• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maiden Voyage Failure 2021 252SD

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
doesnt matter if they are charged. one could be faulty. loose internal connection, etc that causes a slight momentary blip in the power. thats all it takes.

DesertDweller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
doesnt matter if they are charged. one could be faulty. loose internal connection, etc that causes a slight momentary blip in the power. thats all it takes.
I know this likely has nothing to do with your 252SD issue, but I'll throw it out there anyway. My 252SD head compartment light wasn't working. After checking the light and the connections behind the light panel I checked the fuses in the battery switch compartment. All the fuses were fine, but when I went to reinstall one 20A fuse I could only see one mating leg of the fuse. Upon closer inspection I found that the wire to that leg of the fuse had pulled out of the fuse block because the wire was too short. After redressing the bundle and reinserting the wire I got power back to the head light, the galley light and all of my USB sockets which I didn't realize were not working. I could see that same scenario happening where any wire could be partially pulled out of a fuse block due to the wires being dressed too tightly. This could also cause an intermittent pwr connection. I bet it will come down to some minor issue in the end.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A common thread through all your troubles is the same batteries. The electronics and fancy coding are nifty and all; but maddening when they don’t work perfectly or interface harmoniously with their human commanders. I feel for you. It makes me think of Airbus losing one of their new “fly-by-wire” A320s in the woods after a low airshow pass back in 1988 and also Boeing with the more recent MCAS issues on the 737max. I also experienced the need to adjust the fault range values engineers originally programmed into a new biz jet design. Calculations and computer simulation values turned out to warn pilots of impending doom far more than intended. Users on the front end of technology integrations have to pay for the maturation of design. With all you have been through, dropping a fresh set of quality batteries in yourself sounds like a wise, easy, quick and relatively cheap gamble, especially when I think about how much you paid and what your time has been worth waiting for others to learn through trial and error. They seem to have the error part down.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Yea, I think there are some error tolerances that aren't right. I just don't understand why I'm one of the few having this problem. Maybe there is just a loose connection somewhere like @DesertDweller suggested. But it was mostly fine after they replaced all the components last season. I had one brief moment where the error fired, but it went away quickly and didn't happen again the rest of the season. It is maddening to have continuous problems with a brand new $90k+ boat though.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I get my boat back tomorrow. Say a prayer for me. Apparently the wires are supposed to be secured to the board. Any movement of the wires can cause the errors to throw. Note the diagram below for proper installation in case anyone else has this problem. Mine were not attached with clamps at all.

1649979975248.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I get my boat back tomorrow. Say a prayer for me. Apparently the wires are supposed to be secured to the board. Any movement of the wires can cause the errors to throw. Note the diagram below for proper installation in case anyone else has this problem. Mine were not attached with clamps at all.

View attachment 175589
Well at least a problem was found. Hopefully this solves your issues!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any good news to report?

Seno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Wow, that is a rough one.... I give you credit man, and feel for you. Hope your issue is resolved or they buy it back at full cost. If your still having issues, I would bring it to another Yamaha shop.... Sometimes a different wrench will check things differently and find the issue (yes I read there is only 1 tech to deal with the steering but it could be something co-dependent but separate). The battery's thing sounds unlikely but certainly possible, and the loose connections onto the board/fusebox sounds very viable.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This kind of thing gives me pause to consider buying a new Yammie with all the gadgetry when I come back to the mainland. I so much prefer the confidence of simplicity and shudder at the risk of high fidelity electronics keeping me off the water or stranding me on the water.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Any good news to report?
So far it is working fine. Planning an outing this weekend, so I'll report back if there are further issues. Yamaha seemed pretty confident this was the problem. They were having the same problem with their outboard motors that use this system.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So far it is working fine. Planning an outing this weekend, so I'll report back if there are further issues. Yamaha seemed pretty confident this was the problem. They were having the same problem with their outboard motors that use this system.
So all is go this season now??

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yea, I think there are some error tolerances that aren't right. I just don't understand why I'm one of the few having this problem. Maybe there is just a loose connection somewhere like @DesertDweller suggested. But it was mostly fine after they replaced all the components last season. I had one brief moment where the error fired, but it went away quickly and didn't happen again the rest of the season. It is maddening to have continuous problems with a brand new $90k+ boat though.
I’ll be checking my wiring as well. I occasionally get audible alarms that never show on the panel and disappear quickly. Thanks for the update. Glad you got that beauty back!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I called my service tech. He said this was one of the first things Yamaha had them do. So now we have a new sensor on the ram. new steering wheel helm sensor. new pump because started leaking from the pressure relief knob

Franz collier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
2022 275SD, I had the same issue as you had! I just bought it and in my second trip going in min wake speed I lost steering and both engines shut down. I can use some advice and let me know if you still having the same issue. This sucks ! I hope this gets resolve easy. I’m calling the dealer on Tuesday as everyone is off due to holiday! Thanks in advance!D4B30B08-D621-43CE-BD50-6FD27E776F68.jpeg

Franz collier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I wrote the post after a week of it being in the shop, so I was expecting another full week. But I was thrilled when they called today. They said it would be tedious work checking all the connections throughout the boat. Shower is working now too. There was a kink in the line.

I put about 3 hours on the boat today and it was awesome! Hit 43mph with three adults, two kids and a full tank of gas. That is twice as fast as my previous pontoon boat. 😆

Managed to get the shipping cover on without too much troView attachment 147490
I wrote the post after a week of it being in the shop, so I was expecting another full week. But I was thrilled when they called today. They said it would be tedious work checking all the connections throughout the boat. Shower is working now too. There was a kink in the line.

I put about 3 hours on the boat today and it was awesome! Hit 43mph with three adults, two kids and a full tank of gas. That is twice as fast as my previous pontoon boat. 😆

Managed to get the shipping cover on without too much trouble.

View attachment 147490
where did you get your cover, share link please

Franz collier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Ugh. This boat is a lemon. Back to the dealership I guess. They replaced the power steering unit and wiring harness a few weeks ago. Worked for a little while. Feeling like I should give up on Yamaha, but not sure what else I should get. I really like the boat when it works.

View attachment 158730
I think I got your boat twin brother !

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What a roller coaster ride reading this thread! Man I hope it's working now. Good luck.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2022 275SD, I had the same issue as you had! I just bought it and in my second trip going in min wake speed I lost steering and both engines shut down. I can use some advice and let me know if you still having the same issue. This sucks ! I hope this gets resolve easy. I’m calling the dealer on Tuesday as everyone is off due to holiday! Thanks in advance!View attachment 181898
According to his last post in April after the dealer secured the communication wires correctly he has not had any issues. Hopefully you can supply the dealer with the info in post #66 above and that will be the end of your issue.