• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

6 speakers and no amp

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wanted to added speakers to my swim platform without adding an amp. My reason for not wanting an amp was that I didn't think the swim platform speakers needed to be powered while underway and when the swim platform speakers are powered I did not need them to be loader than what the stereo head can do. The solution I came up with was to add a 4 pole double throw toggle switch (4pdt) in between the stereo head and a pair of factory installed speakers. I actually ended up using a 4 pole triple throw rotary switch because that is what I had on hand.

Now when we are chillin' on the swim platform and want to listen to some tune, I open the helm comparment door and change the position of the switch.

The wire diagram showing how the switch is wired in.
Spkr 14 sony install.JPG
This is the pigtail between the factory wiring harness (clear plug) and the stereo head (black plug), corresponds to the above diagram. The grey and white wires are split, male spade connectors on the out of the stereo head and the female spade connectors on the wires going to the factory speakers.
Spkr 4 pigtail.JPG

This is the wiring on the switch, there are 3 grey pairs and 3 white pairs of wires. Each color group has 1 input pair with female spade connectors and 2 output pairs with male spade connectors.
Spkr 12 switch assembly.JPG

The switch on the mounting plate. Since I used a rotary switch with 3 position and only have 2 pairs of speaker I ended up with an off position. If you use a toggle 4pdt switch there will not be an off position.
Spkr 10 switch front.JPG

I mounted my switch in the helm compartment. I ran new speaker wire from here to the swim platform speakers.
Spkr 13 switch installed.JPG

I added 4" fusion speakers to the swim platform, that is enough sound for our needs. After 3 seasons of use we still enjoy the sound.
Spkr 6 cutout.JPG

Spkr 7 installed right.JPG

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is pretty much exactly what I want to do!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That a great solution. You could have kept the (-) connected and just switched the (+). Cam.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't understand why the head unit wouldn't support 6 speakers. All new cars come with at the least 6 speakers and most of the time have no amp. Not to mention stock head units don't put out half of what aftermarket units are putting out.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone can give a more techinical answer, but it has to do with changing the ohms and speaker outputs when speakers are wires together. Compared to using one speaker per radio output.

Our system still works and sounds great for how we use it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't understand why the head unit wouldn't support 6 speakers. All new cars come with at the least 6 speakers and most of the time have no amp. Not to mention stock head units don't put out half of what aftermarket units are putting out.
The head unit has four speaker outputs. Technically it would be possible to connect six speakers to the head unit. I have done so in my boat. But it is not the way that Andy chose to wire his speakers.

I am using an aftermarket head unit and am on the way to 8 speakers. My head unit is a Fusion IP600 which supports 2 ohm loads. I have two 4 ohm speakers in parallel on two of the channels providing a 4 ohm load to those two channels. The head unit produces more watts in a 2 ohm configuration so I end up with more sounds than I would with only one speaker per channel.

Either way works well. Andy is not wasting watts to play music behind the boat when he is not listening to it.

Many head units do not support 2 ohm loads. Most marine speakers are 4 ohm. In that case you would have to wire the speakers in series providing an 8 ohm load to the head unit. Doing so will result in less watts from the head unit. So this configuration is not optimal.

JimmyUSN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That a great solution. You could have kept the (-) connected and just switched the (+). Cam.
I was thinking the same thing.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I'll have to look into it. I'm not one of those guys that has to blast my stereo. Most of the time my wife doesn't even allow me to cut on the radio. I just want to hear a little music without have t to blast the speakers in the boat.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho What size speakers were you able to fit on the transom? I wasn't sure if 6.5's would work or if I would need to go smaller. Or move to a different area. I have not had a chance to get to the boat yet to measure.

How do they sound there? Does it get too loud for someone sitting on the deck?

Also, did that Sony remote cover up the previous holes from the old remote or did you need to do some patching?

Thanks.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho What size speakers were you able to fit on the transom? I wasn't sure if 6.5's would work or if I would need to go smaller. Or move to a different area. I have not had a chance to get to the boat yet to measure.

How do they sound there? Does it get too loud for someone sitting on the deck?

Also, did that Sony remote cover up the previous holes from the old remote or did you need to do some patching?

Thanks.
I went with 4" Fusion speakers because the wife just wanted a little sound on the swim platform, there was no need for me to go with 6.5" but that would have been my choice.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice. Thanks guys. @cozilla Are those the slim versions or the standard? That is a pretty tight area but they look good.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ps it's not any louder on the rear if I disconnect the interior speakers and it didn't effect the interior speakers sound quality at all. Only added more sound on the back of the boat. I can only give positive reviews to this addition. Now I gotta get another remote for the rear.