• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 XD

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I agree that it'd be nice if they came with longer warranties standard. They will often throw in extended warranties for free around boat show season or you can also purchase an extended warranty separately (current cost to extend to 5 years for 25ft boats is $2750).
Exactly. That is one of the reasons why I am going to wait before ordering one (in addition to wanting to see owner’s reviews of the new wake).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One of the prior positive comments about these boats is they don't weigh as much as a surf boat....this is part of the reason why they don't throw as big a wake. If you are looking for this boat to be competitive with Wake boats for wake surfing....you are looking at the wrong boat. Can they be made to throw a wave - Yes. Will it be push button - No.

Just look at the stern of any wake surf boat - they are HUGE. Why? Because they need room to store all the ballast. This means that their transoms are not inviting from a socializing perspective - you are either IN the boat, or OUT of the boat.

Look at the back of these boats....its a huge chunk of space between the cabin and the stern....
1600715558539.png

All so you can have these huge ballast capabilities:
1600715501793.png

Now look at the back of a Yamaha from above and you can see how different the layout is:
1600715770012.png

The only way Yamaha boats will be serious competition to the wake boat market would be to:
  1. Switch the stern layout to focus on nothing but ballast
  2. Continue to refine the jet pump outputs to improve wake shape
Until this happens.....these boats will remain well rounded boats that can do a lot of different things - but throw huge waves stock won't be one of them.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Excellent points Jillian,
I was hoping that it throws a surfable wake to justify upgrading from my 2016 242 Limited SE.

I will wait to see the boat in person and see the wake it throws before making a decision.

Thanks for the insight

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone looked at the bottom to see what type of set up they are using for the ballast pumps . Is it one inlet again for 3 pumps all the 242 x series had this it created an issue with filling and draining completely

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One of the prior positive comments about these boats is they don't weigh as much as a surf boat....this is part of the reason why they don't throw as big a wake. If you are looking for this boat to be competitive with Wake boats for wake surfing....you are looking at the wrong boat. Can they be made to throw a wave - Yes. Will it be push button - No.

Just look at the stern of any wake surf boat - they are HUGE. Why? Because they need room to store all the ballast. This means that their transoms are not inviting from a socializing perspective - you are either IN the boat, or OUT of the boat.

Look at the back of these boats....its a huge chunk of space between the cabin and the stern....
View attachment 133988

All so you can have these huge ballast capabilities:
View attachment 133987

Now look at the back of a Yamaha from above and you can see how different the layout is:
View attachment 133990

The only way Yamaha boats will be serious competition to the wake boat market would be to:
  1. Switch the stern layout to focus on nothing but ballast
  2. Continue to refine the jet pump outputs to improve wake shape
Until this happens.....these boats will remain well rounded boats that can do a lot of different things - but throw huge waves stock won't be one of them.
Exactly. My brother-in-laws Moomba holds 4,000# of water in the ballasts. The boat without anything in the ballast is already 6,400#. Different boats from ours for sure.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Go to ANY other manufacturers site and build a wake series (even the forward I/O’s)....much higher price than the XD....and the I/O’s max at 380hp....

So I agree the 255XE/XD with 500HP looks like a good value......IF it throws a good wave in standard form...TBD.

I cannot wait until the actual owners reports on here and YouTube.

Are they at $100k OTD for the XE??? As for the trailer issue, yes that should be YOUR call whether to upgrade or not since they are pre-ordering right now anyway (although i guess where your at you’ll deal with rust if you don’t???). These dealers have a lot more room on that $90k boat then the AR195’s they shouldn’t be that greedy....unless Yamaha is only building a limited few 255’s
The I/O’s might max at 360hp, but my in-laws Moomba features a 450hp Raptor motor that creates mad torque.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Mad torque and 38mph top speed....its all about what you want to do.
I hear you. I’ve been on their boat several times though this summer and it easily goes 45 with ballasts drained and 7 people. He looks to go fast and so do I.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I hear you. I’ve been on their boat several times though this summer and it easily goes 45 with ballasts drained and 7 people. He looks to go fast and so do I.
Lots of different models and sizes...I just grabbed the first google search return I got on a Moomba with a 450 in it:

Glad to hear they aren't all such dogs!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
According to the video review by JetBoatPilot the specific detail is a cutout in the back of the hull...
JetBoatPilot 255XD Wake specific enhancements

View attachment 133385
I watched the video and that's very interesting. The cutout seems to have two purposes: 1) to make the auto wakeboosters grab water and 2) to allow for MORE water into the booster to "clean up the jet wash.

Something I've been contemplating on my old-school wakebooster is: what would happen if I extended the outside of the booster by 4-8 inches? I know the lawyers at Yamaha frown on that because of the possibility of catching a downed surfer as the boat returns with that extra piece. However I could add a fiberglass flag to the extension that would allow for above water visibility.

Something to contemplate over the cold AF winter months.

m3morgs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I watched the video and that's very interesting. The cutout seems to have two purposes: 1) to make the auto wakeboosters grab water and 2) to allow for MORE water into the booster to "clean up the jet wash.

Something I've been contemplating on my old-school wakebooster is: what would happen if I extended the outside of the booster by 4-8 inches? I know the lawyers at Yamaha frown on that because of the possibility of catching a downed surfer as the boat returns with that extra piece. However I could add a fiberglass flag to the extension that would allow for above water visibility.

Something to contemplate over the cold AF winter months.
Might be an interesting trial, but I see the extension that was cutout as creating more hydrodynamic lift on the stern.. with it cut out it will effectively also lower the stern into the water and yes also allow more water ad obviously less obstruction. But beware with the forces with such an inverted scoop.. might rip your fibre glass corner if not properly reinforced/secured. The wakesurf wedges that are put on the side of the hulls are typically a surface that extends out in the back and are tangent with the hull in the front, and not an inverted scoop.