xD with a fresh engine wash? 🥲
What?? This is crazy. So sorry bro. You know we’re the water leaked from?
Oh men this ain’t bueno.
I’m down if we get more people together on a larger suit, I have a lot of records, on things that fail, communications with my dealer and with Yamaha corporate. Even open a case with BBB that the responses from Yamaha are unbelievable.
not sure what is happening with them but after COVID they no longer the same company.
here in Hawaii Yamaha dominated tow in for years with wave runners. Since 2020 all the displays in wave runners started failing on brand new units, Yamaha new about it and did both about it and kept selling units till today, sea dio saw this and they coming out string with their new skies, all the pros are moving to sea doos now for that specific reason.

jgrushack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
nope, currently dry docked. battery died overnight :/ seems to be up and running again but for a third season boat, I shouldnt be dealing with this .