• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Abaco, Bahamas trip June 2017

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe they also have packed lightly as groceries are available at their destination.
True. But I don't recommend it next time! Just in this condo we've spent over $500 in groceries so far. Box of cereal $9. Case of water $12. Etc...The sign hanging in Snappa's says it best-

IMG_1595.JPG

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Food is expensive but look how big their hotdogs are. Walts wife said she has never seen a weiner that big before.IMG_1054.JPG

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Brittany said the same thing to me Saturday night ;):cigar:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Reminds me of the size of Nathan's Famous hot dogs which are pretty big and tasty.

Do they allow you to bring in meat from the US if you packed it on ice so you can save on some of the grocery buying over there?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've read it before and one boater said $100 but Bruce also mentioned nobody has asked or gave him any grief for bringing over foods from the US lol. I've never been but when I do go I would likely get a good cooler and try to pack meats to bring with me to cut down on expensive groceries over there. The $100 limit sounds fishy (no pun intended) to try and make sure you blow your money there for their economy or to pad someone's wallet in customs.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am planing on bringing whatever I need. If I end getting boarding by customs then we will figure it out. @ACrews seems to have gotten away with it.:D

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@haknslash, groceries are mininally available in Bimini so you have to bring everything with you.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash, groceries are mininally available in Bimini so you have to bring everything with you.
Yea I figured as much since it's more detached from the main tourist type island(s). I was just speaking in general that I would try to bring as much meat and groceries as I could rather than buy the expensive stuff there. $500 just in groceries and not even past the weekend since they arrived in Abaco is an eye opener lol!! That hot dog better taste like steak :D

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@haknslash, food is much less expensive in the US than any other country that I have been to. In the Bahamas most food has to be shipped or flown in. High transport costs and VAT (value added tax) are included in the purchase price.

Personally if I was boating 250 miles to the destination and food was available there I would load my boat lightly and pay more for the food. The heavier your boat the more fuel you will burn. They were making pretty big hops between fuel stops. I would guess that they burned close to $700 of fuel in each boat to get there.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMG_1061.JPG This was Brittanys prize for me for making it to Abacos. I thought you soon to be Bimini crossers may find this fitting.

Attachments

Last edited:

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've read it before and one boater said $100 but Bruce also mentioned nobody has asked or gave him any grief for bringing over foods from the US lol. I've never been but when I do go I would likely get a good cooler and try to pack meats to bring with me to cut down on expensive groceries over there. The $100 limit sounds fishy (no pun intended) to try and make sure you blow your money there for their economy or to pad someone's wallet in customs.
It isn't "fishy"! Lol. Their government will tell you up front, that's what it's about. They aren't trying to penalize the general public at all. They're mainly trying to keep you from profiting off of their people while skipping their taxes.

Being that they are so close to the US, it's just the best way they know how to keep track of it. $100 per person is a very reasonable amount. We ate like kings all week without having to hustle. Once our day was complete & the boat was docked, we were done. Being oceanfront in building 21 meant we could sit out on boucany & enjoy the view while dinner was being cooked.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am planing on bringing whatever I need. If I end getting boarding by customs then we will figure it out. @ACrews seems to have gotten away with it.:D
Didn't really get away with anything. We just happened to be within the legal limits.

When I was asked "What is the total amount of groceries that I was claiming" was, it would have been nice for me to know rather than saying what I had overheard my sister in law say she spent total on everything she bought! Haha

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ACrews was the first that I am aware of being asked about what groceries he had brought. I always declare food for a week or however long I am staying.

Allowing us to bring food is both very generous and necessary for Bimini.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I just read that 4 boats were stolen from various places in Abacos.
I sure hope you guys are not waking up to an empty slip...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not I! Likely not any of us. Our small harbor is locked at night, I guess that's why!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just read that 4 boats were stolen from various places in Abacos.
I sure hope you guys are not waking up to an empty slip...
It is sad but I have seen a good bit of wanted posters for stolen boats, all the boats had multiple Yamaha outboards, so I should be safe..