• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Abaco, Bahamas trip June 2017

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Andy S she is a trooper. Hoping for a fast recovery. She doesn't have any loss of motion or any red flags for other injuries? Sorry to hear this happened. I have hit mine but luckily with swim socks and cut those instead.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Andy S she is a trooper. Hoping for a fast recovery. She doesn't have any loss of motion or any red flags for other injuries? Sorry to hear this happened. I have hit mine but luckily with swim socks and cut those instead.
Thanks, hoping she recovers quick too, to early in the summer to be dealing with this. Right now she says other than a little throbbing and tenderness it is okay. We are keeping a close watch on it to catch any developing infection which we don't expect.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a picture of what the wife did to her foot when she kicked the trim tab while hanging over the edge of the swim deck for a potty break. For those that are concerned the trim tab suffered no damage. Thankfully this happened on the return trip and about 25 miles from West End. She is a tough and stubborn little lady, she is refusing to get stitches but is doing a good job keeping it covered.

Wow Andy I didn't realize it was that bad of a cut. Hopefully it will get better soon.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Andy S Saltwater can cause infections very fast which I'm sure you know. Hopefully home in your own bed and relaxing will make things heal a little faster and the pain go away.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is a picture of what the wife did to her foot when she kicked the trim tab while hanging over the edge of the swim deck for a potty break. For those that are concerned the trim tab suffered no damage. Thankfully this happened on the return trip and about 25 miles from West End. She is a tough and stubborn little lady, she is refusing to get stitches but is doing a good job keeping it covered.

I took a smaller slice like that out of my hand, and when a doc saw it he said it would have healed much faster and with less scaring if I'd had it stitched. You can only do this in the 1st 24 hours though....

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Now that I have been home for a little bit and mostly caught up, I now have a little time to write a quick statement about my thoughts on our Abaco trip.

First off, thanks to @robert843 , @1948Isaac , @Ramblin Wreck , and @veedubtek for a great time!!! Some of you I didn't get to spend as much time together I was would have liked but there is always the next great adventure.
Also, a big shout out of thanks to @Ramblin Wreck and Miss @Ramblin Wreck for creating great shirts for this trip. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This Abaco trip was a great experience and a very different trips than Bimini or Exuma. I really enjoyed Abaco, so much to experience on land and in the water that 5 days is not near enough time to fully enjoy everything that was available. At some point we will definitely have to go back to do more exploring.

The Good
- locals are very friendly and helpful
- amazing coral reefs (except when you get your boat stuck on one which all 3 boats were stuck at one point)
- plenty of out islands to enjoy their activities
- groceries are plentiful, especially at Maxwell's in Marsh Harbor
- plenty of restaurants to choose from, we really liked Grabbers on Guana Cay
- tons of places to stay, planning this trip our biggest issue was where to stay

The just OK, at least for me
- there is so much development and Americanization that it almost feels like you are in the Keys. Not that is a bad thing but if I go to another country I don't want it to necessarily feel like I'm back in the states.
- Potential crime is more of an issue, especially with stolen boats. The channel coming into Treasure Cay is locked with a cable strung across from 10pm until 6am. If you want to enter you have to contact security on VHF channel 16 and they will come open it for you. On Friday before we left, a boat was taken out of dry storage and put in the slip next to mine because the owners were coming in on Saturday. Due to theft of boats and especially outboard motors the 38' center console with triple Yamaha 350's was cabled and locked to the dock. Also, I saw numerous wanted posters for stolen boats. With all this potential crime, thankfully I never felt threatened.

If I rank my Bahamas trips in order of my enjoyment it would be Exuma, Bimini, and then Abaco. For me, the rawness and remoteness of Exuma and Bimini is what I prefer.

Now for some small world coincidences that I experienced in Abaco.

1. At the place we stayed in Treasure Cay, Palm Bay, there are 5 houses on the channel and I was in the second from the right. I meet the people staying in the 5th house from the right and found out that one of the couples live on Lake Murray, SC with their house about 10 miles from me. Also with all the out islands and activities, the day we went to Grabbers on Guana Cay to get lunch the couple from the 5th house also came to Grabbers and sat down at the table next to us before realizing they were next to us.

2. The gas dock on Treasure Cay is on the channel leading in/out of Treasure Cay. One day while getting gas I saw a new looking 26' Sea Hunt center console drive by with the boat name of Sea Hunt and port name of Columbia, SC, we waved at each other. On the same day we went to Grabbers, after eating lunch we walked over to Nippers Bar & Grill on the ocean side of Guana Cay. As we walked from Nippers to the ocean we ran into the crew on the Sea Hunt, another one of all the places to be in Abaco we run into them. We chatted for a little while and I found out that the captain of the Sea Hunt is a part owner of a house in Treasure Cay with the CEO of Sea Hunt boats, hence the name of the boat and Sea Hunt's are made in Columbia, SC. The guy I was talking too is the owner of Lighthouse marina on Lake Murray, SC which is about 5 miles from my house. Also, during our conversation I realized that the day before while we were in Hopetown having lunch they docked right next to us, at that time I didn't see the name or home port of the boat but being a Sea Hunt boat it stood out because I have never seen any other Sea Hunt's in the Bahamas.

3. Another day at the gas dock, after seeing my home port a nice 36" center console pulls up next to us to chat. Come to find out they also own a house in Treasure Cay and are from Orangeburg, SC about 40 miles east of Columbia, SC.

4. While at Grabbers the boat was moored off the beach and I was heading over to it to put something away when this tan Lab came up to me wanting me to throw her the stick she had. While playing with the dog the owners of the dog came over and we chatted. Come to find out they are taking a month to sail around Abaco with their home port of Charleston, SC.

5. A couple of time while at the fuel dock a 24'ish center console came in or out of the channel flying a 3'x5' Bahama courtesy flag and a South Carolina state flag. Each time we waved at the boat but they never reciprocated, they must have left their southern charm at home.

Just goes to show how small this world can be.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great video guys! Looks like an awesome trip. Sorry to see that gash on your Captain's foot! Hope she recovers with no problems.