• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 XD

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I wonder if this model will be California compliant. Don't want to get my hopes up on upgrading to this boat if I'm unable to purchase due to California laws.

Can anyone chime in as information becomes available?

thanks!

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if this model will be California compliant. Don't want to get my hopes up on upgrading to this boat if I'm unable to purchase due to California laws.

Can anyone chime in as information becomes available?

thanks!
I was wondering the same thing!... I can’t see them losing out on all the potential buyers in CA... but ya never know, might just be the 252’s available to us?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That would have been a really good reason for offering up the 1.8 NA engine as they did. Outside of California, there are plenty that just don't want/need 500hp and fuel costs.

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I was wondering the same thing!... I can’t see them losing out on all the potential buyers in CA... but ya never know, might just be the 252’s available to us?
Don't want to blow my dealers phone up, so i'll give it time, but during early stages of boat scouting I was interested in the AR195 until I found them to be non-compliant. Really hope this isn't the same scenario, but I'll wait a year on these new models to see what tweaks they do if they are in fact non-compliant.

I know my dealers sells out of Yamaha boats quick, but it would be devastating that Yamaha would not give CA boaters the option of the 255XD without supercharged engines.

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That would have been a really good reason for offering up the 1.8 NA engine as they did. Outside of California, there are plenty that just don't want/need 500hp and fuel costs.
agreed. I don't necessarily want the supercharged engines, but I do like all the other features and graphics on the 255XD

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Dealer just confirmed the 255’s won’t make an appearance in California. Sad day

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer just confirmed the 255’s won’t make an appearance in California. Sad day
Wow!!!!!... I definitely want the 255. But might have to wait and see if they change for next year... not sure if I can go a year without a boat though.
I do all my boating in Havasu, and have a storage out there as well, so I might have to look into buying the boat in AZ and register it there as a non-resident. I think that’s doable from things I’ve read, just don’t know the details.

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That’s what my dealer said to look into, but I don’t have a residence out of state to do that. The 252 doesn’t have the wakebooster integrated so it’s not worth it to me

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s what my dealer said to look into, but I don’t have a residence out of state to do that. The 252 doesn’t have the wakebooster integrated so it’s not worth it to me
From what I’ve read, you don’t need a residence in AZ to register it there. I think you just pay a Non Residence ‘fee’ to do so.... but I guess that ‘fee’ is less than the ‘luxury tax’ CA charges us .... (sshhh, fo some reason CA never got me for that stupid ‘luxury tax’ on my old 2005 AR 230..... I think I lucked out)... but it could be a win win.....
Not 100% sure, but I think Nevada has the same Non-Residence registration as well, and the ‘fee’ is cheaper...

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
They implemented the luxury tax this January as I received a bill in the mail to pay by the end of this month. He said they might look into opening a shop in Reno to avoid this issue and have more opportunity to sell more boat lines

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They implemented the luxury tax this January as I received a bill in the mail to pay by the end of this month. He said they might look into opening a shop in Reno to avoid this issue and have more opportunity to sell more boat lines
Oooh, that would work!.... Then just register it ‘Non Resident’ in NV, small fee, and no CA luxury tax! Wahooo!....

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I think the 252XE has all the features of the 255XD less the supercharged engines and of course no DRIVE paddles......

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yup. Buy in AZ register as non resident.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
From what I’ve read, you don’t need a residence in AZ to register it there. I think you just pay a Non Residence ‘fee’ to do so.... but I guess that ‘fee’ is less than the ‘luxury tax’ CA charges us ....
Correct. Requires yearly fee to fish and wildlife. It’s not much.

jetivan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I think the 252XE has all the features of the 255XD less the supercharged engines and of course no DRIVE paddles......
Smaller bimini top, manual steering vs electric. But yeah not huge differences.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Smaller bimini top, manual steering vs electric. But yeah not huge differences.
Ah, yes i forgot about the smaller Bimini, and the loungers don’t have the seat pads (just the backs).

Is DRIVE a true steer-by-wire/motorized steering???

Funny they really don’t tell you much about this stuff......

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think it works like this, if you don’t see a California (CA) version of the yamaha model you want, you can’t buy it new in CA. For example the 195, FSH and 275 series.

as for the 255 I would not even consider it without the the super chargers. The extra foot and new features are not enough for me to justify the expected cost. I’d be looking for more pier in my next boat not the same power I’d get from my current boat.
10208136-8BDA-4AD8-8814-B39380FC70D5.png

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Not too many times do I ever catch myself needing to go over 40-45 mph. The other difference with the models is no integrated wakebooster

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not too many times do I ever catch myself needing to go over 40-45 mph. The other difference with the models is no integrated wakebooster
It’s not all about top end with bigger motors. It’s about hole shot to get people up out of the water when moving 1600LBs of ballast plus the extra foot.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
does the 252xe have the wakeboosters built in? i orginally was looking into a 2020 242x but none were avail, and now im torn with my choice 252/255 xe xd