• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275 SD

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would be most curious about ride, engine noise, heavy water coming into boat from rear when slowing down (does it come into the boat), and how flimsy is the wind blocker pull down screen......
I have never seen or ridden in the 275 boats but just judging by videos out there the noise seems to be about what you'd expect out of a twin engine 24' Yamaha. Ride quality looks to be about the same as well although I don't remember the 24' boats wallowing near as much as I've seen the 275's do especially on turn in. Bow also looks to be a wet ride area since its low slung and doesn't offer a lot of freeboard. For small lakes this is a non-issue most of the time but on bigger lakes and waters this would not be a fun place to lounge or ride. Look how wet it gets and the spray coming off the low bow. Music stops eventually in the video so you can hear it.

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never seen or ridden in the 275 boats but just judging by videos out there the noise seems to be about what you'd expect out of a twin engine 24' Yamaha. Ride quality looks to be about the same as well although I don't remember the 24' boats wallowing near as much as I've seen the 275's do especially on turn in. Bow also looks to be a wet ride area since its low slung and doesn't offer a lot of freeboard. For small lakes this is a non-issue most of the time but on bigger lakes and waters this would not be a fun place to lounge or ride. Look how wet it gets and the spray coming off the low bow. Music stops eventually in the video so you can hear it.

Fun video,I’m relatively new to jet boating but the most interesting thing to me was watching the guy back the boat in with the paddle throttle controls. Cool to be able to face backward and dock. At least I’m pretty sure that’s what was happening...
Still probably not where I, personally, would choose to spend my money at that size boat.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea but then you have to think how often do you really back into a slip or need to stand up while docking? I guess if I owned a slip or had to navigate straight backwards a lot could be a cool feature. Otherwise I've never felt like I needed to stand up and look backwards to backup. My hand and eye coordination isn't pro level by my means either but docking hasn't been a huge issue for me, even with the v drive which is a whole different thing than jet boats. They first introduced this dual throttle lever on their PWC's years ago but they dubbed it RiDE. If it were bow or stern thrusters then yea that would be sweet but unfortunately it's just actuating the reverse bucket and throttle.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Maybe I missed it, I did not see a drop of water coming over the bow...
Hard to tell but it seemed like a pretty good ride, the guys in the bow seem pretty comfortable. That would be a very different ride in my old 190! lol, but again just guessing here.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hees some still frames from when they took it out. Wet bow on the seats and fiberglass from the spray....

image.png

At one point in the video he even made sure to time the bow spray with the music...

image.png

The conditions they were out in looked a little chopped up but not at all what I'd call rough yet it still got wet. The low slung bow is trying to fight off these little waves but spray makes it over the top. It's NOT a dry ride boat IMO and one look at the bow and how it sort of swoops or dips low you can see tell this is not a boat you'd want to ride upfront when it's choppy or creep along with big swells....

image.png

image.png

Good angle to see what I mean with how the bow dips or swoops downward compared to the midline of the boat. Not really ideal for open water or big lakes IMO...

image.jpeg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I backed our Yamaha and our Beneteau into their slips whenever I could. I never stood up for any of it except to grab a cleat. On sailboats you can stand on either side of the wheel. My throttle/shift controls are on the starboard cockpit coaming, so I sit starboard side, forward of the wheel facing backwards and have full control of wheel and throttle. It's just easier than swivelling your head around side to side. My preference is, boats with swim platforms being backed into a slip, when wind conditions allow, they are usually easier to board. Driving forward into a slip is much easier than backing in windy conditions. And FWIW you feel part of the marina community, if you choose sitting near the main dock like others instead of being at the other end of the finger. It is easier hang out and talk/drink with your neighbors on the other side of the dock. Slip your boat how you feel comfortable. We hang out at the Marina in the Beneteau more than we did with the Yamaha. Just my $.02.

20180623_150726.jpg

image.jpg

And I am not alone... ;) but the majority of day boats at the marina, without a big swimplatform pull in forward.

20180728_175049.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hees some still frames from when they took it out. Wet bow on the seats and fiberglass from the spray....

View attachment 111791

At one point in the video he even made sure to time the bow spray with the music...

View attachment 111792

The conditions they were out in looked a little chopped up but not at all what I'd call rough yet it still got wet. The low slung bow is trying to fight off these little waves but spray makes it over the top. It's NOT a dry ride boat IMO and one look at the bow and how it sort of swoops or dips low you can see tell this is not a boat you'd want to ride upfront when it's choppy or creep along with big swells....

View attachment 111793

View attachment 111794

Good angle to see what I mean with how the bow dips or swoops downward compared to the midline of the boat. Not really ideal for open water or big lakes IMO...

View attachment 111795
@haknslash, you are tough! IDK. some of the shooting was deliberate on the side of the bow, not sure why. I can tell you it would be hard to find a boat, any boat, under 30' that gets no spray on the bow riding in the ocean whatsoever and that woudl include "offshore" boats as well. I'm far-far from being a fan of the 275, but even the new 240s Yamaha JBs are pretty dry riding, while they will beat and slap you to death in hard chop and you will loose your dental fillings, lol.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That boat would benifit from trim tabs, by what i have seen so far.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash, you are tough! IDK. some of the shooting was deliberate on the side of the bow, not sure why. I can tell you it would be hard to find a boat, any boat, under 30' that gets no spray on the bow riding in the ocean whatsoever and that woudl include "offshore" boats as well. I'm far-far from being a fan of the 275, but even the new 240s Yamaha JBs are pretty dry riding, while they will beat and slap you to death in hard chop and you will loose your dental fillings, lol.

--
I guess I’d just have to see one in person but the profile just looks to sit lower than the 24’ boats. My 192 bow got flooded just sitting anchored in the gulf because the bow sits low. That’s all I’m trying to say it the boat looks low slung especially compared to the competition that it likely won’t offer a dry ride. I don’t even think you’d have to go offshore to find that out as I could see a set of rollers also causing the bow to dip below the waterline. Just things for people IMO to think about is all.

Tahoe Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello all, I’m new to the Forum and currently have a 2013 yamaha 242 that I purchased new.....we live on the water in Fla in a shallow inlet that leads to the bay, so the jet boat has worked perfectly for us with no issues . ...we are retiring this year and plan on spending more time on the water and want a bigger boat, which leads us to the 275 SD.....we fell in love with a cobalt R7 but concerned about the shallow water (2ft for about 100 yards) and I/O maintenance on the salt....my wife is absolutely opposed to an outboard because of our use of the swim platform, which leads us back to the 275...

Any thoughts on the 275? Anyone here own one? We love our Yamaha but not a big price difference with the cobalt and I’m struggling with that....Although at the EOD, the jet boat might be our only option with the shallow water.....we recently looked at one at a boat show and it looked much better in person than in pics, my local dealer said he would install an automatic windlass for me, but I am most concerned about taking on water in the rear and fuel mileage ...

Thanks for any feedback!
I’ve enjoyed reading this post and replies. I too was weighing Cobalt vs Yamaha. I’ve been enamored with Cobalt since I first saw one at the San Francisco boat show when the brand was launched. I was 15 at the time. In the end, I bought the Yamaha. My marina limits boat length to 25’ overall, including outdrives, swim steps, and accumulated bird crap. The 24’ Yamaha will fit I’m my slip and the entire 24’ is usable.

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just curious, were you able to sea trial the boat? I’m looking at the 275 also but local dealer doesn’t have one....looked it over at a boat show but very curious how it handles the chop and noise?
Just found out they only test drive the Jet Boats in a lake.

Very suspect why they won't test drive them in salt water

Makes me wonder … Do they think they are only a lake boat?

Last edited:

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just found ou they only test drive the Jet Boats in a lake.

Very suspect why they won't test drive in salt water

Make me wonder do they think they are only a lake boat
Cycle Springs takes all their boats to Lake Tarpon because it’s very close to their shop. Plus cleanup is probably much faster. When I traded my SeaDoo boat in they took it there to water test it as well.

Jblocker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Update for the group, we are no longer Yamaha owners....loved our 242 but wanted bigger boat now that we are living in Fla full time.....looked hard at the 275 but couldn’t pull the trigger....we purchased a Cobalt 30SC with twin Yamaha 300 OBs.....lose the swim platform but what we gained in size, ride, quality, etc fit more of how it will be used.

Thanks again for the information shared here!

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update for the group, we are no longer Yamaha owners....loved our 242 but wanted bigger boat now that we are living in Fla full time.....looked hard at the 275 but couldn’t pull the trigger....we purchased a Cobalt 30SC with twin Yamaha 300 OBs.....lose the swim platform but what we gained in size, ride, quality, etc fit more of how it will be used.

Thanks again for the information shared here!
Congrats on your amazing new boat. To be fair, you went from comparing a Camry to a Panamera...of course your boat is better (and twice + the price!).

Jblocker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, no doubt different boats....but not nearly double the price....dealers are willing to deal right now, especially with the corona virus chaos.

Funny thing, I’ve been a Yamaha loyalist (and still love them) and the 275SD was what I expected to buy, but even my local dealer wouldn’t really recommend it.....I hope Yamaha continues to improve and market this boat better.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good video and not surprising to see them going only 38 mph as people and dogs are at their top end..... Yamaha's niche is not in this large boat class IMO and having been too a couple of boat shows this year, I can think of many other boats that I would buy for under $100K that would blow this away in form/function. I am still a Yamaha fan for how most of us use our boats but not this segment.

biagio85

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Good video and not surprising to see them going only 38 mph as people and dogs are at their top end..... Yamaha's niche is not in this large boat class IMO and having been too a couple of boat shows this year, I can think of many other boats that I would buy for under $100K that would blow this away in form/function. I am still a Yamaha fan for how most of us use our boats but not this segment.
What would you buy? I'm really torn. I love this style with all the seating.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SeaRay, Chaparral, Sea Hunt, Cobalt, Chris Craft, Boston Whaler, etc. For under 24/21 feet and general purpose, Yamaha can’t be beat for the value

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just saw the video for the first time, meh.... for a buck thirty not sure I would get it.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just saw the video for the first time, meh.... for a buck thirty not sure I would get it.
Just curious...

What didn’t you like, the price or the boat? What boat would you like better? Personally after seeing it a dozen times and driving it last year I really like it. The boat felt like my 240 but stretched. The walkthrough transom makes me wonder why the 240 doesn’t have that. With 8 people on board we still didn’t feel crowded.