• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A Comparison of Fuel Consumption of Yamaha Boats

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is motivated by predicting Bimini crossing fuel consumption but should be of interest to all boaters as it includes maximum range for lake conditions as well.

I started with the BoatTest.com fuel consumption numbers. In the past I have looked at these based on RPM but RPM does not translate well across different engines. So I decided to interpolate range values for fifteen models of boats every six MPH from 12 to 48 MPH. I simplified the process by limiting the data to one version of each hull and engine combination. For example the 2015 Limited was chosen to represent all 2015+ 240 and 242 models. The result of which is this chart

MaxFuelRange.png

From there I wanted to be able to provide an estimate of range in Gulf Stream crossing conditions on the way to Bimini. To do so I extrapolated fuel consumption based on a 2015+ 242 having a fuel range of 56 miles at 18 MPH. This is consistent with some needing fuel a few miles from Bimini Sands while others made it into port after the 58 mile crossing in 2017. Here is the extrapolated data. As a test this method predicted my 2007 SX230 to have approximately a 78 mile range under the same conditions where my observed range was 79 miles. Here is the result

BiminiLikelyFuelRange.png

Furthermore I wanted to limit the data to just the boats in my group. I believe this explains why Chris24 (2014 212ss) and I (2007 SX230) had plenty of fuel while Betik (2011 SX240), Watergirl (2011 242 LS) and and @hobineros (2016 242 LSE) made it in on fumes.

BiminiLikelyFuelRange.4models.png

I have attached a spreadsheet with the raw data if you would like to add another model or improve upon the results.

Attachments

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great analysis. Certainly seems like the 1.8 was a step back in efficiency?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, I thought the current 242s were a lock for fuel. Seems like it could be a little close for comfort with a rough crossing.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is it possible to add the Scarab line up to that graph?

Would love to see that comparison.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm not sure how you could account for this variable, since they are likely all different... but what's the current theory regarding impact of trim tabs? Better or worse for gas mileage?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce this is great stuff. Depending on what data is available, I can probably forecast consumption for individual members. If works out, a user can log in his or her personal data and get an estimated range.

I will put something together for myself and upload it as sample.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BigAbe75, trims tabs likely decrease efficiency as they add drag.

@Betik, I did the interpolation in MySQL. I can give you access to that database if you would like. I am considering converting this to a web graphing tool from excel.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I will need to build a sample excel and share with you to see how physible it is to collect the data.

@BigAbe75 trim tabs will be one the components and i should be able to tell you if the impact is significant or not. If it is then tell you impact ( reduction in range due to trip tabs). Best case scenario I should be able to see the impact by percent deployment. This last one is too granular and I doubt that people remember trim tab % deployed, but I will build it in the excel just in case. Who knows maybe 2018 becomes a laboratory and in 2019 the moment we exit port Everglades and see the wave height and determine the minimum speed needed to arrive safely in Bimini.
Once we have a reliable forecast I can build scenarios and prescriped actions.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great analysis. Certainly seems like the 1.8 was a step back in efficiency?
Nah. I think the MR-1 guys just have a more steady hand! (lol)

But seriously there are way too many factors, not even the same person testing, and once you start playing with throttles - all bets are off.

To make it meaningful one would need to do the testing under same condition/in various boats equipped with something like RideSteady (for perfect engine synch, too).

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this data collected, or mfg specs?
I used BoatTest.com's smooth water two person, half tank test data as the starting point interpolating the 12 to 48 MPH maximum range from their numbers.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski is right that driving style, boat condition, weight of boat and water conditions make too much of a difference to accurately predict fuel consumption for something like a Bimini crossing. For example, while many 2015+ 240/242 models needed extra fuel to make the 2017 crossing Swatski arrived with 10 gallons remaining in his tank.

In the past I have used lower precision estimates. This data allows for a better understanding of which boats are likely to need fuel on a Bimini crossing.

I believe that Betik wants to gather multiple points of data from those making the crossing on a large scale to even more accurately predict consumption.

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Better add in a factor for the speed of the Gulf Stream pushing you ~5mph to the north :)

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is that the older non HO MR1 at the top of that graph? If so, I don't really understand why Yamaha decided to replace it with the TR1.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ancient canoe I believe the boat on top of the graph is @Bruce 's 07 sx230 which has H.O. MR-1s. There was probably nowhere left for Yamaha to go with the 1.1L MR-1s. They are a high compression 11.9-1 motors that would not like boosting with superchargers etc. They spin at 10,200 rpms WOT and can be noisy. The 1.8s opened up a new platform they could build upon.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The top green line is the 2007 SX210. The second highest, orange line, is the 2012 SX210. The 2007 SX230 comes in third at the purple line.

Interestingly the 2017 TR-1 powered SX210 is in the lower half of the graph with a max range of 130 miles.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is what I thought. Seems like the old non HO MR1 was much more efficient than it's predecessor TR1. Not sure why Yamaha pulled the plug on the MR1. Maybe the TR1 does better in other vehicles but just not boats?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce Sorry, mixed up the two colors between the 210 and 230, it makes sense being a smaller hull with the same H.O. engines.

EDIT: Was schooled and the 07 210 had non HO MR-1s

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They probably switched because people want more hp and torque. The mr1 is gutless down low. Boost is the way everything is moving for weight, economy, and emissions. I believe it's the hp wars on the jet skis that is driving engine development.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
H.O. engines
The 210 models had a non HO version of the MR-1. That engine was an option on 230s before 2007. It is interesting that those lower powered engines are the most efficient.