• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maiden Voyage Failure 2021 252SD

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Launched the boat for the first time today. About 2 minutes in, a "Stop Steering" warning fired. My dealer was on the boat with me helping me launch it. We stopped and adjusted a service valve on the power steering and the error went away for about 10 minutes before it fired again and we couldn't get it to go away and stay off. Waves and hard steering seem to trigger it.

There was initially some heavy vibration at 3k rpm on the starboard engine too that went away after I hit 4K. That didn't return. Then there was a heavy hit on that same engine that maybe was debris going through the impeller. Not sure if that is related to all this or not. Checked the clean outs and nothing there.

Put the boat back on the trailer. Maybe the power steering system is bad or is out of synch somehow. I only got it to activate the paddle throttles once. Attached is the other message that started firing also. Not sure what is going on, but to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Taking it back to the dealership tomorrow. I did note that the stop steering error was firing in float mode (engines off) before I ever took it out. Service manager said that was normal and other posts on this forum made me think it wasn't too unusual.

So much for my PTO I planned this week. 😩😡

FB7C4ECF-8536-4F1D-9F99-C8CFEF8D4F14.jpeg

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Oh man. That is shitty. I can feel your frustration. My 252SD is going in for PDI and I have to say I'm a little on edge. I've already warned my Service Technicians to assess the anchor locker drain. I hope it's a simple fix for you and the only hiccup you have. Please keep us posted.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I had it on the water for about an hour hitting waves from other boats. I don't think I have any water breach issues. Pulled the drain plug and nothing came out.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
These things have power steering now?

Doesn’t Coonext do some kind of weird stuff if it detects the bucket can’t move on the higher end and X models? Maybe something is wedged in there and that is an issue? Idk these tech things IMO tend to make things more difficult than need be for a boat like this.

As for knowing if you have water in the boat you really have to put the trailer on a steep grade due to how the bilge and other compartments are that are integrated into the bilge drainage.

Last edited:

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
@haknslash, nothing obstructing the gates. Pretty sure it is an issue with the power steering hydraulic system, which is needed for the throttle paddles. Those were nice for the few seconds they worked. Also found out my shower doesn't work on the boat today, so that is great.

Had the boat on the ramp when I pulled the hull plug, so at least feeling good I avoided that issue for now.

I'll just make the best of my view and stare wishfully at the water for now.
FE85276B-957E-48E7-98AC-CBD0D4238DD2.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had no idea these come with power steering and still kind of baffled why they’re required even if you have paddles or not. Steering is only moving small nozzles not full on huge V8 outboards but I guess they felt the need to add power steering for some reason. I hope they can quickly get it resolved for you. Hang in there!

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
the sd's have electro hydraulic steering, shift and throttles. what is good about it is that its not some yamaha designed stuff. its the seastar optimus system that yamaha uses in the boats. that a really good and robust system.

you need to have this with the paddles on the wheel. mechanical cables would never work. for instance when you switch to the paddles, the steering wheel rotation lock to lock changes. its i think a little less than 1/4 turn each way to get full steering. when out of paddle mode the steering lock changes to maybe 1/2 turn left and right. that all has to be controlled electronically not to mention the paddles need to do shift and throttle up to 3k and work smooth like butter. if not they would be pointless.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Oh man. That is shitty. I can feel your frustration. My 252SD is going in for PDI and I have to say I'm a little on edge. I've already warned my Service Technicians to assess the anchor locker drain. I hope it's a simple fix for you and the only hiccup you have. Please keep us posted.
I checked my locker drain today and noticed that it is much higher on the hull. I don’t see how water will be able to enter. I have a 212SE. Maybe this is an issue with the larger boats?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I checked my locker drain today and noticed that it is much higher on the hull. I don’t see how water will be able to enter. I have a 212SE. Maybe this is an issue with the larger boats?
I don’t know man it still looks pretty close to the water line. Any waves, people sitting in the bow, plowing at no wake speeds etc is going to have water get up in there. It’s not that you need to inspect the outside it’s that you need to see if they finished the inside and that there is no gap (unlikely since this has been going on for many years now).

2021 212X shown....

E1966E86-2578-49FA-9322-187C57A532D7.jpeg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I'm going out today, so I'll check the locker.Thanks

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Got word that my boat will be in the shop for at least 2 weeks to diagnose the issue. That will make at least 6 weeks total my new boat has been in the shop unusable. If this were a car, I could declare it a lemon.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The problem was a loose connection on a wiring harness. Successful maiden voyage part 2! View attachment 147479
So two days instead of two weeks awesome!

I take it you went for a cruise? Now you can look at your fire pit from the lake! Lol!

that’s a sweet looking ride! Stoked you got it back!

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i cant tell from the pic. on your bimini, is that zipper type opening or is there a clear vinyl window sewn into it?

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
So two days instead of two weeks awesome!

I take it you went for a cruise? Now you can look at your fire pit from the lake! Lol!

that’s a sweet looking ride! Stoked you got it back!
I wrote the post after a week of it being in the shop, so I was expecting another full week. But I was thrilled when they called today. They said it would be tedious work checking all the connections throughout the boat. Shower is working now too. There was a kink in the line.

I put about 3 hours on the boat today and it was awesome! Hit 43mph with three adults, two kids and a full tank of gas. That is twice as fast as my previous pontoon boat. 😆

Managed to get the shipping cover on without too much trouble.

1C6E7BAC-FADA-4ACA-9AD3-5EC3370B7AEA.jpeg

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t know man it still looks pretty close to the water line. Any waves, people sitting in the bow, plowing at no wake speeds etc is going to have water get up in there. It’s not that you need to inspect the outside it’s that you need to see if they finished the inside and that there is no gap (unlikely since this has been going on for many years now).

2021 212X shown....

View attachment 146667
Beautiful illustrations 😄

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Well, my boat is back in the shop with the steering issue. It started throwing the "stop steering" warning Thursday evening and the paddles wouldn't work. I secured the wiring harness and got it working.

Friday morning the warning fired again when I went to get gas. Again, checked the connection, gave the wire a little more slack and it was good again until Friday evening when we went out. I stopped the boat, checked the wires, then throttled up again, but with no steering control this time. I shut the boat off and turned off the batteries for a minute before trying again. Check engine light was off and steering returned, but I was limited to 12mph to limp back to my dock.

Icing on the cake was a couple of dudes on a house boat screaming "no wake" at me as I cruised in my cove on no wake mode at 4mph. I think if you can't handle a half inch ripple in the water, you probably need a house on dry land to keep you safe from the lunatics in Yamaha boats in no wake mode. Needless to say, I wasn't in the mood for their outrage.

Is it too much to ask that your new boat doesn't give you anxiety about getting stuck out on the lake? Certainly scared to take it out after the sun goes down.

For anyone wondering, this is the wire and electronics board under the helm that seems to be causing my issues.

A76740C7-8A1B-445E-A455-1854FF559197.jpeg

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
New update: the shop thinks there is a problem with the steering sensor and/or electric cabling on the hydraulic steering unit. Hopefully Yamaha has a new part on hand. Part of the problem I have with Yamaha is there is 1 certified tech in northwest Atlanta to work on all these new boats that have lots of issues. So you are SOL if this person is sick, on vacation, or has other people in front of you.