• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maiden Voyage Failure 2021 252SD

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I hope that is the issue and maybe I can convince them to install a third battery to mitigate the issue

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I hope that is the issue and maybe I can convince them to install a third battery to mitigate the issue

So I noticed that your batt voltages in the pic you sent, 12.3 for the start and 11.5 for the house. Just throwing out a guess, I wonder what the result would be if the emergency paralleling switch was closed to provide more capacity on all systems…

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
if the batteries they put in are low quality or even if one is just poor or faulty then adding a third isnt really the solution. i cant tell you how many batteries i have bought over the years that have been no good and have to go back. batteries are made from 100% recycled batteries. there is going to be a fairly decent percentage of them that come through a production line not up to snuff for sensitive electronics and electrical systems. get rid of the batteries they throw in there and get a pair of good agm batteries. can be the cheaper agm ones like the duracell or if you dont want to mess around then get the tppl batteries like odyssey extremes or northstar pro's. again, not saying its your issue or a definite fix but surely something to look into. i go fairly long distances with my boat and even if everything all worked good, while on the water i would not want to rely on the bargain basement batteries the dealer puts in there. it was the first thing i swapped out this season before i put the boat in.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll just keep my problem free old Yamaha that can run on a lawn tractor battery.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
New update from Yamaha: They are suggesting it may be a problem caused by shutting the boat off with the wheel turned. It puts tension on the steering cable that causes the system to think there is a problem when you turn the boat back on. The theory is that if you have the steering straight when you shut off the boat it should be fine and not throw errors when you turn it back on. Not sure what they intend to do to resolve this "bug" if that is indeed the cause of my problems. The dealer has another SD boat in the shop with the same issue.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
New update from Yamaha: They are suggesting it may be a problem caused by shutting the boat off with the wheel turned. It puts tension on the steering cable that causes the system to think there is a problem when you turn the boat back on. The theory is that if you have the steering straight when you shut off the boat it should be fine and not throw errors when you turn it back on. Not sure what they intend to do to resolve this "bug" if that is indeed the cause of my problems. The dealer has another SD boat in the shop with the same issue.
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. How could you ever ensure the wheel is 100% straight.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Ironically. On My 10 hour service, I was charged $120 to “realign my steering due to weeds”. On my 252SD. No errors that I saw but apparently a code registered somewhere. I didn’t understand it and admittedly even my service manager didn’t understand it.

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
is the #covidbuilt appropriate? Man I'm sorry you're having so many issues, it's a punch in the gut to spend so much, wait so long, and then have nothing but issues. Really hope they get you straightened out soon. As for this:

"...the icing on the cake was a couple of dudes on a house boat screaming "no wake" at me as I cruised in my cove on no wake mode at 4mph"

Every marina has a few of these guys. I've had them give me the "slow down" signals as I cruised past as slowly as possible. The next throttle position I had was neutral. I noticed they weren't out the day I saw a guy leave our marina at what looked like full throttle, while still 50 yds deep in the No Wake zone.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Every marina has a few of these guys. I've had them give me the "slow down" signals as I cruised past as slowly as possible. The next throttle position I had was neutral. I noticed they weren't out the day I saw a guy leave our marina at what looked like full throttle, while still 50 yds deep in the No Wake zone.
It definitely got more dramatic with those guys: https://jetboaters.net/threads/anybody-else-get-griped-at-in-no-wake-mode.28785/post-553318

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. How could you ever ensure the wheel is 100% straight.
I guess I can understand how they didn't properly account for this scenario in their software. I definitely won't accept "center the wheel before you turn it off" as any final solution.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
They would need to install a steering wheel angle sensor and have an indicator on the dash. All newer vehicles have this sensor for the obvious reasons.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They would need to install a steering wheel angle sensor and have an indicator on the dash. All newer vehicles have this sensor for the obvious reasons.
I have two 2020 cars and have no idea what your talking about lol…. Maybe I’m not picking up the sarcasm

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have two 2020 cars and have no idea what your talking about lol…. Maybe I’m not picking up the sarcasm
Somewhere on or in your steering column there is a steering angle sensor. The safety controls on your vehicle need to know what position the steering wheel is at. I.E Traction Control, ABS, Air Bags, Radar, Active headlights, Auto 4WD, Active suspension etc. No sarcasm here.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Got my boat back. Supposedly fixed after cable adjustments. 2.5 months in the shop so far for my new boat. This is probably the last chance before I ask them to buy it back. Wish me luck.

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Got my boat back. Supposedly fixed after cable adjustments. 2.5 months in the shop so far for my new boat. This is probably the last chance before I ask them to buy it back. Wish me luck.
How has it been since?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotta love all of the unnecessary electronics in boats these days. These types of issues is why I bought my new boat with minimal electronics.
no kidding that's exactly why I'm re-powering my 2004 rather than buying a new boat...

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
How has it been since?
I tried to launch it for the season today and the problem is back. Supposedly Yamaha replaced the entire system last time. It is back at the dealership now. Hoping this isn't a repeat of last season. If this was a car, I would qualify for the lemon law.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
still sportin the same batteries?

jstat17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. Sorry you have to go through all this. I hope they get it straight finally. Damn....